Is Syl really the only honorspren on Roshar?

Chlehrma

I am very concerned that Jasna says that her Spren is an Honor Spren, but Syl says that she is the only Honor Spren that came.     This seems very suspicious.       Also, it seems that all Cryptics are not Symbol heads.    I need the book, so i can start figuring this out!!!

I don't think Jasnah ever says that! or am I wrong?  :(

I am very concerned that Jasna says that her Spren is an Honor Spren, but Syl says that she is the only Honor Spren that came.     This seems very suspicious.       Also, it seems that all Cryptics are not Symbol heads.    I need the book, so i can start figuring this out!!!

I don't think so either....   Jasnah states that Pattern is a different Spren,  but does not identify what type hers is, only that she has never seen a Cryptic before.  

“I had originally hoped that we would have the same type of spren,” Jasnah said  

The Cryptics have a fearful reputation, and yet this

one—the first specimen I’ve ever seen—seems…”

Yes and no.     In the WoR  Chapter 4,   (not exact words) Jasna says that there are two types of Spren.     Honor Spren  and Cryptics (Liespren) & then she goes on to say that Shallan needs to study her spren's development because no one has had the chance/done so for a Cryptic in written history.      Well if Jasnah's spren is a Cryptic, I would not think that she would have said it like that as she would certianally have documented her Spren's (Ivory) development. 

Quote:  "You are the only person in centuries to have the chance to interact with a Cryptic,"

Correct me if I am wrong, but that chapter sure seems to me to be saying that Jasna's Spren is an Honor Spren.

Yes and no. In the WoR Chapter 4, (not exact words) Jasna says that there are two types of Spren. Honor Spren and Cryptics (Liespren) & then she goes on to say that Shallan needs to study her spren's development because no one has had the chance/done so for a Cryptic in written history. Well if Jasnah's spren is a Cryptic, I would not think that she would have said it like that as she would certianally have documented her Spren's (Ivory) development.

Quote: "You are the only person in centuries to have the chance to interact with a Cryptic,"

Correct me if I am wrong, but that chapter sure seems to me to be saying that Jasna's Spren is an Honor Spren.

Although Jasnahs knowledge could be flawed, she only knows what she has learnt so far, so she might not know the differences between the types of spren

Although Jasnahs knowledge could be flawed, she only knows what she has learnt so far, so she might not know the differences between the types of spren

Jasnah's Ivory seems to be well developed, I would think that Ivory would be far enough along to be able to tell her what kind of Spren he is.     Surely!    Jasna first visited Sharedmar 6 years ago.    I think that her research would have led her to link up with her Ivory fairly quickly.   Probably (I would guess) 6 months, but since that is a guess, let's say at most 2 years.    That gives 4 years at least for Jasna and Ivory to develop.    She should know by now what type of Spren she has by now.      She seems very developed in her powers.     Not sure how far along she is on the KR "Ideals" though.     Can't wait for her to get to/talk to Daninar/Kal  +++ 

It depends on what you define as an honorspren.  Wyndle in the Lift interlude specifically refers to Cryptics and Honorspren(Capital H.    Several other usages use the lower case.  So is it a specific type or a category or both?  Are Cryptics then a category or a specific type?

It depends on what you define as an honorspren.  Wyndle in the Lift interlude specifically refers to Cryptics and Honorspren(Capital H.    Several other usages use the lower case.  So is it a specific type or a category or both?  Are Cryptics then a category or a specific type?

I expect it's like "American" in English, or "norteamericano" (North American) in Spanish, where it technically could refer to a group of countries, but idiomatically it always means the USA. There might be tension between Honorspren saying "This is what we call ourselves. It's our name," and other spren saying "Um, we're made of Honor too. You can't claim ownership of that." And in this case, the Honorspren probably won, since Wyndle refers to them as a group comparable to Cryptics.

Jasnah does not say that Cryptics and honorspren are the only kinds of spren.  The "two kinds of spren" she refers to are emotion-type spren and nature-type spren.  The only thing she says about honorspren is that they and Cryptics do not get along.  I'm also reasonably confident that each order had a different type of spren (I want to say there's WoB for this but I can't definitively say).

Well, at least we know for a fact that Andolin's spren is the giant one from the interlude chapter with the collector. It's true nature is that of an Egospren, and I do strongly believe that the size is proportionate. 

Yes and no.     In the WoR  Chapter 4,   (not exact words) Jasna says that there are two types of Spren.     Honor Spren  and Cryptics (Liespren) & then she goes on to say that Shallan needs to study her spren's development because no one has had the chance/done so for a Cryptic in written history.      Well if Jasnah's spren is a Cryptic, I would not think that she would have said it like that as she would certianally have documented her Spren's (Ivory) development. 

Quote:  "You are the only person in centuries to have the chance to interact with a Cryptic,"

Jasnah said the two types where emotion based spren and nature based spren. Wyndle specifically says both Honorspren and Cryptics come to visit his gardens, so he thinks there are more types of sprens. Would take Wyndle's word rather than Jasnah's as her only source of info at the moment seems to be ivory and he might or might not have complete memory back.

Well, at least we know for a fact that Andolin's spren is the giant one from the interlude chapter with the collector. It's true nature is that of an Egospren, and I do strongly believe that the size is proportionate. 

If it's ego spren and size in proportion then it'll be in fact huge beyond measure. I like that. Egospren.

• 1 month later...

From Chapter 33, where Syl and Kaladin are talking after the first encounter with Szeth:

"But no other honorspren are doing what I do. I am the only one who disobeyed."

I read this as there are other honorspren, but they have not left the cognitive realm yet.

Perhaps now with the engagement of the Stormfather, their restrictions will be relaxed and we'll see more cross-over.

I think with the full re-founding some honorspren might take the plunge and attach themselves to some of the squires that Kaladin is cultivating in Bridge 4. 

It's interesting that at one point Kaladin almost seems to translate over to Shadesmar IIRC... and all those windspren at the end of the fight scene seem mighty suspicious to me!

I expect it's like "American" in English, or "norteamericano" (North American) in Spanish, where it technically could refer to a group of countries, but idiomatically it always means the USA. There might be tension between Honorspren saying "This is what we call ourselves. It's our name," and other spren saying "Um, we're made of Honor too. You can't claim ownership of that." And in this case, the Honorspren probably won, since Wyndle refers to them as a group comparable to Cryptics.

I think a better example would be the English language.  Sure, you can say you're speaking English.  But is it English English (i.e. English as spoken in England)?  Or is it American English?  Australian English?

• Chaos locked this topic