Very Dumb argument about Knife Colour

Merrickz

Question

So I found a cool picture on like of some Mistborn glass knives and showed them to my friend. He thought looked cool but that the blades of the knives were the wrong colour (they were clear glass). He thought they should be black (obsidian). This sparked a dumb argument and we now want a definitive answer.

Are all Mistborn knives obsidian or are there some obsidian ones and some glass ones?

Please settle this stupid fight.

Edited by Merrickz

5 answers to this question

Vin used glass knives in Book 1. Kelsier points out the broken one she dropped on the ground when he tells her that you don't have to make hand-motions to steel-push.

Elend stabs Jastes with an obsidian knife in Book 2. Granted, he wasn't Mistborn at the time, but I believe it was "the knife Vin gave him."

We do not know whether the glass knives were clear glass, but I imagine that they would be, since the alternative would be stained glass of some color. Even if they were stained black, it seems a bit convoluted/out of place to me.

Long story short, both were used but I do not know if obsidian ones were a recent change that Vin decided to do after TLR died(a year did pass after all)

40 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Long story short, both were used but I do not know if obsidian ones were a recent change that Vin decided to do after TLR died(a year did pass after all)

Obsidian is so rusting sharp that it would be a clearly superior choice to normal glass.

However, I always wondered why nobody used bone knives.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Obsidian is so rusting sharp that it would be a clearly superior choice to normal glass.

However, I always wondered why nobody used bone knives.

I remember people complaining about how brittle real-world obsidian knives were, so maybe that's why. An Inquisitor Axehead is wider than a knife and should chip rather than snap.

As for Bone, given that Kandra are not exactly "common knowledge" per se, I imagine that using bone for knives was considered a bit morbid. (I know you could just use bones from livestock of some sort, but the whole thing gets lumped together)

24 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I remember people complaining about how brittle real-world obsidian knives were, so maybe that's why. An Inquisitor Axehead is wider than a knife and should chip rather than snap.

Actually (if MAG cover is any indication), Inquisitor axes resemble real-life obsidian weapons (wikipedia).

28 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

As for Bone, given that Kandra are not exactly "common knowledge" per se, I imagine that using bone for knives was considered a bit morbid. (I know you could just use bones from livestock of some sort, but the whole thing gets lumped together)

If I'm not mistaken, bone blades were used in prehistory. With Scadrial's drive to avoid metal blades there's no reason not to turn towards bone blades. I'm gonna ask Brandon about bone knives sometime.