Rock KNOWS

“Another one?” Rock asked, eyeing Kaladin’s Shardblade. “Or is he yours?” And then later...

"We had to get off him for Shallan Davar to transport herself back.”

First Rock calls the Honor blade "him" does this mean Honor is still in the honorblades? But then makes the same reference to the plateau, which means the oath gates, are (were???) spren? I'm not sure but I feel this MEANS something. Your thoughts?!

11 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

First Rock calls the Honor blade "him" does this mean Honor is still in the honorblades? But then makes the same reference to the plateau, which means the oath gates, are (were???) spren? I'm not sure but I feel this MEANS something. Your thoughts?!

I think it's a language issue, as Alethi is not rocks primary language. I'd have to go back and look, but I thought he regularly used pronouns in place of "it." 

Of course, his ability to see spren does raise some questions there so... 

Edited by Calderis

29 minutes ago, CJ Feboris said:

Shallan uses the same construct when imitating horneater. I think it is a language commonality, i.e. the pronoun in horneater is consistently gendered and therefore when it is translated by Rock (and ostensibly others) it is "him." 

But this could be an indication that all horneaters recognize the spren in life around them.

2 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

But this could be an indication that all horneaters recognize the spren in life around them.

Except we know that's not true. It's an ability rock was born with, and is obviously not unheard of on the peaks, but he had a name for what he is. 

That implies it is special. If it were just a Unkalaki thing then he'd have said air sick lowlanders couldn't see spren,but it was a name for people with his ability. 

I think @CJ Feboris is correct. Think of it like French. All objects have are gendered. Le and La prior to a noun designates masculine or feminine. If the Unkalaki language has gendered nouns, than its merely a language quirk. 

Wasn't Rock's razor a "he" as well? 

31 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Except we know that's not true. It's an ability rock was born with, and is obviously not unheard of on the peaks, but he had a name for what he is. 

That implies it is special. If it were just a Unkalaki thing then he'd have said air sick lowlanders couldn't see spren,but it was a name for people with his ability. 

I think @CJ Feboris is correct. Think of it like French. All objects have are gendered. Le and La prior to a noun designates masculine or feminine. If the Unkalaki language has gendered nouns, than its merely a language quirk. 

Wasn't Rock's razor a "he" as well? 

And it's not even specific things, it's often non-specific actions

Where would the portal be? Most likely at the center, so that was the direction she went. There she found a large stone mound. “This is all?”Rock asked. “He is just more rock.”

Rock’s head leaned in over him. “Is fun to watch,” he said. “But this thing, you are certain she can work?”“The assassin walked on the ceiling,” Kaladin said.

I think it really is just language construction. Many European languages use gender nouns, my Czech lady does it ask the time. Rock seems to use he and she for a range of things. 

And Rock can see Spren, sure, as Calderis says it seems to be him particularly

“I am alaii’iku,”Rock said, raising a hand to his breast. “Which means?”Sigzil asked impatiently. “That I can see these spren, and you cannot.”Rock rested a hand on the smaller man’s shoulder. “It is all right, friend. I do not blame you for being blind. Most lowlanders are. It is the air, you see. Makes your brains stop working right.”

But i guess it could be all Horneaters, we'd need to meet more to know, but they are after all part Parshendi.

Either way though i think the reference to the HonorBlade is probably just a language gender thing, not to do with Rock actually seeing the source of the investiture in an Honorblade AND identifying that source as distinctly Honor AND realizing that Honor's now-dead Vessel was once male.

16 minutes ago, Extesian said:

And it's not even specific things, it's often non-specific actions

I think it really is just language construction. Many European languages use gender nouns, my Czech lady does it ask the time. Rock seems to use he and she for a range of things. 

And Rock can see Spren, sure, as Calderis says it seems to be him particularly

But i guess it could be all Horneaters, we'd need to meet more to know, but they are after all part Parshendi.

Either way though i think the reference to the HonorBlade is probably just a language gender thing, not to do with Rock actually seeing the source of the investiture in an Honorblade AND identifying that source as distinctly Honor AND realizing that Honor's now-dead Vessel was once male.

Or it isn't :ph34r:

I know I know very little ground to go on, but it would be neat imho and sure it may only apply to some horneaters.

I realize that there is almost no possible way that Rock knows Syl is his Shardblade, but if he somehow understood that concept then he could have falsely assumed that the Honorblade was also a Spren(the way Kaladin sort-of did before he learned)

I don't know if Horneater culture has legends of the KR, but without character backstory, everybody knows more than they let on.

Actually, what might asking "Is he yours?" imply?

1. He doesn't recognize the Assassin in White's Shardblade
  2. He thinks that the Honorblade is Kaladin's Sprenblade and that he stole the first one to battle Szeth (since the spear failed him last time)
  3. He thinks that Kaladin bonded/was given the Honorblade at some point
  4. Some other illogical assumption..

As you can see, all of these ideas that could make Rock's sentence seem reasonable don't hold up in the overall context.

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I realize that there is almost no possible way that Rock knows Syl is his Shardblade, but if he somehow understood that concept then he could have falsely assumed that the Honorblade was also a Spren(the way Kaladin sort-of did before he learned)

I don't know if Horneater culture has legends of the KR, but without character backstory, everybody knows more than they let on.

Actually, what might asking "Is he yours?" imply?

1. He doesn't recognize the Assassin in White's Shardblade
  2. He thinks that the Honorblade is Kaladin's Sprenblade and that he stole the first one to battle Szeth (since the spear failed him last time)
  3. He thinks that Kaladin bonded/was given the Honorblade at some point
  4. Some other illogical assumption..

As you can see, all of these ideas that could make Rock's sentence seem reasonable don't hold up in the overall context.

Or he can see Tanavast in the blades, and is recognizing there investiture as coming from a male entity

• Chaos locked this topic