Hoid is a mistborn

King Cole

While delving through this site i have seen a few times that people believe that Hoid used the bead of Lerasium with other metals in order to make himself a misting. However I believe that I have proof that he used the bead to become a full Mistborn. Before I go into this, my proof is based on Brandon Sanderson replying to this question. 

I'm pretty sure Slowswift is Hoid in Hero of Ages. The Ars Arcanum says he "bears a striking resemblance to a storyteller", which I take to mean Hoid.

Hoid appears in that same chapter, but Vin doesn't meet him.   Something he does spooks her.   She's just too darn observant for her own good.

Here is where I got it from

If you go back and read chapter 27 in Hero of Ages, you will see that after Vin leaves Slowswifts's manor, she is followed by a Mistborn that suddenly disappears and she believes to be the Mistspirit, but because it is burning Steel distinctly, and the Mistspirit has a random beat when she burns bronze, we can assume it isn't the Mistspirit. I don't think we ever found out the identity of the Mistborn which leads me to believe that this was indeed Hoid.

But why this confirms that Hoid was a Mistborn as opposed to a misting. Hoid was definetly burning Copper here but Vin was still able to pick up on his Burning. However, if he was planning to become a Misting why would he choose Copper as an ability. It would only be useful on Scadrial so I don't think that Hoid would waste his time on picking up this ability.

Please comment what you think of this theory.

41 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Hoid was definitely burning Copper here but Vin was still able to pick up on his Burning.

If that Mistborn was actually Hoid, then he most assuredly was not burning Copper. He would be a Lerasium Mistborn, which means that Vin could not have pierced his Coppercloud at all, A-Bronze spike or not. This doesn't prove this person is/isn't Hoid and/or a Mistborn, but its something to think about.

43 minutes ago, King Cole said:

It would only be useful on Scadrial so I don't think that Hoid would waste his time on picking up this ability.

Brandon has stated that copper could block other manifestations of Investiture(though we have almost no idea which ones..)

12 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

If that Mistborn was actually Hoid, then he most assuredly was not burning Copper. He would be a Lerasium Mistborn, which means that Vin could not have pierced his Coppercloud at all, A-Bronze spike or not. This doesn't prove this person is/isn't Hoid and/or a Mistborn, but its something to think about.

• But it does seem as if Brandon's quote is in reference to this character right?

11 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Slowswift is an homage to Tolkien, I believe. An out-of-universe reference, not an in-universe one.

This is correct. 

INTERVIEW: Oct, 2008

AHOYMATEY (15 OCTOBER 2008)

Brandon, I just wanted to confirm that you did have a couple of cameos as Slowswift? Or was that mean to be someone else?

CHAOS

I'm pretty sure Slowswift is Hoid. The Ars Arcanum says he "bears a striking resemblance to a storyteller", which I take to mean Hoid.

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

Slowswift is an homage to Grandpa Tolkien. A study of his personality will reveal why that name was chosen for him.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hoid appears in that same chapter, but Vin doesn't meet him. Something he does spooks her. She's just too darn observant for her own good.

FOOTNOTE

This is actually the first time Brandon mentioned Hoid.

TAGS

10 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Brandon has stated that copper could block other manifestations of Investiture(though we have almost no idea which ones..)

I'm having trouble finding the WoB but I am positive there is a relatively recent one where Brandon confirmed that Copper could interfere with the Listener Rhythms. I also remember him confirming that a Copper cloud could block the life sense of the first Heightening.

Edited by The Sovereign

11 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

This is correct. 

I'm having trouble finding the WoB but I am positive there is a relatively recent one where Brandon confirmed that Copper could interfere with the Listener Rhythms. I also remember him confirming that a Copper cloud could block the life sense of the first Heightening.

This 'un

Boskone 2/17 House War Q&A
Q: Could a Soother prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
A: No. A coppercloud could, but I hadn't thought about emotional allomancy interacting. See, the rhythm isn't your emotion and doesn't determine your mood. It is a direct connection to the spiritual realm. So I guess soothing could make it harder just like it makes anything harder, in the same way that driving a car would be harder. [recording starts here] And so, for the same reasons that you can, um, it is possible that a coppercloud can play with it.  Not a normal power of a coppercloud, but you’ve seen them do stuff similar.

Not sure about the heightening one though

Edit - Nope found it

Q: Could a feruchemist hide from life sense
by storing and which metals?
A: So lifesense on Nalthis, someone storing, what was it, investiture? Could they hide from Lifesense? Um, yeah that would work.
Q: And which metals would they need to store, investiture, connection…
A: That would probably be investiture, that’s theoretically plausible, hiding your entire sense, a little bit easier with a copper cloud, which is how you would normally go about it,[e] but you could make your investiture vanish to the point that…yeah I think that’s theoretically possible.
Q: So life sense works on Connection?
A: Life sense works by sensing…life, so it’s not necessarily just Connection because you can go off-world from Nalthis and still sense the life to which you are not Connected.

Edited by Extesian

4 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

This is correct. 

Ok, but do you think that the Mistborn in this chapter is Hoid?

3 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Ok, but do you think that the Mistborn in this chapter is Hoid?

No, we know from secret history that the Mistborn you mention

Is really just Ruin influences Vin.

Regarding your other post, yes Hoid is likely a Mistborn rather than a Misting.

• Chaos locked this topic