Which cosmere character can you relate to the most? /Edit: Mostly Adolin psychoanalysis chat group

19 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

I think I always related most to Raoden. When reading Elantris, practically every decision he made, I would make the same. I'd like to think that I'm as optimistic and focused on making things better as he is. And I totally would tinker with Aons as he did. 

I liked Raoden. Elantris gets little love, on average, but I really enjoyed reading it. 

@Staphylococcus @maxal I can't relate to all that stuff about what characters/books you like/dislike.  I just think that every single thing about Brandon's cosmere is absolutely perfect and amazing.  I could not point out a single flaw if you asked me. ^_^ Sorry for not being helpful 'bout that.

Edited by Runeweaver

@maxal yeah, I'm now aware my assumptions were very incorrect and I'm thankful for that.

I'm always worried when talking to somone from the US about sounding incredibly racist, because, well, nobody really cares about being politically correct over here :D 

And yeah, I've noticed there is no REAL middle class but kind of an equivalent of that would be richer darkeyes and lower-born lighteyes.

9 hours ago, maxal said:

Kaladin might not be our typical under-dog, but he is presented as such, he thinks as such and he behaves as such, thus he fits the bill. :ph34r: Mind, I still like Kaladin, but he has grown in a negative way with me in WoR, hopefully Oathbringer can settle it.

And this is exactly what I think, there was some weird stuff going on, like, I didn't even like him befriending Moash. That guy seemed shady to me since the very beginning. :ph34r: And almost letting himself get manipulated to the point of participating in Elhokar's murder? I was kind of disappointed :(

Plus I don't like where that Kaladin/Shallan thing is going. I want her to stay with Adolin.

@Runeweaver All of them? Really? Even Amaram, or Sadeas? :D But your point of view is really sweet, it's nice to love everyone equally. I just...tend to have very strong opinions about stuff in general :D

5 hours ago, Runeweaver said:

@Staphylococcus @maxal I can't relate to all that stuff about what characters/books you like/dislike.  I just think that every single thing about Brandon's cosmere is absolutely perfect and amazing.  I could not point out a single flaw if you asked me. ^_^ Sorry for not being helpful 'bout that.

That's OK: each reader's experience is different. Also, simply because we sometimes disagree with some narrative choices and/or because we might dislike one or two characters does not mean we don't love Brandon Sanderson. You should read what I have to say about author stories I am less found of :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Staphylococcus said:

@maxal yeah, I'm now aware my assumptions were very incorrect and I'm thankful for that.

I'm always worried when talking to somone from the US about sounding incredibly racist, because, well, nobody really cares about being politically correct over here :D 

I am not from the US ;), I am from Quebec, in Canada. No need to worry about being politically correct with me, I am not sensitive over these issues. Also, this isn't Tumblr. People aren't going to get so easily offended.

5 hours ago, Staphylococcus said:

And this is exactly what I think, there was some weird stuff going on, like, I didn't even like him befriending Moash. That guy seemed shady to me since the very beginning. :ph34r: And almost letting himself get manipulated to the point of participating in Elhokar's murder? I was kind of disappointed :(

Plus I don't like where that Kaladin/Shallan thing is going. I want her to stay with Adolin.

In Kaladin's case I was mostly disappointed from seeing him changed from a very pro-active character always trying to use whichever agency he has within WoK to a very reactive one refusing to use his agency. He spent the whole book having an unrealistic fear Dalinar would steal Syl away from him: I cannot believe he didn't know it wasn't possible... I also didn't like how the story was arranged to have him be thrown into prison just so he could agree to murder Elhokar which led to him killing Syl just so he could have a "moment" later on when he predictably regained his powers. I felt the whole "murder Syl" part wasn't required and it annoyed me because the entire arc felt forced. 

But prior to Part 4, I rather enjoyed Kaladin. He has had good moment, such as him horseback ridding and one snippet of Oathbringer did give me a whole new perspective on Adolin's taunting.

I too would prefer if Shallan remained with Adolin, but I think it is inevitable something will happen with Kaladin. What I do not know is will it last?

15 hours ago, maxal said:

I am not from the US ;), I am from Quebec, in Canada. No need to worry about being politically correct with me, I am not sensitive over these issues. Also, this isn't Tumblr. People aren't going to get so easily offended.

Ooooooh. OK :D My assumption was based solely on the times you usually reply :D

In Kaladin's case I was mostly disappointed from seeing him changed from a very pro-active character always trying to use whichever agency he has within WoK to a very reactive one refusing to use his agency. He spent the whole book having an unrealistic fear Dalinar would steal Syl away from him: I cannot believe he didn't know it wasn't possible... I also didn't like how the story was arranged to have him be thrown into prison just so he could agree to murder Elhokar which led to him killing Syl just so he could have a "moment" later on when he predictably regained his powers. I felt the whole "murder Syl" part wasn't required and it annoyed me because the entire arc felt forced. 

Now that you talk about is, I realized that yes, it really did feel forced! I always knew I didn't like that part much but I didn't know what about it. But Brandon usually writes really unexpected storylines - that's what I like about him and this was...there just to be there and everyone knew he'd help Elhokar and Syl'd come back.

But prior to Part 4, I rather enjoyed Kaladin. He has had good moment, such as him horseback ridding and one snippet of Oathbringer did give me a whole new perspective on Adolin's taunting.

I too would prefer if Shallan remained with Adolin, but I think it is inevitable something will happen with Kaladin. What I do not know is will it last?

What perspective??? Plz tell me!!! :D We probably can't talk about it here but if you'd be so kind and write me a message. I'd really love to hear it. :)

I loved that horseriding part too, as I myself am a rider, my heart was in my throat and I was like "you, sir, are an idiot" the entire time :D But I laughed so hard :D

21 hours ago, Staphylococcus said:

Ooooooh. OK :D My assumption was based solely on the times you usually reply :D

It is a pretty big time zone ;)

Now that you talk about is, I realized that yes, it really did feel forced! I always knew I didn't like that part much but I didn't know what about it. But Brandon usually writes really unexpected storylines - that's what I like about him and this was...there just to be there and everyone knew he'd help Elhokar and Syl'd come back.

These scenes weren't suppose to happen until a later time. I assume Brandon had a reason to make them happen earlier. It may be why they felt rush for some readers.

What perspective??? Plz tell me!!! :D We probably can't talk about it here but if you'd be so kind and write me a message. I'd really love to hear it. :)

I loved that horseriding part too, as I myself am a rider, my heart was in my throat and I was like "you, sir, are an idiot" the entire time :D But I laughed so hard :D

Sent you a PM. It is kind of a small spoiler for Oathbringer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the character I can most relate to is Elhokar, I find myself repeating his "how does everyone else know what to do" bit to myself fairly often. I just don't get how every one else seem to be able to handle themselves (or at least fake it) no matter the situation. Where as I seem to screw up everything I try no matter how much experience I have, it all seems to leave me when I get put on the spot.

6 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the character I can most relate to is Elhokar, I find myself repeating his "how does everyone else know what to do" bit to myself fairly often. I just don't get how every one else seem to be able to handle themselves (or at least fake it) no matter the situation. Where as I seem to screw up everything I try no matter how much experience I have, it all seems to leave me when I get put on the spot.

This is really interesting for me, as I, most of the time, found Elhokar really annoying. You let me see how he/people like him might feel and think and I thank you for it!

I'm avoiding the Adolin stuff, so feel free to ignore this: 

I relate most to Sarene. I love books and I like figuring people out. I also have blonde hair and blue-grey eyes, but I'm unfortunately not tall. I also share a lot of her insecurities about not being included. At my school, I will often take charge of projects and things. My classmates will listen, but I won't be a member of the friendly banter. One of my favorite characters is Kaladin, because I really relate to how much he strives to succeed. 

4 hours ago, Aon Ene said:

t my school, I will often take charge of projects and things. My classmates will listen, but I won't be a member of the friendly banter. One of my favorite characters is Kaladin, because I really relate to how much he strives to succeed. 

Yeah this basically describes my whole high school life. I really feel you. It will get better though! ;)

Kaladin and Jasnah honestly. 

Kaladin for his need to keep those he cares for safe, and his battles with depression/apathy. 

Jasnah, for her beliefs and the reasons behind them. The need to keep wondering, and for questions. The displeasure with anyone who tries to give an unsatisfactory answer and force you to hold to it.

Our education is never complete. The moment we stop learning is the moment we die. Some people just forget to stop walking and talking at that point. 

I think I will be the first one on the thread to say Galladon. I feel that he is a man that tries to be a happy, good, kind person that takes things on faith (my evidence for this is his continuing to believe in Raoden) but his natural personality seems to lean towards pessimism, pragmatism and depression.

• 2 months later...

I relate most to Lift. She is constantly making a joke about something but knows when things get serious and responds to it. She also wants to help people but she isn't always faced with physically beatable problems, so she must help them by listening and caring, which is how I want to help people in real life.

I think for me it ends up being Shallan, actually, even though she really annoys me sometimes. Her struggles with living true to herself, even just finding out what the truth is and accepting it, balancing it with her responsibility for her family and ambitions and covering it all with a thick layer of snarky humor kinda ... strikes a chord. And her taking on the role of being the witty one to try and help I recognize as well. Her love for artistry and biology ... And I really relate to Pattern, weirdly.

• 2 months later...
On 20/06/2017 at 3:22 PM, Tesh said:

I'm definitely most like Elend in the first book. For example, I ALWAYS have a book on me.

I think I would get along with Shallan best. I don't know why.

I agree with this, except I have a feeling I'd argue with Shallan and end up better friends with Renarin/Adolin/Wit (who are very different characters, but you know... :wacko:)

2 hours ago, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

I agree with this, except I have a feeling I'd argue with Shallan and end up better friends with Renarin/Adolin/Wit (who are very different characters, but you know... :wacko:)

I agree south that also...

• Chaos locked this topic