Not Enough Time

Benjibooboo

I was actually thinking the opposite, that a chasm run would be the ideal time for Szeth to strike. At camp, not only does Dalinar have the personal guard but he is in the middle of literally thousands of troops. Szeth could kill him in that situation but would have an extremely difficult time getting away after the task is completed.

The cover for WoR somewhat backs up the location being on the plains but they aren't exactly canon either so may not be an exact depiction of the scene.

Well, Szeth has used the element of surprise in almost all of his assassination attempts so far (as far as we know, anyway).  Even the attack on the Vedan king was of him bursting through the guards into the feast room and catching the participants by surprise, which strongly implies he snuck into the palace/compound before killing all of the folks at the feast, as he was commanded:

“Kill as you have never killed before.  Lay the innocent screaming at your feet and make the lighteyes weep.” (I-9, Death Wears White)

For maximum effect, Szeth couldn’t let them know he was coming, and he appears to have caught the diners unaware.

I see it far easier for Szeth to use his Lashings to sneak into the Kholin camp, than for him to attack Dalinar during a plateau assault.

Let’s think logistics. 

1. He’d have to know when Dalinar was scheduled to attend an assault. 

2. He’d either need to

a. guess where the plateau assault would be beforehand (in order to place himself in a position where he could strike);

b. find separate transportation to get to the site without being noticed by either the Alethi or the Parshendi; or

c. travel with the Alethi armies

3. If he traveled with the Alethi armies, he would likely need to infiltrate that army by fulfilling some role of the army. 

a. However, it’s highly likely that every unaccounted for Shin traveling in the eastern part of Roshar is being highly scrutinized by now, so it’s unlikely that Szeth would be given any position that gets him close to a high prince during battle.

b. If he joined the army, he’s likely to be placed close to the actual fighting and Dalinar is staying away from the actual fighting.

4. It’s highly unlikely that he would be with the Parshendi’s force when Dalinar’s army (with Dalinar in attendance) would do a plateau assault.  And if he was, he would go noticed right away.  Chances are high, the focus of the assault would shift to defeating him.  I find it highly unlikely that Szeth survives the concentrated attack of the armies of 2 High princes when they see the actual assassin of their former king.

However, if Szeth were to try to infiltrate the camp and kill Dalinar that way, it would allow for a lot more stealth and factors that Szeth can control.  The factors that Szeth couldn’t account for would decrease in this scenario.

That’s why I think it more likely Szeth attempts to strike while Dalinar is in camp, and probably in his rooms.

(You do make a good point about the cover art, though.  I wonder if that is just artistic license, or maybe Kaladin takes the fight with Szeth outside?)

Edited by KiManiak

My last post wasn't that clear. I think it's very unlikely Adolin is just going to happen to be in his shardplate when Szeth shows up. What I was getting at though, is that there seems to be a general assumption around here that Szeth is just going to saunter in and go at it one-on-one with Kaladin while everyone else sits back and watches the fireworks.

There's a lot of capable warriors who have a high chance of being in the vicinity when Szeth strikes. Unless he actively plans to get Dalinar alone there's a whole heap of people who might make things difficult for Szeth:

- Kaladin

- Bridge 4

- Dalinar himself (doesn't have shards, but worth mentioning)

- Adolin (even without his plate he's still am amazing swordsman)

- Renarin (doubt he himself will be much use but he does have shards, maybe he could lend his blade to Dalinar?)

- Amaram (he's around now, he's a shardbearer, he's buds with dalinar)

- Elhokar (Full shardbearer, almost always wearing his plate, probably not the most capable warrior though)

Now it's entirely possible that none of these will be around at the time of the attack. But given Szeth's track record, i find it unlikely that he'll go in quiet. So there's a chance a few of them could be around, which is going to make this one of Szeth's harder fights at the very least.

Edited by Moist_von_Lipwig

However, if Szeth were to try to infiltrate the camp and kill Dalinar that way, it would allow for a lot more stealth and factors that Szeth can control.  The factors that Szeth couldn’t account for would decrease in this scenario.

That’s why I think it more likely Szeth attempts to strike while Dalinar is in camp, and probably in his rooms.

(You do make a good point about the cover art, though.  I wonder if that is just artistic license, or maybe Kaladin takes the fight with Szeth outside?)

I was saying that since Dalinar usually doesn't attend the Chasm runs, it would be prim time to attack. Dalinar's army would be gone and Dalinar himself would be in his rooms

My last post wasn't that clear. I think it's very unlikely Adolin is just going to happen to be in his shardplate when Szeth shows up. What I was getting at though, is that there seems to be a general assumption around here that Szeth is just going to saunter in and go at it one-on-one with Kaladin while everyone else sits back and watches the fireworks.

There's a lot of capable warriors who have a high chance of being in the vicinity when Szeth strikes. Unless he actively plans to get Dalinar alone there's a whole heap of people who might make things difficult for Szeth:

- Kaladin

- Bridge 4

- Dalinar himself (doesn't have shards, but worth mentioning)

- Adolin (even without his plate he's still am amazing swordsman)

- Renarin (doubt he himself will be much use but he does have shards, maybe he could lend his blade to Dalinar?)

- Amaram (he's around now, he's a shardbearer, he's buds with dalinar)

- Elhokar (Full shardbearer, almost always wearing his plate, probably not the most capable warrior though)

Now it's entirely possible that none of these will be around at the time of the attack. But given Szeth's track record, i find it unlikely that he'll go in quiet. So there's a chance a few of them could be around, which is going to make this one of Szeth's harder fights at the very least.

We also need to consider Jasnah and Shallan.

Jasnah is not helpless as demostrated by the ethics lesson.

Shallan is no warrior but she has a Shardblade that could play a role as suprise (catching Seth unawares) or mabye loaned to Dalinar.

I have a feeling it really won't come to a fight. I think there is maybe some substance to the "Seth wrote on Dalinars wall" theory. Seth is obviously a very moral guy and hates what he does when commanded. He has been told to make an example of Daliners in a very messy way it seems. This may be his way of ensuring everyone knows to expect something, bending the constraints of his command in the hope to give everyone a fighting chance and hopefully put an end to his misery.

This also causes a little alarm that Seth (if he did write it) managed to sneak past Kaladin and co so easily

realy stuned that everyone thinks/writes about Szeth.

im sure Szeth will get there eventually, but i think this is somehting else.

i guess its something Desolation/Odium related, but i could see an attack of the Parshendi against the camps too.

- strongest/longest Highstorm ever?

- the Parshendi summoned storm?

- Odiums spren/creatures attacking?

- Parshendi attack?

- Sedeas coup for the throne?(civilwar)

- Darkness attacking Shallan/Jasnah at the shattered plains

just some alternatives to Szeth =) ok - some are not realy likely but possebilities

sooner or later there must be something an Desolation/Odium related event. dont think we need to wait for the 3. book for this =)

• Chaos locked this topic