Help me find crazy fictional superstitions :)

Leviathan

So! I need a bunch of superstitions and/or things involving the number 13 from fictional works (don't care if it's games, books, tv, movies, etc).

Anyone able to help me out? Random superstitions and such from media you happen to have seen recently?

*Edit* To clarify, I'm looking for superstitions from fictional works, rather than randomly made up superstitions.

Edited by Leviathan

Did you know Outer Mongolians consider 13 a dangerous number, a number of change, usually for the negative. Genghis Khan's 13th and last wife was poorly chosen, for love, and betrayed him to his death. Now people tithe one 13th of their wealth, knock down the 13th building of a town and rebuild it, kill the 13th offspring of any domesticated animal unless it's perfect, have initiation rituals for men on their 13th birthday and give one 13th of their food to the poor?

Nah, none of it's true :( But it could be?

I know none unfortunately, other than the well known one of not having a floor 13 in buildings, numbering going 12 straight on to 14. But I'm looking forward to hearing ones that are true! I find superstition fascinating.

13 is considered a happy number.

Triskaidekaphobia.

Loki is the 13th Norse god in the pantheon.

In some countries, some consider 13 lucky and 17 unlucky. That would mean...Uh oh, cough *17th Shard* cough.

Taylor Swift considers 13 her lucky number.

A devil's dozen is the number 13.

They say there are 12 Doctors, but there are actually 13 of them.

Are you looking more for real world examples of superstitions that are false (i.e. Step on a crack break your mother's back) or are you looking for superstitions from fiction (i.e. those who bear the foretold's stare have 66 seconds to live. "Doctor Who")?

Edited by theuntaintedchild

6 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

In some countries, some consider 13 lucky

In my country 13 is a really unlucky number, it is belief that if you get married the 13th it won't end well.

3 hours ago, Rillian said:

The 13 Royal Knights from Digimon

I thought that there were only 12, I may have missed one.

9 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

Are you looking more for real world examples of superstitions that are false (i.e. Step on a crack break your mother's back) or are you looking for superstitions from fiction (i.e. those who bear the foretold's stare have 66 seconds to live. "Doctor Who")?

I should possible clarify my OP :)

I'm looking for superstitions from fictional works, rather than just making up random superstitions.

I can think of one right off the top of my head: In Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters trilogy, 13 is a magical defense against supernatural monsters that only appear for one hour each night exactly at midnight. There's more to it than that, but I don't really know how to explain it coherently, so I'll just link you to the GoodReads page for the first book.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a simple list of fictional superstitions I follow.

1. Keep salt on you 

2. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances trust someone ordinary (they're hiding something)

3. Always bring a banana to a party

4. If you walk into a room and forget why, put a tally mark on your arm

5. Don't go to the bathroom alone

6. If you see an angel statue, DON'T BLINK

7. Don't trust old ladies in pink cardigans

8. Don't trust anyone in general

9. If you eat with 13 people, don't be the first to stand.

10. If a random animal is following you, invite it over for a meal

In Skyrim there are 13 standing stones, corresponding (according to some random in-world book) to 13 star signs, that are arranged in the way that 3 of those (Mage, Warrior, Thief) "protect" 9 others against the 13-th (the Serpent).

In Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians Alcatraz receives his inheritance on his 13th birthday, which seems to be a tradition in the free kingdoms.