I'm going to submit an idea for a shard that has no basis in any previously stated theory (that I am aware of), that is not based on any patterns or rules I've noticed in the books, that really only comes from the idea that I think this shard would be awesome.

I think it would be awesome to see a hivemind shard. The shardholder can invest in a planet and create life, but all of that life would just be an extension of itself. It wouldn't have Harmony's issues with maintaining any kind of balance for free will, there is no free will, except the will of the shard. I don't know what it would be called, it wouldn't be like domination, it might be an "opposite" of autonomy. If this shard did exist, I imagine it possible that Dysian Aimians are a race created by it, in which case at least a part of the shard itself would be on Roshar. That last part falls apart a bit when you start thinking of Siah Aimians as well.

Thoughts? Anybody else have ideas for shards that would just be cool, without worrying too much about how it fits into any unifying theories of the cosmere?

There needs to be a Shard of Bacon, dedicated entirely to creating glorious Shardbacon and spreading the gospel of the holy ham. Adonalsium must have loved bacon, if he didn't then he's not fit to be called a God. :P

More seriously, I'm not sure a 'hive mind' Shard would fit if we think of them as being divine attributes that used to be part of a unified whole (which is more or less stated by the Second Letter) since Adonalsium wouldn't have anything to be in a hive mind with. There could be a Shard that has an Intent sort of along those lines (Unity, say) but I think that something like that wouldn't necessarily lead to a hive mind if it invested in a world, unless that's the specific way the Vessel decided to interpret the Intent. And they'd probably have to pull a Scadrial and build the world from the ground up to make that work on humans, I think.

For the Aimians, I suspect we can account for the Dysians as an outgrowth of the insectoid life already found on Roshar, whether Adonalsium had a hand in their creation pre-Shattering or if Honor/Cultivation did something afterwards.

I'm really hungry and now really want bacon. i think if there were a bacon shard i would need a plate of bacon next to me or I wouldn't be able to make it through any reading about it without getting distracted and hungry.

I think its totally reasonable that a shard can end up acting in ways that that intent never would as a part of the unified whole that is Adonalsium. Take Odium for example. I'm going to paraphrase because i don't feel like looking up the exact quote but he is 'full of hate but without the context that once gave it bounds'. ie, Adonalsium wouldn't necessarily go on a shard killing rampage, but Odium on its own will. So if there were a Unity shard, I think its totally reasonable that it would create a hivemind. I am thinking of it happening Scadrial style. It would create its own hivemind, not assimilate one.

I do agree with you on the Aimians, my idea was just a cool thought that isn't totally impossible. I like considering the edges of whats reasonable, because sometimes fun things happen there.

My little bro and i spoke about Autonomy being of the 3rd unknown race on Yolan. 

What if Autonomy is the same person or race as the insect man Awesome Girl met in Edgedancer? 

This would give her a natural ability to be more places at once. Like the other Cosmere worlds. 

Just as a what if. As i think Autonomy is a dragon like Odium. Mother and son relationships. 

On 3/13/2017 at 4:53 PM, Andy92 said:

The Bugger Shard? :D

Just finished a reread of Ender's Game and I'm in the middle of an Ender's Shadow reread now. I approve of this comment.

My little bro and i spoke about Autonomy being of the 3rd unknown race on Yolan. 

What if Autonomy is the same person or race as the insect man Awesome Girl met in Edgedancer? 

We don't know what race Autonomy is (got a RAFO at the Fort Collins AU signing), but the third race on Yolen is the Shodel. Arclo is a Dysian Aimian.

Edited by PallonianFire

4 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

We don't know what race Autonomy is (got a RAFO at the Fort Collins AU signing), but the third race on Yolen is the Shodel. Arclo is a Dysian Aimian.

I think he meant the Sleepless and the Shodel are the same race.

Something in the line of parallel Evolution/Creation or imporation.

Just Autonomy be a Sleepless doesn't change nothing about her ability to be in many places as a Shard.

I support the idea of a Unity/Amalgamation/Collaboration shard. There's a thread on figuring out the remaining Shards where this has been talked about. Brandon has said it's not as simple as Shards having paired opposites but I feel if Autonomy is one it's appropriate that the opposite, an intent around combining efforts to have a sum greater than the parts, fits well. 

I don't think it would be one that manifests in terms of an actual hive mind but we do know that intent confined the effects of investiture (Preservation can't really destroy, Endowment actually makes investiture stick in a way other shards don't). So i feel the investiture of such a shard may work in a way that to be used it must be by groups rather than an individual. I wouldn't rule out Dysian Aimians being refugees from a world invested by such a Shard but there's no evidence for it. Just my speculative musings :)

Edited by Extesian

• Chaos locked this topic