How religious is Demoux

Gizmosowner

I wondered this myself. He was pretty devout, and you have to think that becoming a worldhopper shifted his view of Kelsier.

But Kelsier DID do some incredible things AND hold a Shard for a time. He's a notable figure and his message is still in tact. That's probably enough for Demoux to run with.

Still, Kelsier is the founder of the church he is in. And Kelsier was god, if only for a time. Taking into account that people of Final Empire worshipped a perfectly physical man (although with godlike powers)... he may not be praying to him but certainly he would treat Kelsier like a prophet maybe?

I don't really think that anything in the Church of the Survivor was really about Kelsier as a god though (Survivorism I am not so sure). Kelsier wasn't their god so much as he was a leader and an inspiration. Maybe prophet is the right word like Oversleep says.

Also I think that if Demoux met Kelsier in the Cognitive Realm, he would hold even more in the tenet that Kelsier is always watching them and that he will return in their times of need.

I always thought, and this is just how i see it in my head, that once a person joins the 17th Shard, they kinda shed their beliefs of personal religion. Then they just commit themselves to whatever the main goal is for the shard, such as keeping the cosmere safe or gathering as much info they can. Because being in the Shard, I would assume they would gain the knowledge of the existence of the shards throughout the cosmere, thus confirming the existence of their personal "God".  

48 minutes ago, KereDerek said:

I always thought, and this is just how i see it in my head, that once a person joins the 17th Shard, they kinda shed their beliefs of personal religion. Then they just commit themselves to whatever the main goal is for the shard, such as keeping the cosmere safe or gathering as much info they can. Because being in the Shard, I would assume they would gain the knowledge of the existence of the shards throughout the cosmere, thus confirming the existence of their personal "God".  

15 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Why are you assuming a person personal beliefs are incompatible with realmatic understanding and knowledge of shards? Or are you saying the 17thShard forces you to abandon them?

The problem here is what exactly constitutes a god to a given person. For those who believed that a divine entity was watching over them, increased knowledge of Realmatics would confirm their personal faith (e.g. Wax meeting Harmony). However, that same knowledge might conflict with the beliefs of someone who believes in a single omnipotent being, as they see that their presumed-deity is not the only one, and that there are evil deities just as powerful. Those with the latter belief would either give up their belief (as KereDerek speculates), or retain their belief that there is an omnipotent being, but that it is Beyond and allows Odium, etc. free reign as part of its master plan.

Comments? Concerns?

• Chaos locked this topic