Kaladin Vs Szeth POV

ddleg

So we all know the Confrontation is coming.  Szeth will try to take out Dalinar and Kaladin will have to stop him.  I don't think Brandon would write the same chapter from multiple viewpoints as he is already doing it with the night of Gavalar's murder. Personally I would like to see this event from Szeth's POV. however the possible number of POV's to observe the event from is quite large "Dalinar, Adolin, Kaladin, Jasna, Shallan or Szeth."

Who's POV would you like to see this from ?

Honestly, a part of me would like to see it from Sadeas' pov if that confrontation is the first time Kaladin reveals his badassery to the lighteyes. Sadeas' frustration when he realizes he sold a potential knight radiant for a single blade Adolin has already replaced for his family will be priceless.

Edit: from an action standpoint, though, Kaladin or Szeth would be the best choices.

Edited by aWESomeness summoned

This is a good question as i would like to see the reaction to Kaladin's and Szeth's Surgebinding from multiple characters POV. Besides Kaladin's and Szeth's reaction, i would like to see Dalinar's reaction (if he didn't already know what Kaladin could do). And also Adolin's. Though i think that Brandon will likely do Kaladin's while the fight is happening, and if Szeth gets captured, which is what i think will happen, then he'll give us Szeth's reaction afterwards. He might also be the same with Dalinar and Adolin.

Honestly, a part of me would like to see it from Sadeas' pov if that confrontation is the first time Kaladin reveals his badassery to the lighteyes. Sadeas' frustration when he realizes he sold a potential knight radiant for a single blade Adolin has already replaced for his family will be priceless.

Sadea's reaction would be pretty cool as well.

I hadn't ever considered Sadeas' reaction. Wow, yeah...just deserts. 

So, list of people that will be most surprised by Kaladin's uberness.

1) Amaram - "W. T. F."

2) Sadeas - "DOH! How could I have been so stoooopid."

3) Dalinar - "Welcome, young man."

4) Adolin - "Game on."

5) Renarin - "Dude, 'sup?"

I love the idea of Sadeas' POV on the Kaladin reveal!

I think he would be even more delighted with his deal, since he probably would have had to free a Radiant slave for very little.  This way he got a Shardblade out of the deal.  It's not like Kaladin was ever going to feel loyal to Sadeas.

What is likely to have Sadeas gnashing his teeth is that he is now a "mere" Shardbearer when others are Surgebinders.  It would be even more galling to find out what it takes to become a Surgebinder and realize he has no chance.  It seems he was once loyal to Gavilar.  Is he beyond redemption at this point? 

I prefer Szeth's POV. He wouldn't be expecting anything like Kaladin! Reading what goes through his mind as he realizes he is not one of a kind (yeah, they are different, yet alike enough) would be awesome. Especially if Szeth is to be captured or abandon his Truthlessness.

I don't think we'll get multiple POVs because Brandon hasn't done this before and it would feel strange and out of place. Yes, certain scenes have been done in two POVs, but more than two isn't WoK style and I think it's safe to assume it won't be WoR style also.

I prefer Szeth's POV. He wouldn't be expecting anything like Kaladin! Reading what goes through his mind as he realizes he is not one of a kind (yeah, they are different, yet alike enough) would be awesome. Especially if Szeth is to be captured or abandon his Truthlessness.

I don't think we'll get multiple POVs because Brandon hasn't done this before and it would feel strange and out of place. Yes, certain scenes have been done in two POVs, but more than two isn't WoK style and I think it's safe to assume it won't be WoR style also.

We have PoVs from Sadeas, Dalinar, Adolin, Kaladin, and Teft from the battle at the tower. Granted that is an entire battle, but who is to say how the events of this hypothetical fight pan out.

Is it a madlib???

______ is used to destroying everyone who faces him, then suddenly he meets his match in _____

(celebrity)                                                                                                                                                      (noun)

Russell Peters is used to destroying everyone who faces him, then suddenly he meets his match in a cardboard box

We have PoVs from Sadeas, Dalinar, Adolin, Kaladin, and Teft from the battle at the tower. Granted that is an entire battle, but who is to say how the events of this hypothetical fight pan out.

These POVs didn't happen at once and we saw the whole battle through them, each one of the POVs showing a different moment of it, plus all these characters were involved in the battle and they were three of the sides in it - the traitor, the victims and the saviors. I doubt Kal vs Szeth fight will last a whole chapter, let alone more or involve anyone but them. Though you have a point.

I think that Kaladin's action sequences from the Tower chapters will be a good guide at guessing how this will play out.

The viewpoint of the combatants will dominate. Brandon tends to write this way, because showing the internal state and reactions of how the fight affects the characters is one of main advantages books have over movies. Kaladin's internal reactions to the conflict are some of the most interesting things going on in the scene, and books really excel at showing this.

However, when something happens that would look a lot cooler from a cinematic, external shot (Kaladin exploding with energy, for example) we cut away to a character (Teft) who has a good view of the special effects.

I think it will play out something like this:

Szeth Viewpoint: I hate myself and I'm so conflicted! Oh wells, I guess it's time to make another mess of bodies and get all emo about it. Poor little guards will never stand a ch...cha cha cha! That one's a surge binder!? Yay! Maybe he can finally end my sadness!

-break-

Kaladin Viewpoint: Oh snap! The Assassin in White is trying to kill me and my buddy Dalinar with his glowy awesomeness! It's a good thing I have glowy awesomeness of my own! Except, wait... this guy's good. Syl! I need another Ideal over here, please!

-break-

Dalinar's Viewpoint: Holy [expletive deleted]!  Watches while the special effects team goes nuts.

-break-

Cuts back to whichever fighter (Kaladin or Szeth) has the greater internal conflict/revelation. Fin.

I think that Kaladin's action sequences from the Tower chapters will be a good guide at guessing how this will play out.

The viewpoint of the combatants will dominate. Brandon tends to write this way, because showing the internal state and reactions of how the fight affects the characters is one of main advantages books have over movies. Kaladin's internal reactions to the conflict are some of the most interesting things going on in the scene, and books really excel at showing this.

However, when something happens that would look a lot cooler from a cinematic, external shot (Kaladin exploding with energy, for example) we cut away to a character (Teft) who has a good view of the special effects.

I think it will play out something like this:

Szeth Viewpoint: I hate myself and I'm so conflicted! Oh wells, I guess it's time to make another mess of bodies and get all emo about it. Poor little guards will never stand a ch...cha cha cha! That one's a surge binder!? Yay! Maybe he can finally end my sadness!

-break-

Kaladin Viewpoint: Oh snap! The Assassin in White is trying to kill me and my buddy Dalinar with his glowy awesomeness! It's a good thing I have glowy awesomeness of my own! Except, wait... this guy's good. Syl! I need another Ideal over here, please!

-break-

Dalinar's Viewpoint: Holy [expletive deleted]!  Watches while the special effects team goes nuts.

-break-

Cuts back to whichever fighter (Kaladin or Szeth) has the greater internal conflict/revelation. Fin.

I agree this is most likely. However, I wonder if we will get Szeth's POV at all? If he not a POV character for the rest of the book, having it suddenly show up would be disorienting. It could work, but I'm not sure we need it. We already know how this fight will affect Szeth from his POV in book 1. I think we will get a bit of Dalinar's POV and maybe another character, but the dominating POV will be Kaladin's.

Now if Szeth's POV shows up again at least once before the battle, then yes his POV will most likely be used in the confrontation. I still think Kaladin will dominate however, because he will learn the most from the encounter.

I think an interesting POV to see the confrontation from would be Jasnah's or Shallah's POV if they don't already know what Kaladin is. A scholarly POV of the battle could be quite informative. However, I think this is unlikely.

The characters who will be the most invested in this fight will be Kaladin and Dalinar so there POVs will be the most important. For Szeth this is just another job. He might be excited that he will finally have an opponent who could beat him, but this would not be a new to us. The reader could think of Szeth's POV from book one and fill in whatever is lost from his POV missing.

If choosing just between Kal and Szeth, I'll like to see it from Kal's POV. I also think this is more likely because the confrontation is more likely to happen in the main part of the book rather than the interludes, which is where I think we'll read Szeth's POV chapter(s)

So how I'd like it to go is Kal fights Szeth from his POV in the last chapter of one of the parts of the book. Then it goes the interludes where we see Szeth looking back on the confrontation from his POV.

I agree this is most likely. However, I wonder if we will get Szeth's POV at all? If he not a POV character for the rest of the book, having it suddenly show up would be disorienting. It could work, but I'm not sure we need it. We already know how this fight will affect Szeth from his POV in book 1. I think we will get a bit of Dalinar's POV and maybe another character, but the dominating POV will be Kaladin's.

Now if Szeth's POV shows up again at least once before the battle, then yes his POV will most likely be used in the confrontation. I still think Kaladin will dominate however, because he will learn the most from the encounter.

I think an interesting POV to see the confrontation from would be Jasnah's or Shallah's POV if they don't already know what Kaladin is. A scholarly POV of the battle could be quite informative. However, I think this is unlikely.

The characters who will be the most invested in this fight will be Kaladin and Dalinar so there POVs will be the most important. For Szeth this is just another job. He might be excited that he will finally have an opponent who could beat him, but this would not be a new to us. The reader could think of Szeth's POV from book one and fill in whatever is lost from his POV missing.

Thanks! I like your style. (This is the second post of yours that I've up-voted in the last couple of minutes.)

I agree that Szeth's viewpoint is ultimately unnecessary and would need to be precedented by another Szeth viewpoint, but I still think it would be interesting to see. The important thing is that we get Szeth's reaction to finding another surgebinder; he's never had to react to anything like it before. We can get that reaction from Kaladin's PoV, though, with a little dialogue and body language.

There are tons of viewpoints that Brandon could use to get the cinematic shots, and all of them would be interesting. Maybe we'll get several. I do expect at least one from Dalinar. He has too much invested in the outcome to be ignored. 

Edited by Stoneward

It seems like there will be (at least) two major battles in this book: Szeth and the Parshendi storminess.  I imagine Kaladin will have to reveal himself publicly in whichever one comes first.  The writing on the wall seems to suggest that Szeth will come first. 

I think it will take Adolin and Kaladin working together to deal w/Szeth.  I'd like to see that be where they start to bond and I would think we would get both POV, though maybe not concurrently. 

I hope this isn't when Kal says the next ideal, because it would be too predictable.

I can understand that but at the same time, I like the idea of Kal saying the words in a moment of heightened stress.  Fending off the Shardbearer in White and uttering another ideal seems pretty epic.  And then it would be cool to have it switch perspectives (as WoK did, switching to Teft) to Szeth and having him basically freak out.  As long as I've read Brandon, I don't think he does predictable all that often so we'll see.  But I'm an unabashed fanboy.

I hope this isn't when Kal says the next ideal, because it would be too predictable.

You're probably right. It would be too predictable if it happened just like the last one. I fully believe that Brandon could make it happen during the Szeth fight and find a way to make it unexpected, though.

But that's probably a topic for another thread. 

Edited by Stoneward

Edit: from an action standpoint, though, Kaladin or Szeth would be the best choices.

I have to admit, the Sadeas POV would be awesome just so I can read the shock.  Multiple POV for this one scene would be awesome though.