3rd Bondsmith

Kered

Question

i was just reading a Q&A and the question was "Does the Shard Ambition have anything to do with Bondsmith?" And Brandon's answer was "Ahh, I see what you're getting at, the 3rd Bondsmith. RAFO."

Could someone enlighten me on what the 3rd Bondsmith is? And what a Shard that isn't even on Roshar has to do with a KR order? I know Dalinar is a Bondsmith, but I'm not aware of a 2nd one, let alone a 3rd one. Thanks in advance. 

12 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Despite the fact that me reading the WoB likely won't help me get any ideas, I wan't to see this WoB. Happen to have the link handy?

Question

Does the Shard of Ambition have anything to do with the Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Shard of Ambition have anything to do with the Bondsmith, no, good question. I see what you guys are getting at, whos the third Bondsmith. So, uhh, this is a RAFO. I will eventually start talking about the third Bondsmith. Im gonna RAFO all questions about it for a while though.
http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1182#4

Also this one (looks cut off or mistranscribed):

Question

Is the third Bondsmith in any way related to the Sleepless?

Brandon Sanderson

I am RAFOing third Bondsmith. You will find out a lot more about these in coming books. That ones seeded for the story to answer...but its not next book, right? This is stuff for
http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1182#60

22 minutes ago, KereDerek said:

i was just reading a Q&A and the question was "Does the Shard Ambition have anything to do with Bondsmith?" And Brandon's answer was "Ahh, I see what you're getting at, the 3rd Bondsmith. RAFO."

Could someone enlighten me on what the 3rd Bondsmith is? And what a Shard that isn't even on Roshar has to do with a KR order? I know Dalinar is a Bondsmith, but I'm not aware of a 2nd one, let alone a 3rd one. Thanks in advance. 

There is a quote from Words of Radiance: " But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them" it goes on a bit, but the gist of it is that the Bondsmiths tend only to have 3 members.  I am not sure how Ambition is supposed to factor into this, especially given that he has been splintered, or at least killed, but presumably the logic is along these lines:

1. Dalinar is a Bondsmith, and he bonded the Stormfather, Honor's cognitive shadow.

so 2. it stands to reason that if Cultivation has a similar cognitive shadow, that it might be associated with the 2nd Bondsmith.

but that leaves 1 bondsmith remaining, and no probable shard for them to be associated with (there are 3 shards int he Roshar system, but Odium seems improbable, under the circumstances)

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

There is a quote from Words of Radiance: " But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them" it goes on a bit, but the gist of it is that the Bondsmiths tend only to have 3 members.  I am not sure how Ambition is supposed to factor into this, especially given that he has been splintered, or at least killed, but presumably the logic is along these lines:

1. Dalinar is a Bondsmith, and he bonded the Stormfather, Honor's cognitive shadow.

so 2. it stands to reason that if Cultivation has a similar cognitive shadow, that it might be associated with the 2nd Bondsmith.

but that leaves 1 bondsmith remaining, and no probable shard for them to be associated with (there are 3 shards int he Roshar system, but Odium seems improbable, under the circumstances)

Thanks for the insight, appreciate it!

9 hours ago, KereDerek said:

Thanks for the insight, appreciate it!

it has been heavily theorized that the nightwatcher is Cultivation's cognitive shadow meaning that the second bondsmith would be bonded to her

and waaaaaaait 

9 hours ago, Dunkum said:

we know that one of the unmade is a traitor to the rest (as well as odium ) and there is also the theory that he would be bonded to Rlain or Eshonai could be the third bondsmith
but that would require that it would bond to eshonai since she had tried to unite instead of divide (trying to put an end to the war )

.......rust and ruin after a little searcing i found this old  theory
damnation and i was realy excited for coming up with it

3 hours ago, Manukos said:

we know that one of the unmade is a traitor to the rest (as well as odium )

I would like to point out 2 things. 1) We definitively do not know that for certain, it has just been circumstantial speculation so far. 2) Popular opinion has shifted, and people are now assuming Mr T's "traitor" line refers to someone we learn more about in Edgedancer.

Edit: and then there's people like me, who don't like either of those options.

Edited by The One Who Connects

13 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I don't think it's improbable at all that Odium has a bondsmith - in fact, it seems likely to me that this is the case:

“You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules.  All of us are."

-The Way of Kings, Chapter 75

I think these rules involved all three Rosharian shards and their agreement that binds their actions.  Based on the quote below, I think this relates to the giving of bonds to living creatures on the planet.

Spoiler

"Ishar made the truth clear to me. If the bonds between men and spren are reignited, then men will naturally discover the greater power of the oaths. Without Honor to regulate this, there is a small chance that what comes next will allow the Voidbringers to again make the jump between worlds."

-Edgedancer, Chapter 9

My guess is that Honor regulated the bonds between men and his spren (i.e. Knights Radiant).

I also think that Cultivation regulates the bonds between other living creatures and her spren (i.e. Ryshadium, Greatshells, and for a time the Listeners).

(I think that these two shards have assumed the Investiture that remained of Adonalsium that originally inhabited Roshar.  To me, it seems unlikely that a third bondsmith would be related to a non-16 shard of Adonalsium.)

That would leave Odium to regulate the bonds between his voidspren and whatever things they can bond to (which seem to be Listeners/Parshendi and possibly greatshells among other things).

The bondsmiths seem to me to be the Physical Realm beings on Roshar that somehow oversee/manage this process for each shard.

Edited by VirtuousTraveller

38 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I would like to point out 2 things. 1) We definitively do not know that for certain, it has just been circumstantial speculation so far. 2) Popular opinion has shifted, and people are now assuming Mr T's "traitor" line refers to someone we learn more about in Edgedancer.

Edit: and then there's people like me, who don't like either of those options.

it is of cource only speculation , and ill get my AU in two or three days , so i do not know about that, but eshonai did act very bondsmithlike

6 hours ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

I don't think it's improbable at all that Odium has a bondsmith - in fact, it seems likely to me that this is the case:

to be clear, I was just trying to follow the logic that would suggest Ambition as being related.  for my own part, I think Odium makes the most sense as well, just from the perspective of simplicity.

You're all forgetting that there is a Voidbinding equivalent of Bondsmiths - Voidbringers with Surges of Adhesion and Tension. I suspect those are made by bonding an Unmade.

I think the third Bondsmith bonds a godspren of equally Honor and Cultivation.

Edited by Oversleep

Honor and Cultivation were lovers according to The Letter. Can shards have babies? Or Cognative Shadow Babies?

There also was magic before the arrival of the storm. It is possible that you can bond with the pre-shattering mega-spren. (like that  giant ocean one that comes every 24 Hours that Axis meets). 

Massive Greatshells might also be a good candidate for something heavily invested that would be bondable.