Was Ruin an Aimian

DarkJester

Ok. So in Secret history we see that preservation had the form of a human whenever he manifested himself to Kelsier. From that, I'd say he was obviously human before taking up the shard. We have Ruin on the other hand, that any time he manifests to Kelsier, has the look of spiders and such forming his face. He even has spider like legs shoot out of his body to impale him. So was Ruin an aimian before taking up the shard, or did the shard make him look like that, and that's why he wants to destroy everything...  Also. If he is an Aimian, does that imply that there were world hoppers before the shattering of Adonalsium?

Well in the Hero of Ages, both Leras and Ati's bodies were seen when they died and fell out of the mists. I think Ati was the ginger one, so all in all probably not Aimian. In terms of worldhopping- come to think of it, nobody knows is probably the best answer. I don't think we've seen much evidence for it though, so going by Occam's razor...

I believe we have a WOB that both Ati and Leras were Human. I'll see if i can find it.

The Coppermind article for Ati states "Ati is a human and the original Vessel of the Shard Ruin."

Edited by Tsidqiyah

• 1 month later...

Ati was basically a puppet for the investiture to act through. The person he had been was long gone. Kelsier saw him for what he was; a shell housing power. Since what was left did not see himself as 'Ati' he had trouble taking that form convincingly.

Or, at least, that was how I understood it.

2 hours ago, dgenio8 said:

But aimians could also be from Yolen. Do we know what where the sentience species in Yolen?

We have a WoB saying there were three sapient species on Yolen: humans, dragons, and Shodel. It's anyone's guess what that last one might be, since we have zero information and we probably won't have much until Dragonsteel, but they could conceivably be related to Aimians. The best source I can find on the name "Shodel" is this reddit comment, where someone asks for details about the Shodel but is of course RAFO'd.

2 hours ago, dgenio8 said:

But aimians could also be from Yolen. Do we know what where the sentience species in Yolen?

We know there were three sentient species. We know it's the origin of humans and we know that it had dragons. I don't believe we know what the third race is (of course I haven't read Dragonsteel though). So it theoretically could be Aimians. I've seen nothing to indicate it would be but I can't rule it out.

UTIKETAIEL

Were the original sixteen Shardholders after the shattering all human?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uh … RAFO. There are three races on Yolen. Three sentient races

Edit: gadzooks, ninja'd! Nice work on that reddit one @Cryokina, i hadn't seen that before. I mean it's pure RAFO but I still hadn't seen it. We see the Shodel in Liar of Partinel but they certainly did not seem like Aimian from the brief encounter we get. But yeah I haven't regarded the appearance in Liar as giving away too much because it isn't canon.

Edited by Extesian

• Chaos locked this topic