Ambition's Splinters [AU Spoilers]

SpeakoftheDeval

So Ambition was apparently one of the first Shards that Odium splintered. We know that Odium didn't pick up the Shard but it doesn't seem like there are many Splinters on Threnody. So where did they go?

Could Odium have used the splinters of Ambition to splinter Devotion and Dominion? Hrathen does say that ambition is rewarded by the derethi. Meanwhile, another thing seems odd about Odium. Despite the fact that we know he hates investing, he's apparently fueled an entire magic system on Roshar. Most people say that he just hijacked Honour and Cultivation's systems but even so maybe he used the splinters of Ambition to do that, thereby cutting his own losses further. Finally, could the unmade be splinters of Ambition corrupted by Odium? For example, the Thrill seems like a very logical thing to come from an Odium corrupted Ambition.

Thoughts?

I think that's an interesting theory; I think it makes sense that Odium would try something like that, and it does seem possible that he wouldn't just leave the power sitting around if he thought he could use it. Maybe Ambition is a close enough Intent to husband own that he was able to take parts of it temporarily without losing his "momentum."

Nazh says something about how the perpendicularities on Threnody are "rare" and "morbid" in nature, or something like that; I'm thinking there are some fragments of Ambition that are kinda floating around, occasionally interacting with the planet enough for people to transfer between Realms there. As for Splinters, maybe the Deep Old Ones that Silence mentions really briefly?

I've personally been thinking the Unmade are probably from Odium, and he was willing or forced to sacrifice bits of his power as part of a long-term plan to take out the other Shards on Roshar. However, I feel like there's tons of stuff going on in Roshar that we still have no chance of understanding fully, so it's totally possible that bits of Ambition are still involved. It would make sense that the Unmade are parts of other Shards that Odium's killed, maybe not only Ambition.

1 hour ago, MadhavDeval said:

So Ambition was apparently one of the first Shards that Odium splintered. We know that Odium didn't pick up the Shard but it doesn't seem like there are many Splinters on Threnody. So where did they go?

The essay says that Odium battled and mortally wounded Ambition on Therenody but the Shard is actually Splintered elsewhere...Therefore is normal that we don't see Ambition's Splinter on Therenody...We have to find the place where Ambition dies and his/her power was splintered

Hmm two things to consider.

We dont know if it was Odium who splintered Ambition, wording was I think specially unclear both in Therenody essay and in Roshar essay. There is possibility that Ambition was actually splintered by some other Shard who used fact that Odium wounded Ambition, or Ambition died and splintered from wounds (if thats possible, I think not, but we dont know how can you mortally wound Shard too)

Second, I think mechanic of Shard investing is that if Shard will be on planet long enough, he/she will automatically invest. My guess is that this what happened to Odium in Greater Roshar system - he was somehow made to stay by Honor and invested automatically, then needed splinters to battle on Roshar.

I always wondered how he managed to kill so many, each fight should make him a bit weaker from wounds etc, so even taking in account that other Shards were Invested there should be limit to how many Odium could except to kill. Theory about Odium using splinters of Shards he killed and splintered could explain how he managed to splinter so many Shards, when from Therenody's essay we have confirmation that fights with other Shards take toll on Odium too.

We don't know a ton about Odium's goals and methods yet, but we do know that he is specifically not picking up Shards after he kills their Vessels. He doesn't want other Intents interfering with his hatred. I'm not sure if he could use the Splinters that he creates when he attacks other Shards or not (I don't think there's enough information out there yet to really make an educated guess on how that would work), but I suppose that if it is possible, it may be that his encounter with Ambition is what made him determine that he would not touch the other Shards' power once he killed them because even using little bits of Ambition influenced him too much. I don't know if I believe that, though. I think his stance on remaining Odium alone is related to both Rayse's original personality and the Intent of his Shard. Even early on, I think he would have despised other Shards too much to directly make use of their power.

14 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

I think that it is plausible that Odium used Ambitions splinters on Roshar. We do have to consider that Stormlight wont be knee-deep into Cosmere stuff, so too many shards will probably not be involved.

17 hours ago, Nebelskind said:

I've personally been thinking the Unmade are probably from Odium, and he was willing or forced to sacrifice bits of his power as part of a long-term plan to take out the other Shards on Roshar. However, I feel like there's tons of stuff going on in Roshar that we still have no chance of understanding fully, so it's totally possible that bits of Ambition are still involved. It would make sense that the Unmade are parts of other Shards that Odium's killed, maybe not only Ambition.

There's a WoB that confirms that the Unmade are splinters of Odium.  My first thought was that the Unmade responsible for the thrill would have been related to Ambition, however the WoB eliminates that as a possibility.

1 hour ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

There's a WoB that confirms that the Unmade are splinters of Odium.  My first thought was that the Unmade responsible for the thrill would have been related to Ambition, however the WoB eliminates that as a possibility.

Thanks for the confirmation! It does make sense; I think one of the epigraphs from the Parshendi songs says something about it too, but I don't have it with me at the moment.

• Chaos locked this topic