The End of Amaram

Toaster Retribution

I hope he achieves his goals, realises that in doing so he has doomed the world. I then hope he ends up wishing he were dead for a decent amount of time before being granted that wish, only for it to turn out that the world can be saved despite (or perhaps even in part because of) his actions.

I think he's going to redeem himself, maybe through self sacrifice. He does have faith in Heralds, a corrupt faith, but faith nonetheless. I think this is going to lead him to playing a big part in the story to come, maybe a lacky to one of the Heralds. 

1 hour ago, Dun Sphere said:

Probably with Taravangian seeing how they both were in on trying to bring back voidbringers

I thought Taravangian was trying not to bring back the Voidbringers since doing so would destroy the world? Isn't that why he was trying to slow the aggression against the Parshendi and not push Kaladin to become a surgebinder since the Diagram indicated that that would push the Parshendi towards accepting a voidform.

6 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I thought Taravangian was trying not to bring back the Voidbringers since doing so would destroy the world? Isn't that why he was trying to slow the aggression against the Parshendi and not push Kaladin to become a surgebinder since the Diagram indicated that that would push the Parshendi towards accepting a voidform.

This what I remember as well. Terry does NOT want Voidbringers. That is why he is secretly murdering people in his basement.

He's going to have a fight with Kaladin (because why not), and Kal's going to absolutely annihilate him, and somehow unbond him from his shardblade.

Then, in a moment of desperation, Amaram is going to reach for the stick next to him to use as a weapon, only for the stick to wrap around his neck and strangle him to death.

In short, death by stick.

2 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

He's going to have a fight with Kaladin (because why not), and Kal's going to absolutely annihilate him, and somehow unbond him from his shardblade.

Then, in a moment of desperation, Amaram is going to reach for the stick next to him to use as a weapon, only for the stick to wrap around his neck and strangle him to death.

Brandon better have someone die to stick at some point in Cosmere.

16 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

"You want to be a tool of justice! You want to be an instrument of death! You want to reach out and strangle him!"

"... I am a stick."

Edited by DarkJester

Personally, I think we will see him committing greater and greater atrocities, all in the name of good. I'm sure he will have a run in with Kalodin, but as far as Kalodin beating him down like he/we want, he's going to have to confront him with the wrong he's doing. He may even be forced by Sil to protect him, from Szeth there to Judge his actions, or perhaps he may have to protect him from his own choices. Ultimately, I believe Amaram will become a catalyst for Kal to reach a new level. If I'm not mistaken, he still has more words to speak...

The thing is, it seems like meeting the Heralds can not help strengthen their beliefs. They all seem broken and crazy. The Sons of Honor can only delude themselves for so long until they realize the have not ushered in a "new era of Vorin dominance" but instead probably destroyed Vorinism in its current form (although they seemingly actually had little actual part in returning the Voidbringers).

• 1 month later...

I feel like that is not necessarily the case. Obviously there are no children to inherit but we don't really know the order of succession there. It may be him automatically as you say or it may be up someone to pick (Ialai or much more likely Elhokar). I am also not entirely sure about the position of high marshal. I really thought Amaram seemed more powerful than he really should have been due to high birth, important friendships, and celebrity. I may be wrong.

Another thought is that Amaram may not want to be in such a high position yet.

3 hours ago, nervousnerd said:

Another thought is that Amaram may not want to be in such a high position yet.

If it saves him from prison, maybe. 

Also, do we know that Sadeas never fathered a child? I suppose that he has been married to Ialai for a while. Maybe he has a young son back in Alethkar, who can inherit.

7 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Also, do we know that Sadeas never fathered a child? I suppose that he has been married to Ialai for a while. Maybe he has a young son back in Alethkar, who can inherit.

It seemed to be implied that they married young and have remained devoted to each other, and don't seem to have a child.  I don't know that it's ever expressly stated, though.

I think I've said it in other threads, but I would be very surprised if Ialai is allowed to take up the position in his place.  A widow of someone important is basically just someone to be pitied, as we see with Navani, not someone who would take the place of their husband.  We don't see a single woman in a position of importance (not an official one, that is) anywhere in Alethkar.  Elhokar's wife (the queen, I forget her name right now) is the closest, and even then she's obviously just a regent, but one without any real oversight since Elhokar isn't a very good king.  If Sadeas has any cousins, nephews, etc, those would probably be in line for the position, but if not, it could easily go to someone like Amaram.

Edited by Jondesu

11 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

28 years ago, Sadeas was in his twenties and he was married to Ialai. They have thus been married for at least 28 years: if child there were, then he/she would be a grown adult by now, not an infant or a child. I have read theories wanting Ialai to be pregnant, but I seriously dispute it. 28 years ago, Ialai was at least 16 years old which means she now, at the very least, 44 years old. She is thus too old to be pregnant not to mention I personally do not buy the idea she would have remained childless during her best child bearing years only to magically come with child at an age when it is virtually impossible.

I would also state Dalinar's children are young for his age. In The Thrill, we see the other "Highprinces" and older people around Dalinar's age and their children are already born. I thus doubt Sadeas has a son hidden somewhere. My thoughts are he and Ialai merely are infertile, it happens.

3 hours ago, Jondesu said:

If Sadeas has any cousins, nephews, etc, those would probably be in line for the position, but if not, it could easily go to someone like Amaram.

I agree. It has been one of my theories.

Edit: I was distracted when I wrote the post and I put in the wrong numbers. What I meant to say what we do know Ialai was married to Sadeas, 28 years ago which means she can't be any younger than 44 years old, providing she had just celebrated her marriage and she was 16 sharp which seems unlikely. At the very youngest, Ialai is thus in her mid-forties, being quite possibly in her fifties: well pass child bearing years.

Edited by maxal

• Chaos locked this topic