[Edgedancer Spoilers] The Order of Edgedancers' Resonance

WeiryWriter

10 hours ago, Argent said:

The reason I use Jasnah and geolocation as an example is because it was a popular theory at the time.

At the end of WoR she emerges and orients herself  with ease, so we do know that she has a good geolocation ability. However, this may not necessarily be a perk/Resonance, but rather simply a prime benefit of being an Elsecaller - they are travellers, after all... Looking from this perspective though, an Elsecaller primarily is known for boldly going where no one has gone before, transporting people, etc... so and internal GPS complete with the Cosmere equivalent of Google Maps (Silverlight University Maps?) actually sounds like a useful thing, just as memory is extremely useful for lightweaving. 

12 hours ago, Argent said:

I think it is unwise to try to deduce an Order's Resonance(s) by trying to mechanically combine the Surges available to them. You need to do a lot of mental gymnastics to arrive at the Windrunners' "strength of squires" by starting with "Adhesion" and "Gravitation." I believe there has to be some connection between the Surges and the Resonance(s), but I doubt it's an obvious or even a direct one. 

Of course, my attempts to stomp out crackpot theorycrafting hasn't had any actual effect in the past, so who am I to speak... :)

Maybe the Resonances are due to the nature of the spren being bonded rather than the Surges.

Pattern can recall things perfectly, for example. Honorspren could be considered the "spren of bonds" (more bonds, stronger bonds).

Maybe.

7 hours ago, djammmer said:

That Shallan quote is amazing!   I love that I can read Sanderson, and then come here and get something like this pointed out; that completely changes my paradigm - and makes me want to read the whole thing again.

And the fact that Pattern (who is quite excelled at recognizing patterns) sees a pattern between what Shallan can do explicitly with her powers... and what she does implicitly with people (w/o her powers)... (lies & transformation)... And pattern sees that as the "same pattern".   She "soulcast people".    Count me as an initiate of this theory.  I love it!

Pattern doesn't say she Soulcast people. He says she Transformed them. It's quite possible that Soulcasting is a subset of the Transformation Surge rather than being one and the same. In the same way that Lightweaving is not the be all and end all of the Illumination Surge - controlling sound is also possible and maybe more.

13 hours ago, Argent said:

I think it is unwise to try to deduce an Order's Resonance(s) by trying to mechanically combine the Surges available to them. You need to do a lot of mental gymnastics to arrive at the Windrunners' "strength of squires" by starting with "Adhesion" and "Gravitation." I believe there has to be some connection between the Surges and the Resonance(s), but I doubt it's an obvious or even a direct one. 

Of course, my attempts to stomp out crackpot theorycrafting hasn't had any actual effect in the past, so who am I to speak... :)

Well, the Wind Runners is easy to do in hindsight at least: Adherents Gravitate to them.

Perhaps we should focus on terrible wordplay.

8 hours ago, emailanimal said:

At the end of WoR she emerges and orients herself  with ease, so we do know that she has a good geolocation ability. However, this may not necessarily be a perk/Resonance, but rather simply a prime benefit of being an Elsecaller - they are travellers, after all... Looking from this perspective though, an Elsecaller primarily is known for boldly going where no one has gone before, transporting people, etc... so and internal GPS complete with the Cosmere equivalent of Google Maps (Silverlight University Maps?) actually sounds like a useful thing, just as memory is extremely useful for lightweaving. 

That was essentially the primary argument of the theory. 

5 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Maybe the Resonances are due to the nature of the spren being bonded rather than the Surges.

The Shadows of Self (and The Bands of Mourning?) Ars Arcanum touches a little bit on the nature of the Resonances. Recall what Khriss says there - that mixing powers, mixing investitures, often (always?) results in additional effects unaccounted for by either power. So with this in mind, I think the argument that the Radiants' Resonances come from the interaction of their Surges (i.e. two powers) is a little better supported than the one that claims they come from spren (at least some of which we strongly suspect contain only one type of investiture - e.g. honorspren and cultivationspren).

8 hours ago, emailanimal said:

Looking from this perspective though, an Elsecaller primarily is known for boldly going where no one has gone before, transporting people, etc... 

You now have me hoping that she'll find a grumpy surgeon to be one of her close friends in her adventures, who will constantly complain about the unnatural way her means of transportation breaks them down and re-assembles them.  "Can't we just use a carriage?  They're safe, and reliable?  No need to break down and re-assemble the occupants.  damnation it Jasnah, I'm a Doctor, not a stick!"

And of course, her team will be rounded out by a Parshendi in Logic-form.

6 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

Jasnah is more of a Scotty in this analogy...

True.  Adolin and Kaladin make a better Kirk/Bones duo.  I tried to keep Jasnah as Kirk though as she is leading the charge in active research into Radiants.  

5 hours ago, Argent said:

The Shadows of Self (and The Bands of Mourning?) Ars Arcanum touches a little bit on the nature of the Resonances. Recall what Khriss says there - that mixing powers, mixing investitures, often (always?) results in additional effects unaccounted for by either power. So with this in mind, I think the argument that the Radiants' Resonances come from the interaction of their Surges (i.e. two powers) is a little better supported than the one that claims they come from spren (at least some of which we strongly suspect contain only one type of investiture - e.g. honorspren and cultivationspren).

Hmm. Thanks. I must have missed that - don't remember reading it before (and I've not been on the forums much lately).

That does sound like it's the same thing from how Brandon's talked about it. But since Khriss doesn't give any specific examples in the AA it's hard to be sure.

Makes me wonder if the Heralds get the same thing or not. Was it ever mentioned that they have squires? Ponder. Naturally, the way they get access to the Surges is different to Radiants - does that make a difference?

Still, it does seem logical to me that the individual spren would have some affect. The spren get sentience after all... so surely there's some effect on the Radiants? It may be that there's multiple things going on. For example, even when Pattern was pretty much dead Shallan still had her special memory abilities. Does that mean once you've bonded a spren that has a permanent effect (based on the Resonances between Surges) on you even if you can't access the Surges currently? How come Shallan seems to have some kind of clairvoyance as well? Is that purely related to one of the Surges? But it seems rather different to all other known usages of the Transformation and Illumination Surges.

• Chaos locked this topic