[AU Spoilers] Use of Hemalurgy

DeTess

The small theory and question to follow is based on the Scadrian system essay, which is included in this excerpt. Spoilers for this essay, Mistborn and Warbreaker are to follow.

In the essay, Khriss writes the following on Hemalurgy: "Usable by anyone with the right knowledge, this dangerous creation has proven able to warp souls regardless of planet or Investiture, creating false Connections that no Shard designed or intended."

Notice that she is no speaking in hypotheticals here, but is instead stating that Hemalurgy has been used on other planets to steal attributes from other systems. So my question to you guys is this: has there ever been any sign or trace of Hemalurgy at work on other planets?

9 hours ago, randuir said:

creating false Connections that no Shard designed or intended.

This interests me, as it's been previously stated that certain magics require connection to a certain place to work (Only Arelons can be taken by the Sheod). This basically outright states that Elantrians powers (Plus all the other location based magics on Sel) can be stolen using Hemalurgy.

Yes, it's a good confirmation that people are aware that hemalurgy exists and can be used outside of Scadrial, which is fairly important and potentially devastating. I can't wait to see where some stories take it.

As an aside, is this the first time it's confirmed that Khriss is writing the Ars Arcanum? Before, wasn't it just extremely strongly suspected?

It's been speculated that Denth's extreme speed and Tonk Fah's suddenly bulging muscled are the results of feruchemical steel and pewter. But those things could also be because of some shenanigans with breath/godbreath that we don't understand yet. I think it's been confirmed that the five scholars based their idea for Nightblood on Shardblades so it is entirely possible that they visited Scadrial at some point as well.

Adding Elantris and SH spoilers: 

I have always suspected that the Ire were dabbling in Hemalurgy prior or even after the event of SH. it is possible that there some Elantians among them that want to keep their powers even great distances away from Elantris, and that the wohle reason they wanted Preservation's was to restore order to Sels' Cognitive realm. so when Sazed takes both shards they needed a new way hence Hemalurgy.

9 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

As an aside, is this the first time it's confirmed that Khriss is writing the Ars Arcanum? Before, wasn't it just extremely strongly suspected?

No, we got confirmation of this a while back. I want to say Peter answered it in a reddit or Facebook thread. i'm also pretty sure the synopsis of AU that popped up on Tor dot com months back straight up said that each system would get an essay from the writer of the Ars Arcana.

I don't have the Peter source handy, but I know for sure that we had confirmation for a while before this teaser.

• Chaos locked this topic