Jobs of the 10 HighPrinces

A Joe in the Bush

I am not sure there would be one for Diplomacy, though, as that should fall in under the direct responsibility if the King. There could be one for scholarship, though, or at least some variant of training and schooling erudites.

The highprinces provide levies and serve as commanders in the war. Other than that, I don't think they serve any other role until Sadeas' power play.  

Not to knock the Alehti, but their men tends to be very single-minded. They leave all the smarts to their women while they go die in a war. It's wiser to entrust all the logistic and such to more talented individuals, like his councilors or what not. Not to mention that if the highprince are put in charge of, say justice and trials, he will certainly abuse his power. It's also way too risky to trust the highprince with more power than they have already.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Kholin House lasted as long as it did when all of the realm's powers are so divided. If Gavilar had died in any way, that cloak and dagger mindset that dominated Alethi politics would have seen Elhokar and the entire royal bloodline dead within the week.

I know that Sadeas is Highprince of Information, and Dalinar is Highprince of War (Or will be), But what are the other 8 Titles? Its been bugging me for a while, and i can't find any evidence in the book to give me answers.

It should be noted that the title system was defunct, so the others are not in use. We know that historically, one of them had responsibility for roads and trade and another for judges and magistrates. That leaves six; diplomacy and agriculture both seem likely candidates. Tax collection is also possible, although it'd probably be best to combine that with trade to avoid duplication of effort or endless turf squabbles over tarrifs and such. Another likely had authority over large-scale construction. It's possible another had authority over the Ardentia. Lastly, one of them could potentially have authority over currency; while that kind of overlaps with trade and/or taxation, if you include the gem mines it's a reasonably large area of responsibility and probably powerful enough to be trouble if combined with another position.

Not to knock the Alehti, but their men tends to be very single-minded. They leave all the smarts to their women while they go die in a war. It's wiser to entrust all the logistic and such to more talented individuals, like his councilors or what not.

Well, the Highprinces would presumably delegate the management and accounting the same way they already delegate logistics, and it would be useful to parcel out the authority to make important decisions.

Not to mention that if the highprince are put in charge of, say justice and trials, he will certainly abuse his power. It's also way too risky to trust the highprince with more power than they have already.

Actually, apparently the old system meant the Highprinces effectively had less power, because they possessed clearly defined areas of responsibility on a national level instead of essentially ruling independent nations.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Kholin House lasted as long as it did when all of the realm's powers are so divided. If Gavilar had died in any way, that cloak and dagger mindset that dominated Alethi politics would have seen Elhokar and the entire royal bloodline dead within the week.

They survived so long precisely because the realm's powers are so divided. No one except Dalinar could plausibly have overthrown and replaced Elhokar without touching off a civil war, and none of the Highprinces can defeat the combined forces of the others. Also, House Kholin was, until the disaster at the Tower, the most powerful in raw military strength, well-equipped with Shards, and lead by the general who reunified Alethkar in the first place. Plus, wiping out the royal bloodline would require killing Dalinar, and, well, good luck with that.

You are all forgetting the glamorous Highprince of Fashion!

I bet you'd find one for entertainment too. Someone to host/arrange the dueling and events and that sort of thing. Right now it is done by various Highprinces, but I bet in a untied Alethkar, it is more organized.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

Highprince of Education really f doesn't make sense, considering the Alethi gender roles. I mean you're going to place an illiterate male in charge charge of the education of literate females? <_<

Another possibility might be Highprince of Storms like the Storm Wardens.

You all forgot the High Prince of Janitorial Services. I formally nominate Sadeas for the role...

Snap! I was thinking Assassination and Sanitation. (Originally just Sanitation, but the alliterationwas too good to pass up )

Edited by el_warko

• 3 months later...

Yes, this is Thread Necroing, But I started this Thread, And by Golly, I'm gonna post in here everytime I find Evidence.

There were 10 Silver kingdoms, each Had a Specialty, Alethela was War, so that the Others didn't have to. There is a Herald of War, Talenelel. Is it possible that Each of the Highprinces is a Representitiveof the Heralds? This means that there isa Herald, (And Kingdom) of Intelligence. The known Roles of the Heralds are; Jezrien, Herald of Kings (Doubtful. Kingdom of Kings?), Nale, Herald of Justice (Likely), Shalash, Herald of Beauty (Bloodfalcon was Right?!?!), and Ishar, Herald of Luck (Eh, maybe). So now we have a More Realistic List

1. War
  2. Information
  3. Justice
  4. Fabulousness
  5. Kings? Nobility maybe?
  6. Luck?
  7. ???
  8. ???
  9. ???
  10. ???

1. War
  2. Information
  3. Justice
  4. Fabulousness
  5. Kings? Nobility maybe?
  6. Luck?
  7. ???
  8. ???
  9. ???

It seems likely that the things associated with each Herald could have become a bit twisted over the millennia. Luck could have something to do with money or commerce. Isn't Ishar supposed to be the Herald of Surgeons also? Maybe there was a Silver Nation of Health Care? Beauty could be linked with creativity and artistry - culture in general. "Kings" - especially put into context with "leading / protecting" - could be interpreted as the guiding nation, possibly the one were executive and legislative decisions were made.

Other than that, there should be one for agriculture as well.

Edited by Aether

WoR spoilers may be found within!

I don't have the book in front of me now, but during the Lift Interlude chapter, at the very end, Darkness references the Wisdom of one of the Heralds--I think it was an alternative name for Jezrien.  Wisdom, in this case, seems as if it is distinct from, if related to, Information and Justice.  Really, Information seems to be spies, Justice the police, and I would say Wisdom would be the courts/magistrates.

I would say that a highprince of health (wellness? aid?) makes a lot of sense.  Alethi culture, and Roshar in general, seems to be quite advanced in terms of medical care with their surgeons.  Lirin knew to always wash his hands before surgery, something that wasn't generally known here on Earth until the mid 1800s.  A highprince overseeing and pouring resources into medical care would help advance care to the point we see.

They survived so long precisely because the realm's powers are so divided. No one except Dalinar could plausibly have overthron and replaced Elhokar without touching off a civil war, and none of the Highprinces can defeat the combined forces of the others. Also, House Kholin was, until the disaster at the Tower, the most powerful in raw military strength, well-equipped with Shards, and lead by the general who reunified Alethkar in the first place. Plus, wiping out the royal bloodline would require killing Dalinar, and, well, good luck with that.

Don't forget that in the beginning Sades and Dalinar actually teamed up to help keep the kingdom together. Between the two of them manipulating people the other highprinces couldn't gain enough support to break away or try to overthrow. 

Having spren that are attracted to bacteria probably helps a lot with the medicine department.

Well, they aren't technically attracted to the bacteria themselves, but to the effects infection, rot and sickness produce. Rosharans know nothing of bacteria, but they know about the effects they produce, and they have formed cognitive ideas about different kinds of sickness. Thus Spren are produced, which in term gives the Rosharans a greater causal understanding of health and sickness then our forefathers were able to get.

Pardon me for being "that guy", but I am nothing if not meticulous!

• Chaos locked this topic