Cosmere Planets

bdoble97

Question

9 answers to this question

How many planets? There are probably lots, but there are ten "major shardworlds", ie ten planets with shards currently residing on them (splintered or whole). See more here: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere#Planets

There are probably thousands and thousands of planets with no life, and no conditions that allow for life.

The planets all have different properties, but most of them are pretty Earth-sized. Roshar is smaller (or at least has lower gravity). Not sure about some of the others.

There will be star charts in Arcanum Unbounded, but I don't know if they will show how different planets are aligned with each other.

The stars seem to be pretty similar to our sun, so probably no red dwarves or blue giants.

They also have different numbers of moons. Scadrial has none, Roshar has three, etc. That sort of information tends to be on the coppermind pages of the individual planets.

Edited by Eki

27 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

How planets are there in the Cosmere Galaxy. Do we know how large they are, how close they are to each other if there is only one Sun can the sun be a red dwarf or a blue Giant do the planets planets have one moon or multiple Moon's. 

All of this (or at least most of this) will be answered on Nov. 22 with the publication of Arcanum Unbounded. 

Edited by Ammanas

We aren't sure about the locations of the planets in relation to each other, but I can answer some of the other questions (not much). Roshar is IIRC smaller then earth, and has a lower gravity. It also has three moons, and it's orbit around the sun takes around 1.1 earth years. Scandrial, Nalthis and Sel should be around the same size as earth, and their orbital periods should be roughly the same as earth's, I don't know about moons.

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

We aren't sure about the locations of the planets in relation to each other, but I can answer some of the other questions (not much). Roshar is IIRC smaller then earth, and has a lower gravity. It also has three moons, and it's orbit around the sun takes around 1.1 earth years. Scandrial, Nalthis and Sel should be around the same size as earth, and their orbital periods should be roughly the same as earth's, I don't know about moons.

Is all of this WoB? I didn't know this much information was out there.

1 minute ago, Ammanas said:

Is all of this WoB? I didn't know this much information was out there.

The Roshar stuff is fairly common knowledge (the moons are the three sisters), The year and gravity stuff comes from a WoB, maybe someone else can find them, I'm rubbish at that. The information for the other planets comes from the statement from Brandon Sanderson that they were designed as earth-like planets, which means that the gravity and orbital period should roughly be the same and this means that unless the composition of the planet is different the size should also be roughly the same (Scandrial could be smaller than earth, because of the high amount of metal in the planet.

6 hours ago, kenod said:

(Scandrial could be smaller than earth, because of the high amount of metal in the planet.

Brandon calls Scadrial an Earth analogue, so I'd imagine it's pretty much identical on a macro scale. (Obviously the distribution of continents/oceans is different.)

Do we even know if Scadrial in general is metal-rich? We know the area around Luthadel is/was, but that's one tiny spot, and might even be an artificial effect of TLR reshaping the world (Kelsier thinks TLR put his capital city there because it was metal rich, but we know that's wrong).

Arcanum Unbounded spoilers:

Spoiler

We just learned today in a preview that the Drominad system, which includes First of the Sun, has three planets with fully developed human civilizations. It is referred to as "unique in the cosmere."

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

Arcanum Unbounded spoilers:

Hide contents

We just learned today in a preview that the Drominad system, which includes First of the Sun, has three planets with fully developed human civilizations. It is referred to as "unique in the cosmere."

Woah. Spoilers for the same:

Spoiler

That changes my perspective on the Ones Above completely. They don't need FTL or to be able to travel to another star system, only space flight itself. Means they're not Scadrians or any other people we've seen before, too, most likely.

6 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Woah. Spoilers for the same:

Hide contents

That changes my perspective on the Ones Above completely. They don't need FTL or to be able to travel to another star system, only space flight itself. Means they're not Scadrians or any other people we've seen before, too, most likely.

Spoiler

Don't walk it back yet - remember, we received official confirmation that we've seen the world the Ones Above come from. So, it can't be either of the other two worlds in the Drominad system, since we haven't seen them before. And, since they don't have Shardpools, there's no way for offworlders to set up a base without using FTL to get there in the first place.