I doubt Liss is Chana. She feels to... real to be a mad Herald. She lacks the feel I get from the other Heralds. That said, she is one of the best candidates we have, but I doubt she is the one.

Just to throw other names out there, anyone who thinks that Danlan or Jenet could be Chana (or Vedel, for that matter)? They are both minor characters who feels somewhat important.

Otherwise, my tip for finding suspects would be scouring the Interludes.

EDIT: Yay, 1,000 posts! I'll celebrate by eating some bread.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

6 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I doubt Liss is Chana. She feels to... real to be a mad Herald. She lacks the feel I get from the other Heralds. That said, she is one of the best candidates we have, but I doubt she is the one.

Just to throw other names out there, anyone who thinks that Danlan or Jenet could be Chana (or Vedel, for that matter)? They are both minor characters who feels somewhat important.

Otherwise, my tip for finding suspects would be scouring the Interludes.

EDIT: Yay, 1,000 posts! I'll celebrate by eating some bread.

Have an upvote for your 1000th post. And to truly celebrate you should have some strawberry jam with the bread :D.

I agree about Liss/Chana, but at the same time we have interacted so very little with the Heralds, I'm not sure if we can confidently say we know how their madness would manifest for all of them.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

33 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Danlan is a member of Graves Diagram cell, which while I guess doesn't rule her out, I find hard to reconcile, and more importantly she's "Brightwood Marakotha's" daughter. Unless the relationship is false and he's in on her being a Herald, or similarly deceived himself, she's out. 

I see a similar issue with Jenet, although less directly. Her animosity towards Adolin was due to some interpersonal strife between herself, him, and her sister. For either of the two women to be of a status high enough to court Adolin, their family would have to be a known entity. 

I also wasn't a fan of the Liss/Chana idea. I seriously don't see a better option, and I like the way her profession works as a twist on Chana's attributes. 

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I see a similar issue with Jenet, although less directly. Her animosity towards Adolin was due to some interpersonal strife between herself, him, and her sister. For either of the two women to be of a status high enough to court Adolin, their family would have to be a known entity. 

From where do we know about Jenets sister? I don't think it is mentioned in the book.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

From where do we know about Jenets sister? I don't think it is mentioned in the book.

Jenet is the female groom right? There's a line or two between her and Adolin where he's trying to remember why she's so mad at him and she says something along the lines of "my sister is off limits" and his response is "oh... Right." 

So something definitely happened there before the books. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Jenet is the female groom right? There's a line or two between her and Adolin where he's trying to remember why she's so mad at him and she says something along the lines of "my sister is off limits" and his response is "oh... Right." 

So something definitely happened there before the books. 

I had the chapter up because I wanted to check the Heralds at the heading in order to find weak support for my weak Jenet=Chana theory (funnily enough, Chana is at the chapter heading along with Jezrien, so I found my weak evidence). I skimmed through it and failed to find Jenet talking of her sister. She doesn't even talk to Adolin, and only throws rocks at him, as far as I saw. You might have her mixed up with another woman who is mad at Adolin (there are a lot of them). 

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I had the chapter up because I wanted to check the Heralds at the heading in order to find weak support for my weak Jenet=Chana theory (funnily enough, Chana is at the chapter heading along with Jezrien, so I found my weak evidence). I skimmed through it and failed to find Jenet talking of her sister. She doesn't even talk to Adolin, and only throws rocks at him, as far as I saw. You might have her mixed up with another woman who is mad at Adolin (there are a lot of them). 

I just read that chapter on my reread last night. I thought she there was a second interaction with her later. If there's not, then yes, I am mixing her up with someone else. 

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

To change subject somewhat, can we limit our search by skin color? Ash, Taln, Jezrien and Nale are all described as having dark skin.

I don't think that's going to be very helpful unfortunately. If those four are the only dark skinned ones, that means it may help us find Jezrien, but the other three are accounted for (and yes I know I'm disregarding the "man-who-calls-himself-Taln" stuff and I don't care. Unless we've been totally misled, he came back with a storming Honorblade. The body at least is Taln, even if the mind isn't.) 

Minor edgedancer spoilers:

Spoiler

Darkness is confirmed to be Nale.

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

I don't think that's going to be very helpful unfortunately. If those four are the only dark skinned ones, that means it may help us find Jezrien, but the other three are accounted for (and yes I know I'm disregarding the "man-who-calls-himself-Taln" stuff and I don't care. Unless we've been totally misled, he came back with a storming Honorblade. The body at least is Taln, even if the mind isn't.)

Um.... Let's keep in mind that Taln is the Herald who was left behind. It would make sense for him to only show up when the desolation starts, and for him to announce himself as the Herald of War. That's his job. To be a Herald. I think we are just seeing Taln keep doing his job, seeing as he isn't one of the Heralds who walked away.

Edited by Lord Maelstrom

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, Flash said:

I looked at this thread and thought "Fantastic Heralds and Where to Find Them"

Funny. I keep reading people questioning if Taln is really Taln (a doubt actually raised by Sanderson himself!), and having flashbacks to years spent in Wheel of Time fandom on similar topics. 

Hey, that's it! TALN IS DEMANDRED!

• Chaos locked this topic