Confusion over Ideals

Capt. Goradel

22 minutes ago, maxal said:

She says her "first truth" in WoK when she admits being afraid right before soulcasting the blood.

She regressed after she killed her mother. She blocked the memory and refused to acknowledge her part into her death. She denied Pattern's very existence. The only reason he didn't completely die was because she retained the glimmer of conscience over the fact she "owned" a Shardblade. Thus, her bond wasn't completely shattered, but to restart it, she had to stop lying to herself about who she is and what she has done. 

I don't think she *regressed* in the sense that she went level down, I don't think it works like that. We see Kaladin "regressing" in a way, but without a level down. You can say he broke his oath, but next time he didn't have to re-swear that oath (like I broke it, now i need to swear a new one and not break this one, to get to the same level). 

Similarly, I don't think Shallan leveled-down, she could use her powers just like she could when she was small - but she *denied herself* those powers, because they would bring back the memories. She knew she had a shardblade, and she thought it appears with 10 seconds delay - so it's a matter of *perception* - her *perception* was that she had no powers, so she had no powers.

Most probably, as a child, she never soulcasted. She could do illusions, as Pattern said, but I think the first time she soulcasted was after meeting Jasnah. So probably lighweavers need to be level 3 to soulcast, she was probably level 2 as a child, and became level 3 when soulcasting after saying the "I am terrified" truth.

Edited by marianmi

5 minutes ago, marianmi said:

Similarly, I don't think Shallan leveled-down, she could use her powers just like she could when she was small - but she *denied herself* those powers, because they would bring back the memories. She knew she had a shardblade, and she thought it appears with 10 seconds delay - so it's a matter of *perception* - her *perception* was that she had no powers, so she had no powers.

Not quite true - she really couldn't use her powers. She had to call Pattern back to her, to restrengthen the bond:

Interview: Oct 17th, 2015

Havoc

In WoK, Shallan is being chased by Cryptics. She begins to summon her Shardblade, stops and then Soulcasts for the first time. We know from WoR that it's her bond to Pattern, her Shardblade that allows her to Soulcast. So my question is, if Shallan had not begun to summon her Blade, would she have been able to Soulcast?

Brandon Sanderson

She would not have been able to. No one has ever asked me that before.

7 minutes ago, marianmi said:

Most probably, as a child, she never soulcasted. She could do illusions, as Pattern said, but I think the first time she soulcasted was after meeting Jasnah. So probably lighweavers need to be level 3 to soulcast, she was probably level 2 as a child, and became level 3 when soulcasting after saying the "I am terrified" truth.

That would make her level 5, which I find very unlikely to have already happened. I don't remember if we have a confirmation on her being level 4 though...

8 minutes ago, Eki said:

Interview: Oct 17th, 2015

Havoc

In WoK, Shallan is being chased by Cryptics. She begins to summon her Shardblade, stops and then Soulcasts for the first time. We know from WoR that it's her bond to Pattern, her Shardblade that allows her to Soulcast. So my question is, if Shallan had not begun to summon her Blade, would she have been able to Soulcast?

Brandon Sanderson

She would not have been able to. No one has ever asked me that before.

8 minutes ago, Eki said:

Not quite true - she really couldn't use her powers. She had to call Pattern back to her, to restrengthen the bond:

OK, maybe she couldn't use her powers - just like Kaladin couldn't use his powers sometimes, before Syl wend "dead", and couldn't use them at all, when Syl was "dead". Still, the point was that she didn't "level down", just like Kaladin didn't "level down".

EDIT: she was probably "out of sync" with Pattern, summoning him synchronised them and she could soulcast. So again, a process similar to dead spren ressurection.

Edited by marianmi

@marianmi but it's quite explicit her "level down". In the books she spokes 3 truths (I am scary, I killed dad and I killed mom) as Pattern said She needed to use her powers, if She wasn't  "level down" this would take her to somethin like 6/5 Oaths :lol:

Every Shallan's usage of KR's Abilities come when she already spoke a rightful amount of Truth also her Shardblade-summon is never showed before she spoke again the Second Truth (3rd Oath to compare with other Order).

As added note: Pattern said she was a more Skilled Lightweaver as a Child...This isn't something a proto-surgebinder or a L1 Surgebinder may achieve...Create complex illusions

Without the fact that Kal actually have to re-swear his previous Oaths, probably Syl was already resurrected before the Third Oath...But the Stormfather stopped her to return

Edited by Yata

As an aside, it is probably easier for a child KR to progress than an adult. Especially for the morality based progression orders like windrunners. Think how much easier it is to convince a child to adopt some moral code than an adult. Now imagine a magical spren telling a child what is right and wrong, that child is going to take it to heart.

Slight nitpick here: The First Ideal does need to be said verbatim

Interview: Mar 18th, 2014

tganchero

No specific question.

Brandon Sanderson

Not completely sure on this one: He said that at one point Shallan may have said all the oaths for her order (or may have been capable of saying all of the oaths by the end of the book) but has since regressed due to "memory loss/repression." Regarding Dalinar: He said that Dalinar has had a bond with the Stormfather "for a while." He also only said one oath at the top of the Urithiru tower, not two. Dalinar conveyed a single idea in that particular oath. Brandon also clarified that the oaths, with the exception of the first ideal, are not restricted to specific words. Rather, a specific idea must be conveyed for the oath to be accepted.

• Chaos locked this topic