Mistborn Era 3/Era 4 Tech: How the Metallic Arts Might Influence Scientific Development

Quadrophenia

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Maybe they can do some funky stuff with Mistwraiths, or enact Spook's plan to create Hemalurgic Spikes.

Maybe but Harmony doesn't agree with that(or just the general application of Hemalurgy) and only sees the hemalurgic spike to guide people

There's also that he's half Ruin so he's probably not gonna make an effort to stop people from dying. 

17 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I just had an idea. A suit, for Skimmers, which has threads of iron woven in. Kinda like one of those gliding suits, but less gliding, and more being completely weightless. Instead of having heavy bracers, you could just wear one of these and be able to better take advantage of your weight manipulation. I can just imagine having one of these...I go to the top of a building, swan dive off, store all my weight into the suit, and just float there, in midair. I think that'd be kinda fun.

I forgot to mention, but I think this is brilliant.

18 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I just had an idea. A suit, for Skimmers, which has threads of iron woven in. Kinda like one of those gliding suits, but less gliding, and more being completely weightless. Instead of having heavy bracers, you could just wear one of these and be able to better take advantage of your weight manipulation. I can just imagine having one of these...I go to the top of a building, swan dive off, store all my weight into the suit, and just float there, in midair. I think that'd be kinda fun.

That's... epic.

Along that idea, you could do the same with steel, with running shoes for Steelrunners, with steel fibers woven in. 

1 hour ago, Quadrophenia said:

I forgot to mention, but I think this is brilliant.

Thanks. I can sense that this topic will soon be full of ideas just as brilliant, if not more, as mine.

52 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Along that idea, you could do the same with steel, with running shoes for Steelrunners, with steel fibers woven in. 

I didn't think of that. The thing with physical metals like Iron, steel, or even Pewter with Feruchemy is that the heavy metalminds get in the way. With Iron, they'd weigh you down, with steel they'd create drag, and with Pewter they'd constrain your bulk, as Pewter Feruchemy stores muscle mass, meaning that you increase in size when you tap a significant amount...and your metalminds would either burst or cut off circulation. One of those is bad because you would lose your strength, the other is bad because you could seriously hurt or even kill yourself after a while. Stretchy suit for Brutes, anyone?

9 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I didn't think of that. The thing with physical metals like Iron, steel, or even Pewter with Feruchemy is that the heavy metalminds get in the way. With Iron, they'd weigh you down, with steel they'd create drag, and with Pewter they'd constrain your bulk, as Pewter Feruchemy stores muscle mass, meaning that you increase in size when you tap a significant amount...and your metalminds would either burst or cut off circulation. One of those is bad because you would lose your strength, the other is bad because you could seriously hurt or even kill yourself after a while. Stretchy suit for Brutes, anyone?

I believe it was said that brute metalminds at least aren't full bracers, but rather open bands which go around the arm and which can bend with the muscle expansion. Nonetheless, there would definitely be limits, though IIRC, Sazed tapped a fair amount in WoA and grew a fair bit without any problem. The stretchy suit would be an interesting idea. It would be tricky to have it setup so the pewter is always touching the skin, while still keeping it stretchy.

I feel Wax and Wayne as a series has already touched on this, but you have to think as the technology advances and architects become more ambitious that Allomancers would dominate the construction industry, yeah? 

Edited by Quadrophenia

12 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

I feel Wax and Wayne as a series has already touched on this, but you have to think as the technology advances and architects become more ambitious that Allomancers would dominate the construction industry, yeah? 

As with many things on Scadrial, I feel like the medallions throw that for a loop.  Now a company can have as many Pewterarms/Brutes as they have the budget for medallions, or rather they will have that capacity once the medallions' construction becomes practical.  In the meantime, however, yeah, heavy lifters of both varieties, Bloodmakers (esp. in hazardous conditions), even Coinshots and Lurchers would be inordinately helpful.  

15 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

As with many things on Scadrial, I feel like the medallions throw that for a loop.  Now a company can have as many Pewterarms/Brutes as they have the budget for medallions, or rather they will have that capacity once the medallions' construction becomes practical.  In the meantime, however, yeah, heavy lifters of both varieties, Bloodmakers (esp. in hazardous conditions), even Coinshots and Lurchers would be inordinately helpful.  

That's a fair point. The Medallions undercut the Allomancers themselves. Even Allomancers will be obsolete in their own world! That's just crazy. 

This would be like if in, say, the Harry Potter universe Wizards ditched the whimsical owl message delivery system for... the internet. It's kind of depressing, in its weird way.

13 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

That's a fair point. The Medallions undercut the Allomancers themselves. Even Allomancers will be obsolete in their own world! That's just crazy. 

This would be like if in, say, the Harry Potter universe Wizards ditched the whimsical owl message delivery system for... the internet. It's kind of depressing, in its weird way.

I mean, the allomancers wouldn't be obsolete entirely. They would just be more for higher-end needs. It's true though that once you made a medallion which gave nicrosil allomancy and feruchemy, anyone holding that medallion could infinitely recharge the nicrosil in other medallions.

14 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I mean, the allomancers wouldn't be obsolete entirely. They would just be more for higher-end needs. It's true though that once you made a medallion which gave nicrosil allomancy and feruchemy, anyone holding that medallion could infinitely recharge the nicrosil in other medallions.

Devalues the uniqueness a tad, but if it's necessary for society to advance I'll still be all for it. 

On 08/10/2016 at 5:41 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

Are we certain this is how it works? I'd imagine that you actually deplete the nicrosil charge in you medallion doing this, probably at a 1:1 rate or worse, otherwise it would be incredibly broken.

2 hours ago, randuir said:

Are we certain this is how it works? I'd imagine that you actually deplete the nicrosil charge in you medallion doing this, probably at a 1:1 rate or worse, otherwise it would be incredibly broken.

Compounding the charges would refill it faster than you will use it up.

9 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Now...

How about robotics? If anything would be a massive game changer on Scadrial...

Ah, yes, this idea again (one of my favorites).

Just imagine: Terminators made out of aluminum.

Edited by Turbonator

I think something like 3D Maneuver Gear for Coinshots or Lurchers would be awesome. The Lurcher ones would fire the grapple part without a tether, and something like spike launcher things could be added to boost the speed of Coinshots (The tethers pull forwards while a continuous Push directed towards the spikes behind pushes you forwards even more.) I think that'd be very useful. And for those who don't know what that is, this is what it looks like, although my design has them without the gigantic compartment for swords.Image result for 3d maneuver gear

16 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I think something like 3D Maneuver Gear for Coinshots or Lurchers would be awesome. The Lurcher ones would fire the grapple part without a tether, and something like spike launcher things could be added to boost the speed of Coinshots (The tethers pull forwards while a continuous Push directed towards the spikes behind pushes you forwards even more.) I think that'd be very useful. And for those who don't know what that is, this is what it looks like, although my design has them without the gigantic compartment for swords.Image result for 3d maneuver gear

God, that'd be cool. Not to mention, something like the 3DMG would be more in-line with technological advancement on Scadrial when you incorporate the Metallic Arts than, say, inventing pulpy jetpacks. Jetpacks are cool, but given BoM has just proven Scadrial has effectively established man-made flight that doesn't rely on natural resources in any possible way (profoundly cutting down on emissions and greenhouse gases ) I don't quite see the necessity for their invention if one could just create personalized machines that could (through necrosil) replicate Pushes and Pulls for a similar and cheaper effect.

Now, going back to medicinal science...

We've already covered what a potential boon Bloodmaker donors could be. 

So can I propose something else?

Tineye or Windwhisperer Doctors. Think about it; imagine how much more accurate a surgeon could be if all five of their senses were heightened to superhuman levels. They would be more precise, they would know exactly where to cut without endangering a patient's life. On top of that, specially trained doctors would be able to smell certain chemicals in the body to determine an accurate diagnosis or catch certain tumours and cancers in a preventable stage-

That last bit, I admit, was inspired by a plot point in the Hannibal TV show where Hannibal, cannibal extraordinare, was able to pick up stomach cancer, stage four lung cancer and encephalitis in various characters through scent alone. So imagine that, but amplified. 

Edited by Quadrophenia

1 minute ago, Quadrophenia said:

God, that'd be cool. Not to mention, something like the 3DMG would be more in-line with technological advancement on Scadrial when you incorporate the Metallic Arts than, say, inventing pulpy jetpacks. Jetpacks are cool, but given BoM has just proven Scadrial has effectively established man-made flight that doesn't rely on natural resources in any possible way (cutting down on emissions and greenhouse gases in a profound way) I don't quite see the necessity for their invention l if one could just create personalized machines that could (through necrosil) replicate Pushes and Pulls for a similar and cheaper effect.

Now, going back to medicinal science...

We've already covered what a potential boon Bloodmaker donors could be. 

So can I propose something else?

Tineye or Windwhisperer Doctors. Think about it; imagine how much more accurate a surgeon could be if all five of their senses would heightened to superhuman levels. They would be more precise, they would know exactly where to cut without endangering a patient's life. On top of that, specially trained doctors would be able to smell certain chemicals in the body to determine an accurate diagnosis or catch certain tumours and cancers in a preventable stage-

That last bit, I admit, was inspired by a plot point in the Hannibal TV show where Hannibal, cannibal extraordinare, was able to pick up stomach cancer, stage four lung cancer and encephalitis in various characters through scent alone. So imagine that, but amplified. 

Wait, medicinal science.

Thugs heal quickly, right?

What if one were to take an ettmetal primer cube, fill it up with pewter Allomancy, and give it to a sick/unwell/frail person? It could be a good treatment. 

It would be even better to create an unkeyed goldmind that was filled all the way and give that to the sick and unwell and frail.

22 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Wait, medicinal science.

Thugs heal quickly, right?

What if one were to take an ettmetal primer cube, fill it up with pewter Allomancy, and give it to a sick/unwell/frail person? It could be a good treatment. 

It would be even better to create an unkeyed goldmind that was filled all the way and give that to the sick and unwell and frail.

You'd first have to ensure there would be organic compatibility, I think. 

57 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

You'd first have to ensure there would be organic compatibility, I think. 

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. Wayne was able to tap an unkeyed goldmind with no issues.

...I am pretty sure than no one has thought of this, but something like a Steel/Iron medallion harness thing would be pretty useful for amputees or cripples. They could just pull and push themselves around, and pull objects towards them.