Returned and Herolds - A thought

Kier

So, I'm sitting at work listening to The Way of Kings for like the 7th or 8th time.

Spoiler

And I got thinking of Zhael and Vasher...We know that Vasher came to Roshar because of easier access to Breaths... And we also know the Herolds are also around and alive.

and the thought popped into my head... are Herolds on Roshar are as Returned to Nathlis? 

Anyone know if that is the case? (Sorry for spelling and stuff... I am just at work, and dont have a copy of Words of Radiance with me. 

Do you mean to suggest that the Heralds consume stormlight to stay alive like the Returned consume breath to stay alive?

Hmm...I don't think I've heard that proposed before, but it sounds downright plausible, maybe even likely.  There really ought to be some sort of magical explanation for the Herald's apparent biological immortality, and preferably a relatively simple one that can't easily be reproduced by non-Heralds on Roshar, it would just be weird if there wasn't.  I'd be willing to accept that Honor and/or Cultivation granted them an ability functionally similar to the Returned on Nalthis, probably through their unique bonds to their Honorblades.

I'm sorry I can't cite (I'm on the move at the moment) but I'm pretty sure I've seen a WoB in which he either smiles suggestively or says "RAFO, but good question" or some such to the question of whether the Heralds are even native to Roshar. So maybe they just are Returned :P

5 hours ago, Krandacth said:

I'm sorry I can't cite (I'm on the move at the moment) but I'm pretty sure I've seen a WoB in which he either smiles suggestively or says "RAFO, but good question" or some such to the question of whether the Heralds are even native to Roshar. So maybe they just are Returned :P

Had to search Theoryland for a similar topic a while back, so here's relevant information about the Heralds Origins:

Dec, 2010:  Who each of the Heralds are and what their natures were is important.

March 11, 2014:  Were the heralds born on Roshar?   RAFO

Sept 4th, 2014:  Is he Rosharan? Taln is Rosharan. // Native to Roshar. That I have to RAFO. // The Heralds are from the same place that Taln is from.

Feb 17, 2016:  The Heralds do not come from Nalthis, but that is an excellent question.

Apr 8th, 2016:  It is normal for a cognitive shadow to get stuck to places, because they exist through investiture it is normal for them to get tied to an area. This happened with Odium and the two shards on Roshar, Preservation to Ruin, and the Heralds (To Roshar? Braize?).

Relevant information on Theoryland containing the "Heralds" tag

Edited by The One Who Connects

Considering Brandon wants SA to stand on it's own, I would guess if the Heralds are not native to Roshar that either means their history will not play a major role in the story or that they are from somewhere else in the Roshar system like Braize. We know two Heralds are supposed to have flashback books, so that suggests major plot points will remain in the Greater Roshar system.

The other possibility is stuff outside of the Greater Roshar System will not be identified as such (sort of hand-waved over).

Mild spoilers for future works for Dragon Steel and Mistborn Era4:

Spoiler

But Brandon may not want to trample on that "stand-alone' aspect in other Cosmere books. So e.g. if Yolen is in a different solar system he may want to avoid it because of future plans for Dragon Steel.

Basically, look for major Cosmere stuff in other series, especially Mistborn, where Hoid is supposed be the protagonist in Era 4.

Short version is look for major Cosmere stuff in non-Stormlight Archive books. 

• Chaos locked this topic