Stormlight Archive trailers

So I decided to finally write down my ideas for Stormlight Archive trailers. To be used for our upcoming Studio 17 production

Trailer #1-Overall 

Spoiler

Black screen, bitter-sweet piano softly starts, then the screen begins to brighten, and details begin to be able to slowly made out. It's twilight, huge stone beasts can be made out, bodies are strewn across the battlefield, the sky is blood red and the ground seems to be total desolation, grey-scale with flecks of occasional red, it is windy and very dusty.  Some people walk across the landscape, dressed primitively with Shardbearers walking among them

"Almighty above, you're broken too aren't you?"

The wind picks up and dust is thrown across the screen, the angle changes into a birds-eye view of the battlefield, there is a large spire coming out of the rocky ground. In it's shadow lie 7 blades, their detail obscured by the dusty wind. The angle changes to a ground-view of a pair of sandaled feet (Kalak)walking slowly up a rocky incline

Footsteps can be heard, in time to the piano, which slowly increases in tempo and becomes more complex. People lie among those sandaled feet as they walk, some of them not quite dead, their mouths twisted in pain, yet no sound can be heard save for the hollow wind, the footsteps and the piano. Deep trombone begins to play.

"Nothing seems to make sense anymore"

The scene cuts to a man in ornate blue Shardplate, walking into an arena, the people are cheering yet no sound can be heard. the scene changes to an overhead shot, and we can see that there is another man in the Arena. In the sand which they stand upon are the words "Studio 17 present" 

The scene cuts again, this time to another man in unadorned slate grey shardplate being overcome with Parshendi. The piano lowers in tempo and the trombone plays a funeral march. 

Once more the scene cuts, this time back to the first scene, focused on Kalak's bloodstained hands, slowly tensing. His honorblade is summoned, wet, drops fall from the tip of the blade facing down. The camera follows the drops as they hit the bloody ground in which read the words "A 17 Shard Production"        in slow motion, red staining the water.

The piano merges into a simpler tune, the trombone speeds up and bass drum is introduced, thumping twice every fourth beat.

The scene cuts to a young boy crying over the body of a young girl,he is surrounded by a small crowd.A man is crying out, restrained by his friends yet no sound can be heard. Deep and powerful violin enters like Heart of Courage from Two Steps from Hell. 

"There are two types of people in this world, Those who save lives, and those who take lives"

Scene cuts, trombone becomes deep and rumbling, the piano goes down a few octaves and the violin quickens.

A man is screaming as a brand is pressed on his forehead, yet there is no sound.

The scene cuts to a boat moving swiftly through the ocean at a side view, a woman with red hair stands at the helm, spray fanning by her sides.

The words "Based on the books by Brandon Sanderson" appear in front of the boat moving along with it. The violin, trombone and the bass diminish, taken over by the piano, which has gone down to the lowest octave, and plays a tune similar to "Imperial March", as the camera moves swiftly under the boat, going down into the depths until everything is in semi-darkness. A massive (santhid) eye opens up in the darkness, it's eye giving off a luminous glow, but it has the double pupil.

"What about those who take lives to save lives?" (citation needed)

The eye closes and the scene cuts to windspren and sky-eels dancing and twirling through the sky, moving the camera through the sky and into view of Kharbranth, moving through the city, through the Palaneum and into the hallway where Jasnah is soulcasting the rock into smoke, the music takes on a slight mysterious tone here. The camera moves through the scene similar to Deadpool's opening, here we introduce our team. The entrance of the hallway is yours truly, and then as it moves through, next to some Parshmen standing back are the words "The Young Bard", then the camera weaves through them, where Shallan stands with a cloth on her mouth, next to her are the words "Thanatariel" and "Roshax" then the camera moves to Jasnah, hands outstretched, about to touch the rock. "Arraenae", "Sheep", "Aierdome", as well as space for two more names. It then moves on to Taravangian, who is looking concerned, sweat on his forehead, there will be space for 5 more names. The scene resumes and Jasnah turns the rock into smoke.

The smoke rises up, and with a cymbal crash, a tribal drum beat begins, and in the smoke we see Kaladin doing his katas with Syl moving around him. This scene will be done as a white outline, like chalk.The perspective switches to Bridge 4, who start to crowd around to watch Kaladin. Some of the men point and whisper.

"They call him Stormblessed"

The sound of a flute cuts through the drums and the drums subside, the camera pans out of the smoke and the scene has changed to Wit playing his flute while sitting near a campfire, creation spren move around him, some taking the shape of ships, islands and strange beings.

Thunder rumbles and the scene changes, the Stormfather looking through the highstorm, a synthetic choir begins to sing in the background

"Honor is dead"

The music cuts. 

The scene cuts for the last time, going back to the first scene. We can now hear the moans and screams of the dying. Kalak looks around him, at the devastation, honorblade in hand. He  then looks at the figure in blue and white, who nods at him. The figure summons his honorblade and slams it into the ground in front of him. Kalak looks at the sky and slams his honor blade into the ground as well, staring at it for a while, regret written on his face.

"Forgive us"

The scene cuts back to black, and the words "The Everstorm is Coming"and then fade out

"The Way of Kings", "Stormlight Archive"

Then finally we have a brief scene of a figure in white jumping down to the ground white stormlight around him as he hits the ground, a building behind him, in front of him lies the silhouette of a fallen figure in Shardblade, a jut of wood impaling him

END

I will post the POV trailers here as well

28 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

So I decided to finally write down my ideas for Stormlight Archive trailers. To be used for our upcoming Studio 17 production

Trailer #1-Overall 

Hide contents

Black screen, bitter-sweet piano softly starts, then the screen begins to brighten, and details begin to be able to slowly made out. It's twilight, huge stone beasts can be made out, bodies are strewn across the battlefield, the sky is blood red and the ground seems to be total desolation, grey-scale with flecks of occasional red, it is windy and very dusty.  Some people walk across the landscape, dressed primitively with Shardbearers walking among them

"Almighty above, you're broken too aren't you?"

The wind picks up and dust is thrown across the screen, the angle changes into a birds-eye view of the battlefield, there is a large spire coming out of the rocky ground. In it's shadow lie 7 blades, their detail obscured by the dusty wind. The angle changes to a ground-view of a pair of sandaled feet (Kalak)walking slowly up a rocky incline

Footsteps can be heard, in time to the piano, which slowly increases in tempo and becomes more complex. People lie among those sandaled feet as they walk, some of them not quite dead, their mouths twisted in pain, yet no sound can be heard save for the hollow wind, the footsteps and the piano. Deep trombone begins to play.

"Nothing seems to make sense anymore"

The scene cuts to a man in ornate blue Shardplate, walking into an arena, the people are cheering yet no sound can be heard. the scene changes to an overhead shot, and we can see that there is another man in the Arena. In the sand which they stand upon are the words "Studio 17 present" 

The scene cuts again, this time to another man in unadorned slate grey shardplate being overcome with Parshendi. The piano lowers in tempo and the trombone plays a funeral march. 

Once more the scene cuts, this time back to the first scene, focused on Kalak's bloodstained hands, slowly tensing. His honorblade is summoned, wet, drops fall from the tip of the blade facing down. The camera follows the drops as they hit the bloody ground in which read the words "A 17 Shard Production"        in slow motion, red staining the water.

The piano merges into a simpler tune, the trombone speeds up and bass drum is introduced, thumping twice every fourth beat.

The scene cuts to a young boy crying over the body of a young girl,he is surrounded by a small crowd.A man is crying out, restrained by his friends yet no sound can be heard. Deep and powerful violin enters like Heart of Courage from Two Steps from Hell. 

"There are two types of people in this world, Those who save lives, and those who take lives"

Scene cuts, trombone becomes deep and rumbling, the piano goes down a few octaves and the violin quickens.

A man is screaming as a brand is pressed on his forehead, yet there is no sound.

The scene cuts to a boat moving swiftly through the ocean at a side view, a woman with red hair stands at the helm, spray fanning by her sides.

The words "Based on the books by Brandon Sanderson" appear in front of the boat moving along with it. The violin, trombone and the bass diminish, taken over by the piano, which has gone down to the lowest octave, and plays a tune similar to "Imperial March", as the camera moves swiftly under the boat, going down into the depths until everything is in semi-darkness. A massive (santhid) eye opens up in the darkness, it's eye giving off a luminous glow, but it has the double pupil.

"What about those who take lives to save lives?" (citation needed)

The eye closes and the scene cuts to windspren and sky-eels dancing and twirling through the sky, moving the camera through the sky and into view of Kharbranth, moving through the city, through the Palaneum and into the hallway where Jasnah is soulcasting the rock into smoke, the music takes on a slight mysterious tone here. The camera moves through the scene similar to Deadpool's opening, here we introduce our team. The entrance of the hallway is yours truly, and then as it moves through, next to some Parshmen standing back are the words "The Young Bard", then the camera weaves through them, where Shallan stands with a cloth on her mouth, next to her are the words "Thanatariel" and "Roshax" then the camera moves to Jasnah, hands outstretched, about to touch the rock. "Arraenae", "Sheep", "Aierdome", as well as space for two more names. It then moves on to Taravangian, who is looking concerned, sweat on his forehead, there will be space for 5 more names. The scene resumes and Jasnah turns the rock into smoke.

The smoke rises up, and with a cymbal crash, a tribal drum beat begins, and in the smoke we see Kaladin doing his katas with Syl moving around him. This scene will be done as a white outline, like chalk.The perspective switches to Bridge 4, who start to crowd around to watch Kaladin. Some of the men point and whisper.

"They call him Stormblessed"

The sound of a flute cuts through the drums and the drums subside, the camera pans out of the smoke and the scene has changed to Wit playing his flute while sitting near a campfire, creation spren move around him, some taking the shape of ships, islands and strange beings.

Thunder rumbles and the scene changes, the Stormfather looking through the highstorm, a synthetic choir begins to sing in the background

"Honor is dead"

The music cuts. 

The scene cuts for the last time, going back to the first scene. We can now hear the moans and screams of the dying. Kalak looks around him, at the devastation, honorblade in hand. He  then looks at the figure in blue and white, who nods at him. The figure summons his honorblade and slams it into the ground in front of him. Kalak looks at the sky and slams his honor blade into the ground as well, staring at it for a while, regret written on his face.

"Forgive us"

The scene cuts back to black, and the words "The Everstorm is Coming"and then fade out

"The Way of Kings", "Stormlight Archive"

Then finally we have a brief scene of a figure in white jumping down to the ground white stormlight around him as he hits the ground, a building behind him, in front of him lies the silhouette of a fallen figure in Shardblade, a jut of wood impaling him

END

I will post the POV trailers here as well

Yes! I like it! Is this actually a thing? Are you people working on it? Studio 17 production?

Edited by I_am_a_Stick

On 8/19/2016 at 6:02 AM, Doctor12 said:

Ey mate why don't you post your trailer in the earlier thread to keep things tidy?  No need to create a new trailer thread is there? 

I tried searching for that thread yesterday. I had to search by 'start date' to actually find it. Maybe I'm blind, but it hasn't had activity for a while and those become difficult to see

On 8/19/2016 at 5:42 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

can see that there is another man in the Arena. In the sand which they stand upon are the words "Studio 17 present" 

. . .

The camera follows the drops as they hit the bloody ground in which read the words "A 17 Shard Production"    in slow motion, red staining the water.

This nearly got me. It's a good trailer all in all, though why no Szeth?  Edit: I'm blind.

Edited by The One Who Connects

15 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

Ey mate why don't you post your trailer in the earlier thread to keep things tidy?  No need to create a new trailer thread is there? 

I actualy couldn't find that thread. idk why, I just coudn't seem to find it, same as @The One Who Connects

8 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

why no Szeth?

Read the last part, like a short "post-scene", Szeth jumping down the balcony as Gavilar lays dying

Also @Doctor12,  I thought it would be good if we made a separate thread for Studio 17 material

@I_am_a_Stick, Yes, Studio 17 is a real thing 

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

Rough idea of a Shallan-focused trailer. Needs lots of feedback and tweaking. The flashbacks should be enough to hint something bad in Shallan's past, but not what it is. We don't want to give our audience spoilers, do we? :P

Starts with a close shot of Shallan's hands drawing something on a sketchpad. She rips off the paper, crumples it, and starts drawing again. This time, there's an image of a Cryptic in the drawing. She rips off the paper again and throws it aside.

Next shot shows Shallan's face. She's scared and keeps on sketching furiously. The camera zooms out and shows Cryptics standing behind her.

The scene changes to an appropriate Shallan flashback.

Back to Shallan, in a shot that lets us see what she's drawing (over her shoulder?). Crumpled papers litter the area around her. She's sketching the room in front of her, which is full of Cryptics. The camera tilts upwards to show the space in front of her full of menacing-looking Cryptics, just like in the drawing.

Shallan turns and runs.

The scene changes to an appropriate Shallan flashback, preferably when a younger Shallan is also running from something.

Back to present-Shallan, in a similar vein, until Shallan reaches her room. She tries to use the soulcaster to defend herself.

"What are you?" Pattern asks.

"I'm terrified," Shallan replies.

(Flashback to a room covered in blood?)

Screen fades to black and name of show appears, followed by the Studio 17 logo. Maybe appropriate Pattern quote.

Trailer #2 WoK. will use scenes from the overall trailer as well

Spoiler

BLACK SCREEN, thunder sounds in the distance.

"Can you feel it?"

Lightning illuminates the dark screen, revealing the face of the Stormfather, screen warps into blackness, the thunder distorting similar to a record squealing.

"I believe that's the sound the world makes when it pisses itself"

Black screen brightens to a ground view of the bridgemen's feet as they are jogging along the Shattered Plains, heavy breathing can be heard. A few seconds pass like this, and then they slowed down.

"Lift"

"Drop", the bridge is dropped beside the feet

"Push" the bridge is pushed by the men, their arms coming down

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

2 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

"Can you feel it?"

Lightning illuminates the dark screen, revealing the face of the Stormfather, screen warps into blackness, the thunder distorting similar to a record squealing.

"I believe that's the sound the world makes when it pisses itself"

I think this works better at the very end; like title screen -> black -> this happens, complete with some ambient music.

XD when you said 'can you feel it?' I was like 'coming? EMPIRE!'

Have you considered using stuff from WoR as well? I don't remember anything in it from that. I have always liked trailers that have 2nd season stuff that is awesome but makes no sense.

16 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

XD when you said 'can you feel it?' I was like 'coming? EMPIRE!'

Have you considered using stuff from WoR as well? I don't remember anything in it from that. I have always liked trailers that have 2nd season stuff that is awesome but makes no sense.

XD lol

yeah, I'm going to do a WoR trailer after this, then some PoV trailers

18 hours ago, Rasarr said:

I think this works better at the very end; like title screen -> black -> this happens, complete with some ambient music.

Maybe your right, lets' just wait till I actually get around to finishing it

I love the idea! is Studio 17 actually making a movie of some sort based on the stormlight archive? I've always thought that the Stormlight archive would work better as a TV show with each season being one book. Either way I would love to be involved with something like this, would that even be possible?

9 minutes ago, Maple Duke said:

I love the idea! is Studio 17 actually making a movie of some sort based on the stormlight archive? I've always thought that the Stormlight archive would work better as a TV show with each season being one book. Either way I would love to be involved with something like this, would that even be possible?

Just sign up where linked in the OP

On 24/08/2016 at 7:25 PM, Djarskublar said:

Not what I meant, but more trailers is good too. I meant that the WoK trailer should maybe have WoR scenes in it. Like the disadvantaged duel or Shallan doing something magicky maybe.

Shallan technically does something "magicky" (magical?) in WoK once too. :) It's on my "list of scenes/ideas for character trailers" that I need to discuss with Darkness sometime when we're not both flat-out. I raised the same possibility with Darkness about using WoR, but I think he wants to seperate WoK and WoR for trailers.

Edited by Ari

43 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

maybe some small implications  as far as putting WoR scenes into WoK trailers @Ari and @Djarskublar

@Maple Duke, still want to sign up?

I need to stop being lazy and finish the trailers lol, will try tomoz

Well, if you're using WoR scenes, they're Stormlight Archive trailers as opposed to WoK trailers. I think your way makes just as much sense, and honestly, there is enough to get started with both visually and script-wise using WoK scenes.

4 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

maybe some small implications  as far as putting WoR scenes into WoK trailers @Ari and @Djarskublar

@Maple Duke, still want to sign up?

I need to stop being lazy and finish the trailers lol, will try tomoz

Yes I would.

Couldn't find whatever link was in OP to sign up on.

• Chaos locked this topic