Threnody and what lies beneath

Djarskublar

First off, I haven't read Shadows for Silence yet, so I'd like to avoid spoilers, but I've been reading all the relevant threads anyway.

On to the main point! Someone (I'll maybe edit in a quote if I can figure that out) posted about the origin of the name Threnody. They were guessing that it had to do with a shattered shard. That was all well, good, and unprovable, but the thing that caught my attention was someone's comment that maybe the name came from something or someone interred in Threnody. Baseless guesswork time!

Basically, either the body of Adonalsium, or the weapon with which it was shattered is buried in Threnody. Which may or may not be causing the funkyness in their corner of the cognitive realm. Again, not having read the relevant novella, and since we know basically nothing about Mr A, I don't expect this to be correct. It is an interesting idea though. I didn't want to necropost over there, and this is a bit of a different topic, so here we are.

Thoughts? Evidence otherwise?

Oh, that actually has tons of potential. Go read it as soon as you can, btw, but spoilered for your sake and others:

Spoiler

What if the Evil that drove the settlers to Hell was the weapon being buried/driven into the planet for safekeeping, or to destroy it? I'm reminded of the Suncrusher from the Star Wars EU, which was initially flown into the gas giant Yavin to keep it from those who might want to use it).

jW

Yeah the Idea is quite baseless but it's possible and indeed interesting.

There  is only a single thing that bother me about this idea, Threnody is classificated as "minor Shardworld" aka a World without a significative Shardic Influence. I really doubt a place so relevant are lefted without control

Brandon said (I think near December) he want to work again on Threnody, therefore maybe we may get new informations.

Agreed that it's baseless, but still possible and cool. But depending on what is possibly buried there, Shards may not know or be avoiding it. If it's Adonalsium's body, then the Shards may be avoiding Threnody to avoid bad memories or some such. If it's the weapon, a certain storyteller may have hidden it there without the knowledge of the Shards. That would explain why Rayse isn't running around shattering Shards every other day with a weapon capable of Shattering Adonalsium. Basically I'm saying there are circumstances where there could be something really important there without any Shards wanting to Invest there. I do agree it is unlikely in that respect though. On the other hand, the number of Intents that would actually concern themselves with whatever is there is a non-16 number.

Assuming there is something significant hidden/buried/interred in Threnody, it could be invested enough (and be made in a such a way or be sapient enough) to be causing the Cognitive strangeness. And just because there aren't any shards invested there doesn't mean nothing important is there.

I like this theory, specifically that it's the weapon. I kinda doubt it's true, but I want it to be because I love Threnody and theorizing about it (I was the one who stumbled over the meaning of "threnodic" and used that as my jumping-off point). I really, really cannot wait to get my hands on the Khriss intro in Arcanum Unbounded. From what Brandon told me, it sounds like we're gonna get some actual answers in there.

• Chaos locked this topic