Stormlight Archive Youtube miniseries

I've been thinking about adapting the Stormlight Archive into a YouTube miniseries. I intend it to be similar in style to the Vixen miniseries by CW. Each Stormlight Archive book will be a series and every couple of chapters will be an episode. But first I need a team of capable and committed people to make this happen. BTW production of the series will probably start in a couple of years where in the mean-time we will develop scripts, storyboards etc etc.

I need people with animation, drawing, voice-acting, colouring, inking and video making skills. I hope for this project to become sponsored by Brandon Sanderson himself and to "get his blessings", permission etc, as well as Youtube, perhaps Tor.com and anyone else willing, might even create a Kickstarter project. I already have ideas for our "theme song" as well as how we will present the series. 

However creation of the series may be a tad bit difficult considering where we all live and our lives in general.

ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OUR PROJECT, JOIN THE DISCORD SERVER VIA -HERE-----https://discord.gg/RwrTufS

AFTER SIGNING UP THERE, YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED A ROLE AND WILL BE ADDED TO MY LIST OF PEOPLE HELPING OUT WITH THE PRODUCT HERE--https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nHgZoswW_fJU-qsG58g5TBtBYewKQxwk8yNY07-0wGI/edit?usp=sharing

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS, FEEL FREE TO ASK

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN PLEASE PM ME WITH WHAT U WANT TO HELP OUT WITH

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

Pretty interesting, my group pals have discussed this before, like SA should be filmed into movies, series, animation movies(like Dreakworks), or animes. Besides, SA quite fits the concept of fantasy series like Game of Thrones(of course entirely different routes); as for the Interludes, they could be made into short films on YouTube, just the same as The Walking Dead has done.

Umm, undoubtedly any kind of adaptation of Stormlight Archive would be a huge project.

I can help with the music score, as well as scriptwriting. I agree that filming the actual thing will be by far the hardest part (we have 2 Sydneyers, though. Any other Australian fans interested in joining in?)

I mean, I'd be happy to try and give other stuff a go, but those two are the only things I have experience in (and I have a bit of experience acting, as well, but if you want fans to do the acting, it would almost certainly be in America to get enough people. There just aren't enough Australian Sanderfans around.)

16 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

I can help with the music score, as well as scriptwriting. I agree that filming the actual thing will be by far the hardest part (we have 2 Sydneyers, though. Any other Australian fans interested in joining in?)

I mean, I'd be happy to try and give other stuff a go, but those two are the only things I have experience in (and I have a bit of experience acting, as well, but if you want fans to do the acting, it would almost certainly be in America to get enough people. There just aren't enough Australian Sanderfans around.)

Great! One question, what software do u use? Acid, Garage Band etc etc

I'll set up a discord server and anyone who wants to join can join it. But you have to give a reason for you joining and explain why we would want you on our team, if I feel anyone joins for no reason or just for the lols then they will be kicked.

48 minutes ago, Sam Script said:

Pretty interesting, my group pals have discussed this before, like SA should be filmed into movies, series, animation movies(like Dreakworks), or animes. Besides, SA quite fits the concept of fantasy series like Game of Thrones(of course entirely different routes); as for the Interludes, they could be made into short films on YouTube, just the same as The Walking Dead has done.

Umm, undoubtedly any kind of adaptation of Stormlight Archive would be a huge project.

Precisely why I am giving it 2 years before the real stuff starts. and btw it shouldn't be too hard if we have enough people, the only people who would have to really work hard would be the animators and the artists.

Oh and I will be helping out with the scriptwriting, drawing, inking and a bit of the voice acting. The animations itself does not have to be extremely fluid like a Dreamworks movie.

2 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Great! One question, what software do u use? Acid, Garage Band etc etc

I have a Windows computer, and I've never heard of Acid. Generally, I use Musescore to work on the score and then transfer it to the school computer because it has Sibelius, which has better midi files at the very end. (I really should get it over with and just pirate Sibelius...)

27 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

I have a Windows computer, and I've never heard of Acid. Generally, I use Musescore to work on the score and then transfer it to the school computer because it has Sibelius, which has better midi files at the very end. (I really should get it over with and just pirate Sibelius...)

Musescore? lol I've never heard of that. Well, whatever you use, welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

Do you use something like SynthFont to give the MIDIs "real" sound?

10 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Musescore? lol I've never heard of that. Well, whatever you use, welcome aboard!

I like to consider Musescore as the "poor man's Sibelius" haha.  It's basically a free downloadable music program that allows you to write scores/sheet music.  I have it and it's decent, although I agree with @The Young Bard that it's midi sound quality is definitely not the greatest.  

I would love to get in on helping with the music, I've already written some pieces for SA for fun. But I recognize that @The Young Bard has first dibs!  So if you'd like some help I'd be more than happy to work on it together.  But I'll leave that up to you!  No pressure.

If nothing else, I'd be interested in voice acting.  I'm American but I really enjoy doing accents, too!

2 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

I like to consider Musescore as the "poor man's Sibelius" haha.  It's basically a free downloadable music program that allows you to write scores/sheet music.  I have it and it's decent, although I agree with @The Young Bard that it's midi sound quality is definitely not the greatest.  

I would love to get in on helping with the music, I've already written some pieces for SA for fun. But I recognize that @The Young Bard has first dibs!  So if you'd like some help I'd be more than happy to work on it together.  But I'll leave that up to you!  No pressure.

If nothing else, I'd be interested in voice acting.  I'm American but I really enjoy doing accents, too!

No problem, you both can work on it together. And the more people ----

3 hours ago, Rasarr said:

Wow, SA animated series sounds awesome. If you'd like someone to help with script-writing and voice acting, count me in.

----voice-acting the better!, And script-writing will take a while, so the more the merrier

3 hours ago, Arraenae said:

I can help with coloring, but I've never animated before. I have a Windows computer, Gimp, and Krita.

Great! I'm no good at colouring

55 minutes ago, Doctor12 said:

I've started a thread some time ago for posters and trailers for the Stormlight books,  so you're sorted on the trailer part heh. 

Some of those trailers are amazing!  We'd have a lot to work with.  Cool!

So, just to clarify, we are considering this an animated series correct?  I saw some people talk about filming/acting so I just wanted to make sure...

45 minutes ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Some of those trailers are amazing!  We'd have a lot to work with.  Cool!

So, just to clarify, we are considering this an animated series correct?  I saw some people talk about filming/acting so I just wanted to make sure...

Oh... That certainly makes location issues a lot easier. (Although rendering suddenly becomes a lot harder...)

4 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

That would be great! I could do with some help. I'll create a Dropbox here for SA files (I find it easier than Discord to actually find the files if you're looking for it several months later...) Maybe for the scriptwriting Google Docs would be better, but I'll leave that up to Darkness Ascendant.

(Anyone interested in adding/contributing to the project, please send a PM to me, and I can give you editing rights.)

EDIT: I've created a Dropbox folder - anyone who's interested in the project can PM me an e-mail address so I can give them editing access. (You can make one especially for this, if you're worried about privacy issues.)

Edited by The Young Bard

2 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I've started a thread some time ago for posters and trailers for the Stormlight books,  so you're sorted on the trailer part heh. 

Wow, some of these are great, might use some of those ideas for the trailers. I have some great ideas for what our "theme song" will look like!

48 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Oh... That certainly makes location issues a lot easier. (Although rendering suddenly becomes a lot harder...)

That would be great! I could do with some help. I'll create a Dropbox here for SA files (I find it easier than Discord to actually find the files if you're looking for it several months later...) Maybe for the scriptwriting Google Docs would be better, but I'll leave that up to Darkness Ascendant.

(Anyone interested in adding/contributing to the project, please send a PM to me, and I can give you editing rights.)

EDIT: I've created a Dropbox folder - anyone who's interested in the project can PM me an e-mail address so I can give them editing access. (You can make one especially for this, if you're worried about privacy issues.)

I'm just going to "assert some authority" here seeing as I started this thread (don't get me wrong, we all have had these ideas), but if anyone is going to do ANYTHING, they have to PM me and get the all-clear, just to maintain some form of authority. Because it feels like Young Bard here is taking control (not meant personally mate). 
I am about to create a google-doc which anyone can edit. On the doco, I will put the names of people contributing to this project as well as their contact details (namely email)

31 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I'm just going to "assert some authority" here seeing as I started this thread (don't get me wrong, we all have had these ideas), but if anyone is going to do ANYTHING, they have to PM me and get the all-clear, just to maintain some form of authority. Because it feels like Young Bard here is taking control (not meant personally mate). 
I am about to create a google-doc which anyone can edit. On the doco, I will put the names of people contributing to this project as well as their contact details (namely email)

OK. That's good for planning and all of that, but it makes things difficult with score compositions and so on. I'll wait for your go ahead before doing anything else like that, though.

15 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

OK. That's good for planning and all of that, but it makes things difficult with score compositions and so on. I'll wait for your go ahead before doing anything else like that, though.

Give me the Dropbox link as well as the ability to edit anything please. I'm fine with you creating the Dropbox thing, and i'll like make you "Head of Music Production" to give you some authority over your rabble

The Discord Server is almost ready and I've almost finished the doco

EDIT-Server and Doco complete, Everyone who wants to join...join. (I'm SOOOO Excited)

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

The only thing I really could help with is music - I used to compose for fun a couple of years ago and I found a program with which I could midis sound much better. Could upload some examples. Also I have or at least had score perfect, which is more or less Sibelius 

Not that much on the front of speach if you don't want a person which speaks with a heavy German and a light Russian accent at the same time.

On 29 July 2016 at 0:49 PM, Darkness Ascendant said:

I hope for this project to become sponsored by Brandon Sanderson himself and to "get his blessings", permission etc, as well as Youtube, perhaps Tor.com and anyone else willing, might even create a Kickstarter project. 

It's not illegal if Brandon Saderson himself sponsors it is it? I don't really know much about this kinda stuff but I like the idea

1 hour ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

It's not illegal if Brandon Saderson himself sponsors it is it? I don't really know much about this kinda stuff but I like the idea

Well, right now it's just a brainstorming: Let's get like-minded people together and see if we can form a competent team.  If we can do that, then we'd actually have something to back up a proposal to Mr. Sanderson.  Instead of proposing a far-fetched dream by some random fans who are completely disorganized and have no real idea what they're doing, we would say: here's what we want to try, we are all set to go, all we need is the go ahead.  Also, no matter what, this is a fan endeavor.  I mean, we're not trying to steal his work to make money off of it, we just want to visualize the books we love so much.  I mean, I doubt this is going to bring us fame or fortune, but we'll have a blast doing it! 

So, what we're doing now is totally fine; no less legal than fan art or fan fiction I would think. Will it work in the end?  I don't know, but then again, we should try!  Life before death, people, come on! :P

@Darkness Ascendant - I propose that we have concrete teams with leaders for each task.  Like a task pyramid, with you "El Directoro", at the top.  SO for example: make @The Young Bard "Director of Music Production", and I'll be like Co-Director or a member of his team.  So I will communicate directly to Young Bard about composing music and what not and HE in turn will defer our final propositions/compositions/ideas to you for approval.  Same thing for Scriptwriting.  Appoint someone Director of Script-writing & Screenplay, and anyone who is interested in joining that team will work with the director.  The director will communicate ideas from the group to YOU.  That way there will be authority, efficiency and hopefully continuity.  What do you think of that idea?