Moving picture of Nightblood (With Ferrofluid)

Thunder_93

Hi everyone,

so first of all: I didn't create anything yet, but I'm searching for a long time already a project (not only by drawing, building something). And I finally had an idea, which I think would be really cool looking, and wanted to ask what people here think of it:

So, I recently saw videos of the Ferrolic, a clock showing the time with Ferrofluid (

)

So when I saw it, it really remembered me of the corrupted Investiture which Nightblood exhales.

So my idea: Build a picture frame with 2 Plexiglases, in between Ferrofluid. In the middle of the Frame a Picture (not drawn, cut out of black Plexi) of Nightblood. The Ferrofluid comes out directly behind it, and is with electromagnets randomly drawn to all directions, so it really looks like it's leaking corrupted stormlight. (Yes, they need to be Electromagnets, not only normal ones, as otherwhise it wouldn't be "random" enough, wouldn't look natural.

I estimate the material price (Plexiglas, Electromagnets, Electronic to control said magnets, Ferrofluid) about 200$, as I'd need many magnets, so it really can go in all directions as I want, and as Ferrofluid isn't as cheap, and I'll need... much of it.

So, what do you guys think? Is it worth the effort (and money) to build a "moving picture" like that to place somewhere in my living room? (forgot: for now estimated size: 60x40cm, for Americans 23"x15")

Like i said,  material price,  estimated 200 bucks (and hours for the work :P). And if I'd build more then one and sell it,  I wouldnt want much more.  Not doing it for money,  but fun. 

And for your information: the clock looks great yeah, only problem; limited to 24 pieces,  price over 8000 dollars -_-

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this I can see why you would think of nightblood.

200$ is a lot. It would still be really cool though, if you want to try it.

One thing to note here though... For formless smoke you don't really need to degree of precision we see in that clock (which needs to actually display coherent numbers on demand). You don't necessarily even need to use ferro-fluid... You could theoretically use some kind of nonpolar dye in water and just mix it around... Or even a fog machine (probably better for a mistborn related project unless you can find a way to make it black)... Lots of ways to get a sort of swirling inky effect that might be cheaper that magnets and ferro-fluid.