Help convince a friend

Hello, today a friend asked me to recommend him something to read so i immediatly said Sanderson (specificly The Final Empire) but he´s not sure (partly because of the length). Does anyone have any ideas how to convince him? I don´t want him to live in a sad Sanderson-less world any longer, please help me safe him.

(Right now my plan is to appear at his door with the book and force the book on him. Yes i am serious and it would probably work, but it could be months befor he actually starts it)

Have you considered starting them on something smaller? I recently met someone at a workshop and they said they wanted a new standalone novel to read so gave a short pitch for Elantris, Warbreaker and the Rithmatist. If you can get them hooked on Sanderson book then they might be more likely to read all Sanderson books eh? :) 

I considered it. But i tried Elantris on another friend and he didn´t like it (i also think it´s one of sandersons weaker novels) so i wanted to try a different approach. With Warbreaker the problem ist that i only have the book in english and he complainend about the current book he reads is in english (for the curious it´s Sidejobs by Jim Butcher).

But the idea of a non-cosmere approach didn´t occur to me thank you. Reckoners could be a good place to start (he just finished a more modern fantasy series [Dresden Files])

You could try one of the novellas or short stories... wait until Arcanum unbound comes out and that might entice him to read some of the longer stuff. 

Or try out Emperor's Soul? None of the short stories or Emperor's Soul would really impact their enjoyment of other Cosmere works. I got a friend hooked on Sanderson through TFE, but they really didn't like Elantris when they read it either so I know that one is iffy. Warbreaker is a good one, stand alone, well written, etc. 

Well, I have a few things I would say.

Firat would be to say " When you start this book, and you are hooked within the first 10 chapter for sure, you'll be glad of the length, and will be upset its not longer."

My other argument would be that he doesn't have to read it all in one sitting lol. Personally, I dont like smaller books, because if I do get into it, Im just upset there isnt more. And if I finish the smaller book and and dont instantly want more, than it just wasnt tht good in the first place.

But hey, I dont have any friends lol. So take tht with a grain of magical sand.

14 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

Am I the only one here who liked Elantris more than Mistborn?

Its not realy that I enjoyed Mistborn more, it just gave me more to read than Elantris did lol. But like I said above, once I finished it, I just wanted more. And I didnt even know Emperors Soul was on Sel, and a kind of sequel to Elantris. I think its just that my awareness of the Cosmere itself came upon me during my read of Mistborn, so it has more of a exciting nostalgic feeling for me. Plus I listened to awesome music while reading Mistborn, which I didnt do with Elantris, and tht certainly has an effect. For me at least.

20 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

Am I the only one here who liked Elantris more than Mistborn?

Elantris is a great read but the ending to the original Mistborn trilogy will be something that sticks with me for the rest of my life - oh man it was soooooo good!

21 hours ago, The Ninja Yodeler said:

Well, I have a few things I would say.

Firat would be to say " When you start this book, and you are hooked within the first 10 chapter for sure, you'll be glad of the length, and will be upset its not longer."

My other argument would be that he doesn't have to read it all in one sitting lol. Personally, I dont like smaller books, because if I do get into it, Im just upset there isnt more. And if I finish the smaller book and and dont instantly want more, than it just wasnt tht good in the first place.

But hey, I dont have any friends lol. So take tht with a grain of magical sand.

Or a pinch of copper.

At first, I stayed away from most Sanderson novels because of size. (I thought I wouldn't have time.) Somehow there is always time to read, even when it's not the time to be reading. I regret having delayed reading some Sanderson books. The sooner the better.

I feel like Mistborn is the best to get people into the Cosmere, but if they are iffy, they should start with Steelheart.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats actually how I felt when I first saw WoK. I was like "damnation! Thats a big book", and passed it by. Cover drew me back every tiem though lol. So yeah, once I finished A Memory of Light, I picked up Alloy of Law, and became entranced by Allomancy. Feruchemy escaped me until Hero of Ages (actually I didnt fully understand it until I found the forums and the Coppermind). But yeah, the smaller novellas and Alloy or Steelheart are awesome introductions to Sanderson. I think Alloy is perfect for it, since its short and sweet, and it effectively demonstrates how awesome the magic system is.

When I go about trying to get someone new into the Sanderfandom, I usually start by recommending Steelheart because it's not such a brick as some of his other books, and it's fast-paced and funny, and it puts a fresh twist on the superhero genre, which is VERY popular right now, as I'm sure you all know. Those factors give it a better chance of getting someone hooked on the first try than some of the Cosmere books, IMO.

My brother has been determined to not get into the "nerd stuff" that I obsess about, he's read Alloy of Law and didn't like the lying, stealing Wayne, but has been trying to finish the Reckoners series. Reckoners is a good gateway drug—I mean book. There is nothing addictive about any of Sanderson's books. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Dymphna said:

I got my son WOR and told him he was an air sick low lander. If he wanted to find out what that was, he was going to have to read the book. He is now a Sanderson fan.

Whoa! You started someone on Words of Radiance? Had he already read Way of Kings or did he just dive in to book 2??

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. My brother gave me WoK to read first. I started to read it, and was like "It's so long, what does half of this stuff even mean", and then he realized his mistake, and gave me TFE. I totally recommend giving your friend one of the shorter, maybe non-cosmere works first. The Rithmatist is one of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

If someone is interested in Sanderson I usually give a quick summary of Warbreaker, Mistborn, Steelheart, Rithmatist, and Elantris  and then have them read the first chapter of the ones that they say sound the most interesting.

Note: Emperor's soul and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell are great for getting people hooked.

• Chaos locked this topic