[BoM] Who excissors are

Oversleep

In that thread we started wondering whether Survivor's Spearhead (known - mistakenly - as Bands of Mourning) did contain in its nicrosilminds ability of aluminium Feruchemy and then I had a revelation:
How do you simultaneously store away aluminium (to make unkealed nicrosilmind) and store aluminium Feruchemy in nicrosil to make a medallion giftng aluminium Feruchemy? That's, obviously, impossible.
Since to produce medallions you need to be able to store away Identity on top of other powers (nicrosil Feruchemy + power you want to store) and you can't have a medallion gifting aluminium Feruchemy...

There are two options:

1. Trueselfs - Feruchemists are (probably) non-existant in Southern Scadrial, so that's ruled out;
  2. Hemalurgy;

I say Excissors reuse the spikes which gift aluminium Feruchemy and that's how they can make medallions.

Maybe they have medallions which gift three powers: Nicrosil Compounding + variable power. That way each Excisor can store one power in medallion.

Edited by Oversleep

Hmm... this sounds familiar.

I agree, that I think that Excisors are hemalurgic spikes. The name fits: to "excise" means to cut out (like excise a tumor). Spikes excise parts of the target's sDNA.

This let's you spike in powers, since you can't fit too many in a medallion. I also suspect that they compound to fill medallions (for reasons I've laid out elsewhere), so Excisors could let them combine 5 or 6 powers into a single person

8 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Aluminium also allows you to tap to reset your personality. 

Nicrosil allows you to tap it as other investiture at a very small amount of return. 

So, Nicrosil ferring could potentially do it all on their own, with large quantities of Nicrosil, anyway.

To be honest I don't understand the tapping alluminium part.... you have need to stay with no Identity to  created unkeyed Metalmind. What is the point if you tap Identity ?

In the MAG, tapping aluminium made you more resistant to emotional allomancy and helped you overcome psychological harm. I guess that makes sense, as reinforcing your identity helps resist external influences and (like gold) heals any damage to it (PTSD, stress-induce phobias, that sort of thing).

2 hours ago, randuir said:

In the MAG, tapping aluminium made you more resistant to emotional allomancy and helped you overcome psychological harm. I guess that makes sense, as reinforcing your identity helps resist external influences and (like gold) heals any damage to it (PTSD, stress-induce phobias, that sort of thing).

Yes but... how tapping Identity help you to craft Medallion Tech ? :mellow:

The theory(confirmed, afaik in BoM) is that to be able to craft medallions that anyone can use, you need to be storing identity together with the attribute you want to put in the amulet to create metalminds that are not 'keyed' to one particular person. So the user doesn't need to draw on it, but the creator does need to store it.

Edited by randuir
missing word

8 hours ago, Yata said:

To be honest I don't understand the tapping alluminium part.... you have need to stay with no Identity to  created unkeyed Metalmind. What is the point if you tap Identity ?

In the MAG it lets you tap a large amount of Aluminium to completely reset your identity to blank. Not sure if it'd be unkeyed but blank leads me to think that.

MAG elements are not necessarily canon, especially Spiritual Feruchemy, since Brandon had not given them info on how the powers actually worked. They came up with powers that they thought would make sense (especially Nicrosil Feruchemy, which is a very neat game mechanic to have), but that is being contradicted by how we're seeing those powers actually function in the novels. So, I wouldn't base any canon theories off of how MAG rules work.

• Chaos locked this topic