Epigraph on Radiant special effect

thegatorgirl00

Rereading WoR, I noticed the chapter 55 epigraph. 

The considerable abilities of the Skybreakers for making such amounted to an almost divine skill, for which no specific Surge or spren grants capacity, but however the order came to such an aptitude, the fact of it was real and acknowledged even by their rivals.

From Words of Radiance , chapter 28, page 3

I believe this quote refers to the special effect of the Skybreakers. Unfortunately, the special effect is never actually said. There is another quote from this same page and chapter. 

There came also sixteen of the order of Windrunners, and with them a considerable number of squires, and finding in that place the Skybreakers dividing the innocent from the guilty, there ensued a great debate.

From Words of Radiance , chapter 28, page 3

This epigraph is for the chapter directly before the other one, which leads me to believe that it is before the other quote. Perhaps there are clues to the special effect in these quotes. 

Any thoughts? 

8 hours ago, Alfa said:

Or it is even to separate good from evil. Makes szeth's new sword much more ominous 

I don't think so... Darkness (though possibly different from spren-Skybreakers) seemed to be able to assert that Ym was guilty, but then seemingly spent a long time searching out why he was guilty - and I don't think anyone would agree that Ym was evil. Skybreakers seem to care about the letter of the law. Nightblood makes his own judgements of what evil is, without regard for laws.

15 hours ago, Argent said:

I think I've seen theories about the Skybreakers being able to see innocence/guilt, or something to that effect.

That would certainly explain why Nale would be so excited about unleashing Nightblood.  It struck me as a little absurd that a fanatic for the law would possess a weapon that has previously been known to encourage and prod its owner to kill strangers without concern for their guilt.  If Skybreakers have a legitimate way of identifying guilt or evil then Nightblood could effectively transformed from a sadistic killing machine to a well-regulated tool of "justice."

17 hours ago, Landis963 said:

We know that Aon Kii has a visible effect on the guilty (by WoB), so the obvious assumption to make is that the same mechanic is in play here.  

The quote says an almost divine skill. I suspect that a visible effect on the guilty would be considered divine. 

It also says making. I suppose this could mean making judgements, but the wording leads me to think otherwise. 

5 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

The quote says an almost divine skill. I suspect that a visible effect on the guilty would be considered divine. 

It also says making. I suppose this could mean making judgements, but the wording leads me to think otherwise. 

The WoB I'm thinking of says that Aon Kii causes the guilty to feel pain.  Skybreakers probably don't have the effect, but probably do leverage the same Connections that Aon Kii does.  

On June 15, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Alfa said:

Or it is even to separate good from evil. Makes szeth's new sword much more ominous 

This actually made me shiver a little bit.  Isn't Nightblood's biggest fault that he doesn't know good from evil?  So wouldn't a Skybreaker give him the framework he requires?

• Chaos locked this topic