The Limitations of Soul Forgery

This is mostly just a bunch of speculation about the possible ways forgery works.

But basically, the question is, when forging something, what qualifies as a single object?

What if you had a box with something inside of it. If you soul stamped the box, could you alter the contents?

Or what if one of the heritage faction's forged vases had it's handle broken off. Would the forgery come undone? The vases state in to pieces is certainly believable since you saw it break...

Or what if there were too completely different objects, but you really strongly associated them together? Could you soul stamp one and effect both?

What counts as a "single object" is a bit arbitrary given that any given object is just a bunch of atoms stuck together and the unity of a given material is relative (for example a table which Shai forged was probably made out of different pieces of wood).

And if you could place your soul stamp onto one thing and effect a different object... This makes soul forgery a lot more powerful. Forging two "objects" with one stamp would probably be extremely difficult, since you would have to view them as a single object... But again, what constitutes a single object is sort of a blurry line, so the potential is still significant.

In "Mistborn: Secret History" some hints are give as to how this might work (yeah, I know, odd to find it there). Given that this could technically qualify as a spoiler, I'll put the explanation as I understand it in spoiler tags, but it doesn't really touch on the story of that book, so it should be fine for people who haven't read the book yet to read. 

Spoiler

All objects have an "identity", a belief of what they are (or how they are perceived by humans). As I understand it, Forging objects involves changing the belief of the object. So breaking a forged object (as long as the stamp remains intact) would not immediately result in the object reverting to it's original shape. 

Following this theory, something would be a single object if enough people viewed it as a single object. In this way, a ship, bridge or table might be a single object, but most people would see a box and it's contents as different things. However, if two objects are intrinsically linked in the perception of the humans around it (say, a bottle of wine) it might be possible to affect one by stamping the other (making the wine go sour by stamping the bottle).

Given that the "identity" of objects seems to be mostly influenced by the perception o f all observers, it probably wouldn't be possible to make two objects one by just believing that they are, but if you could convince everyone that two objects are one, that might work.

Edited by randuir

• Chaos locked this topic