Chapter 60, the way of kings, epigraph

Hello people! I don't know if this has already been discussed, so apologies if the post is repetitive. Anyway, this is the epigraph of chapter  way of kings. 

"The life is my death, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended" 

Now, I read somewhere that Brandon gave clues to the ends of stormlight in epigraphs of way of kings, and this one seems pretty important to me.  This feels like something Kaladin would say. He is the only one that gave a serious thought to the first oath, we are not shown dalinar and shallan thinking a lot about it. This could be something Kaladin would say, or happen to Kaladin at the very end of arc 1 of stormlight. 

The life is my death : We know kaladin easily goes to depression, and when he is depressed, when he is the wretch, this is how he would feel. I imagine some one important, very close to Kaladin is going to die - I don't know. Rock, teft, shallan... There are many choices. 

The strength becomes my weakness: Now, this I can't say. I imagine that by the end of arc 1 some champion has to face odium. ( I think odium is going to be freed by the end of this arc) May be odium has counters to stormlight based magics? I don't know much about this. 

The journey has ended:  I think this is pretty straight forward. Kaladin is going to die. Or I think he is going to sacrifice himself in the grief of his loved one's death. 

I know this is just a theory, and there is nothing whats so ever proofs to this theory, but I think this quote suits to Kaladin. And that Kaladin is going to die. 

What do you guys think?

Dated Betabanes, 1173, 95 seconds pre-death. Subject: A scholar of some minor renown. Sample collected secondhand. Considered questionable.

It's considered questionable. I take it that the scholar knew the Immortal Words (cause scholars kind of know things) and did a twist on it to be their dying words.

Also, it's secondhand.

Edited by Oversleep

I can see several characters this quote could apply to, not just Kaladin. In fact, applying it to Kaladin is a over-doing it slightly... He isn't the only character in the story and not every climaxes have to be his own. Therefore, if this comes into play, I'd rather read it from another character perspective: it might apply brilliantly to Dalinar, for instance. Or Szeth. Or Eshonai. 

As for Kaladin sacrificing himself in grief is just plain wrong: he has been there, he has chosen another path. To have him cry over the death of someone else to the point where he does something stupid simply does not fit his character arc nor his personality. I could see other characters falling for it, but not Kaladin.

Sorry, but it does not work out for me. Others may have a different perspective. 

I posted about this specific Rattle before. In fact, there is a link to it in my signature. I personally believe it is actually a prediction of Szeth's downfall:

"Death is my life": after becoming a Truthless, his life was one of killing and waiting to be killed in turn.

"Strength becomes my weakness": his loyalty to his principles and his people's laws was one of his greatest virtues, and was turned against him.

"The journey has ended." He dies. Sort of. Rogue semi-divine immortals have an habit of messing with prophecies.

It's actually a twist on the Executioner DLC from The Evil Within.

After the last 5 books of the series, Brandon will release 3 or so books from the PoV of an evil character in the series.

On a serious note, I personally think it may be related to Sja-Anat, the unmade who (presumably) corrupts spren.  Maybe she can infect bonded spren to corrupt their radiants, causing them to invert their oaths?

• Chaos locked this topic