mastery at a range?

Citadel16

Oky so in the manuscript, Kenton had to touch the sand in order to control it. but in the released clip from the graphic novel (however squished it may look):

w1aqplqcs921ail4vd0m.png

it seems like the sand is coming TO him. I understand that the prose isn't canon and the magic system might have changed, I just wondered if any one else noticed the change or am I just a blind wacko?

Edited by WarriorMark16

I rememeber that Kenton have to touch the Sand to Mastered it.

Others Sand Masters (more powerful than him) may Mastered Sand without touch ( I rememeber some Mastrell did it)... but in the end they may "fake" it... For example probably I don't think you have to touch Sand with your hands alone. If you are outside and the sand touch your skin on the leg or feet you may probably still Master (maybe it's a bit harder to perform mastery with different part of the body).

It isn't too strange for a Sand Master to have some hole in their shoes to have quite always skin contact with the Sand I presume.

Instead I will find a Sand Master pretty dumb to don't take this kind of precautions.

I recall Kenton mentioning that he could feel the power in the sand around him, but he did not have the power to access it. This leads me to believe that range mastery is possible. As for the picture it is possible that one can call more sand to them when they already have a stream active. That's what the picture looks like to me.

So in that scene, he drops sand that he already touched and mastered, that he sends to the ground. When it hits the ground, he uses his sand to gather mass from the surrounding sand to send it up and catch him. Also there is a scene where Praxton summons sand to himself from a distance. To clarify when I state distance I mean without touching/holding sand in his hands (just started rereading so looking forward to what I will discover as I go through it again). The quotes are below:

White Sand Page 12

With an explosion of light, the sand changed from bone white to shimmering mother of pearl. Kenton opened his hand as he fell, commanding the sand to move. It shot forward, forming into a ribbon of light that extended from his palm toward the quickly approaching dunes below. When the sand had reached the ground, he commanded it to gather mass from the dunes below and move back up. A second later there was a shimmering line of mastered sand extending from Kenton to the ground. He was still falling, but as he commanded the sand to push, his descent slowed. 

White Sand Page 16

Eventually, Praxton raised his hands, summoning a dozen strings of sand from the floor below

New post with new info:

Page 289

"never mind, I'm coming back up!" Kenton called, reaching for his sand pouch. He paused, however. Powerful sand masters didn't need to be touching sand to call it to life. It was one of the abilities Kenton had always wished he possessed.