Returned giving away their Breath

xxcyv

At the end of the book we see two Returned giving away their Breath. The first one is Lightsang who sacrifices himself to heal Susebron. As expected he died because of that. But as Vasher is fighting against Denth he only wins because he gives his Breath to him. Why didn't die Vascher like Lightsang? They are both Returned so giving away his Breath should have killed Vasher too, right?

I'm sorry if this was discussed before. I just finished the book and the search gave me no results.

Edited by xxcyv

It's because Lightsong gave away his Divine Breath, what Vasher gave away was a collection of Breaths he had stored on top of his Divine Breath.

I think they both used the same command. So how could Vasher keep his Divine Breath while Lightsong lost his?

Also, Vasher's Divine Breath was "hidden", so it couldn't been given away without first "revealing" it.

Ok, how do I have to understand that? ^^"

I think they both used the same command. So how could Vasher keep his Divine Breath while Lightsong lost his?

Ok, how do I have to understand that? ^^"

It's because of the difference between Divine and ordinary breaths, and also Vashers experience as an Awakener. He's pretty much the most skilled in the cosmere as far as we know.

JEREMY_CARROLL
How could Vasher become Drab, since he would have to give up his Big Breath to do so?
BRANDON SANDERSON

The Divine Breath can be hid. Essentially, you have to view yourself NOT as a god at all, using a very specific bit of mental gymnastics. As a Returned, your body changes based on how you see yourself. (This, by the way, is an indication that Lightsong was more pleased with himself than he ever let on.)

You don't lose your Divine Breath, but it does go into hiding, making you look like a normal person. But you're still Returned, and are consuming a Breath at one a week. If you give away your other Breaths, you retain this hidden one, but your body will still consume its own spirit if left to do so. So you still need a Breath a week to survive, and will die the week you don't get one.

There was a WOB about it (I can't cite because for some reason I can't acess the Database), but a Returned can "hide" his or her Breath by neglecting all of his or her divine, and thinking about themself as a regular person. That changes some of their apperance and their Aura, but it does not make them absolutely "normal" - they still don't need to eat, and need one breath per week.

• Chaos locked this topic