Mini-Theory of the Week - Odium

Blightsong

In Secret History we are introduced to the idea that the more connected or 'in tune' you are with a shard the more control you have over its powers. My idea is that Rayse, being such a good match with Odium, has more control, and thus better ability with his shard than the others and this is part of why he is able to take shards down by himself in the way that he does.

Relevant quote:

INTERVIEW: Mar 5th, 2014

WoR Signing Report - ericth (Paraphrased)

ERICTH

What is Odium's edge. Vin and Ati killed each other but Rayse has downed 3 shards and survived. Was it skill, ability, numbers or possibly un-dispersed power?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Some combination of the above.

TAGS

odium, shards,

This is why I think it is only a piece of why he is able to do what he does, although I think this is a part of it.

Edited by Blightsong

I don't think "control" is quite the right word. I think over time the intent overwhelms/corrupts the vessel. So e.g. Rayse will become more hateful over time and lose other aspects including rationale thought, eventually becoming pure hatred. "Influence" may be a better term. I suspect that Rayse could have wreaked more havoc with Ruin but his influence over the shard would diminish faster. Of course, if I'm right, then the theory is that the power is too much for any mortal to handle long term. Though that also implies that intents that are not all-consuming could leave some portion of the vessel intact. Autononmy (loner) and Harmony (zen monk) come to mind. Maybe cultivation. Survival possibly, but that one could turn into paranoia and psychopathy.

Harmony is interesting, because we have Ruin and Preservation that taken to extremes are unhealthy for sure. But Harmony is a step up -- the Buddhist monk seeking enlightenment, the balance in nature, etc. There is an implied "one cannot be complete without all the shards", which fits given that shards are all pieces of one being.

Side note: should this be in the Cosmere forum?

Yeah that sounds like a solid theory. Rayse was apparently already an awful person before taking up Odium, whereas Ati was a good person. 

However, I'd wonder how much difference that would even make. Surely Leras would have been at least slightly more connected to Preservation than Ati was to Ruin? Then why were they so perfectly equal?

I think all of the shards will eventually overwhelm their respective vessels, so it's more a question of how much and for how long the vessel can influence the shard (making "control" a misnomer).

The amount of Connection one has to a Shard is relevant when you take the Shard. Over time, there forms more and more Connection to the Shard, and perhaps less to other Shards. This alters the Vessel's Spiritweb, making them more like the Shard even if they let it go. Vin and Kelsier didn't hold the Shard for very long.

• Chaos locked this topic