That One Storm

Well, they do get their power from Honor...

And it's been said that the Shard's Intent determines how to get the Investiture, if not specifically how it can be used.

So, Shallan must be acting honorably, else she couldn't access Stormlight.

And it's been said that the Shard's Intent determines how to get the Investiture, if not specifically how it can be used.

Actually, Surgebinding appears to come from both Honor and Cultivation, with specialties from each. Shallan cultivates, Kaladin and Dalinar are honorable. I think their means of accessing the power is different.

jW

What Jon said, also, this isn't a safe assumption to make.

Mistborn

Remember, the only way Allomancy is "of Preservation" is that the power comes from Preservation, so you're "preserving" your own strength by relying on the foreign power. And Spook showed us that even then, the power can damage you if you use it too much. Very little preservation was used in the fundamentals of allomancy.

So even if there has to be some honor to Shallan's powers, it could be incredibly tangential. According to Syl, an honorspren, honor on Roshar is about oaths, about binding things. Shallan's bond to Pattern, then, might be all that is required. They are bound, bindings are honorable, here is power. There's no precedent I know of to suggest that Shallan herself must act with honor.

When Kaladin tried to use his powers to fight simply to defeat his opponent, he couldn't do it. When he began conspiring to kill Elhokar, he experiences a similar power drain.

With the Knights Radiant, due to the nature of how they get their powers, they must be honorable, more than Mistborn must preserve, or Awakeners Endow, or Elantrians love.

Sanderson developed this system so it was based on people's actions.

When Kaladin tried to use his powers to fight simply to defeat his opponent, he couldn't do it. When he began conspiring to kill Elhokar, he experiences a similar power drain.

With the Knights Radiant, due to the nature of how they get their powers, they must be honorable, more than Mistborn must preserve, or Awakeners Endow, or Elantrians love.

Sanderson developed this system so it was based on people's actions.

I think Kaladin's situation comes from bonding an honorspren, but Shallan bonded a liespren (cryptic, whatever) so she's different.

It is still blurry how Shallan exactly lost his powers. Possibly by blocking the Truth from her mind, refusing to acknowledge what happened, hiding in her sketches and drawings.

In her flashbacks and normal viewpoints we can see that if she thinks about something traumatic, something that is very big to her, she forced herself to think about something else. That is murdering her own father and mother, and Pattern called these things powerful Truths.

I should add that instead that the system is based on the Knight's actions. It is based on their emotional state.

Each time Kaladin because furious with revenge against Amaram and Elhokar, he changed inside and that's how he lost his bond anyway. Syl warned him, it's not about his actions, but more about what is changing inside of him.

Shallan too, changed inside of her, forcing herself not to think about anything related to the 'blinding light in the strongbox' and etc.

In the end, I believe it is about changing yourself, your emotional state, against what is important to the order or something in the lines. It's hard for me to describe it, since English is not my native language.

My headcanon is that Windrunners are about protecting. Wanted to murder Amaram and working with the conspirators to kill Elokhar. It's not the emotion but the intent. And the problem for Shallan was becoming too lost in the lie. So it's about figuring out what they actually believe in.

• Chaos locked this topic