something extra

taveren

towards the end of the book dalinar started showing signs he was becoming a radiant like when the shardblade felt wrong and i noticed he seemed to be able to tell when people were telling the truth so i thought maybe that was a bondsmith ability like windrunners are naturally better fighters and lightweavers are great artists

yes but the point of this isn't that he might become a radiant it was that bondsmiths got the extra ability of being able to tell when people are lying

also did the honor blade make sezth a better fighter like syl with kal or is it somehow diferant

I personally don't think Syl makes Kal a better fighter - the inherent nature of Kal that draws Syl to him and allows him to be a Windrunner makes him a better fighter (I think Syl implies this with her cryptic comment about how she was both with Kal and not with him when he was learning the spear and he had a natural affinity from the first time he used a quarter-staff). It's hard to know without knowing how long ago Shallan had her perfect drawing recall, in my opinion.

But, yeah, I can buy that Dalinar might be able to tell when someone is lying to him in the same way that Shallan can draw

kal and syl talk about about it a bit when he says it was cheating that he was so good because of the bond and he comments on it after he broke the bond and tried to use the spear. although at the time he was hurt so  its hard to say how much of a difference it made

You are correct, Pathfinder. It's a chapter header, for chapter 55, and quoted from the in-world book Words of Radiance.

The considerable abilities of the Skybreakers for making such amounted to an almost divine skill, for which no specific Surge or spren grants capacity, but however the order came to such an aptitude, the fact of it was real and acknowledged even by their rivals.

I thought it was hinted through the book that the Skybreakers are the order that have the canny ability to filter innocent from the guilty

You are correct, Pathfinder. It's a chapter header, for chapter 55, and quoted from the in-world book Words of Radiance.

The considerable abilities of the Skybreakers for making such amounted to an almost divine skill, for which no specific Surge or spren grants capacity, but however the order came to such an aptitude, the fact of it was real and acknowledged even by their rivals.

How does that quote show that the Skybreakers could identify lies? It shows that they were inordinately skilled at something, but I don't remember any indication of what they were good at.

How does that quote show that the Skybreakers could identify lies? It shows that they were inordinately skilled at something, but I don't remember any indication of what they were good at.

Well, Nale DID seem to have an unnatural skill at finding guilty surgebinders. If that's him being a Skybreaker, or just being extremely experienced... Who knows.

I'm sure he finds surgebinders first, then figures out through investigation whether there is any crime on record by that surgebinder he can somehow spin into a death sentence executable on-site.

Law is just a formality, really. What a terrible Skybreaker patron.

The Skybreakers are skilled at 'Separating the Innocent from the Guilty' - which while tangentially related to lies, is not an ability to sense lies. 

Barring a person being present during the actual crime committed, you have to work with physical evidence and witness testimony. It the quote was referring to physical evidence, then why would they be exceptional regarding it vs just about anyone else around with the same means available? So I believe the implication is regarding witness testimony and weeding out who lies and who tells the truth to determine who is innocent and who is guilty. 

Edited by Pathfinder

But if the only confirmation of Guilt is them being found guilty by the court, then by definition there is a bias that implies the Skybreakers are adept at sorting the innocent from the guilty. The Inquisition (Spanish, though Steel fits too probably) were "good" at this too. Because they decided who was guilty!

But if the only confirmation of Guilt is them being found guilty by the court, then by definition there is a bias that implies the Skybreakers are adept at sorting the innocent from the guilty. The Inquisition (Spanish, though Steel fits too probably) were "good" at this too. Because they decided who was guilty!

I am.....confused.....lol. The quote was in regards to a book that gave broad descriptions of the radiants of old. My point was based on that quote it was more likely that the skybreakers would be the ones that could tell lies from the truths. I never said physical evidence would not come into play at all, just that such a comment would not make sense in my mind to refer to physical evidence. Finding out who is guilty with physical evidence, when anyone would have access to the same level of technology does not seem like something fantastical unique only to one order. You could say maybe they were all amazing detectives like batman. But that still involves being able to read people to know when someone is misleading you and knowing when to suspect someone. Of course they could point the finger at who ever they want, and say guilty but that would breed fear. The quote makes it sound like when they state someone is guilty, it is 9 times out of 10 right, hence the "canny" comment. Also does not sound very honorable to me to declare someone guilty who is innocent like the Spanish Inquisition just to enforce their own power. Wouldn't they lose their powers? Nale is an entirely other story lol

Yes, a Skybreaker lying in court will likely lose their powers immediately, I'd reckon. It's honorable in it's own way, and they swore to it.

Nalan seems to be the same, really, by personal obligation, but I feel he's abandoned the "spirit" of the law completely.

For all we know, Skybreakers just have the ability to detect feelings of guilt. I'm pretty sure there's an aon that could.

For all we know, Skybreakers just have the ability to detect feelings of guilt. I'm pretty sure there's an aon that could.

Actually I feel like that really rings true. Would make sense why windrunners and skybreakers have such issues with each other. Everyone after all is guilty of something.

Edited by Pathfinder

• Chaos locked this topic