7 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

Yes. How about we have a limit to the powers he mimic, like say 5 or 10?

As far as the shapeshifting goes that doesn't sound too bad then.
For one even 5 powers is still a pretty big number, if all of them can be high tier and second the fact that he's dependant on other Epics for his powers to work would probably put him in a situation barely better than Conflux's.

1 minute ago, Edgedancer said:

As far as the shapeshifting goes that doesn't sound too bad then.
For one even 5 powers is still a pretty big number, if all of them can be high tier and second the fact that he's dependant on other Epics for his powers to work would probably put him in a situation barely better than Conflux's.

Yes, but with his shapeshifting ability, he wouldn't really be able to be captured. That is a powerful enough ability on its own I think.

2 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

Yes, but with his shapeshifting ability, he wouldn't really be able to be captured. That is a powerful enough ability on its own I think.

Eh, requiring enough space for his brain means that a door can stop him just fine and he can still be killed by fire, suffocation (be it imprisionment in an airtight room or drowning), acid, poison (which includes sedating him), bludegons with a large enough surface and explosions just to name a few from the top of my head.

1 minute ago, Edgedancer said:

Eh, requiring enough space for his brain means that a door can stop him just fine and he can still be killed by fire, suffocation (be it imprisionment in an airtight room or drowning), acid, poison (which includes sedating him), bludegons with a large enough surface and explosions just to name a few from the top of my head.

Ya, I guess I see what you mean. Any ideas for his own more aggressive ability?

11 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

Ya, I guess I see what you mean. Any ideas for his own more aggressive ability?

Personally I can't think of a way to make it work. Meta abilities are a pretty tight walk, especially seeing the emotional baggage that comes with them in the Reckonervese. Giving something that actually allows to accumulate power on top of a powerset that allows an Epic to stand on his own against advances of other Epics is pretty much impossible to balance in the RP format, at least if the character needs to be fit into an already established setting.

Ironically, giving the limitation of needing anohter Epic's consent makes the power more problematic. What might work better is removing that limitation and instead making it so that he can only have a very small power pool and possibly downpowering them when compared to the original as well.

Edited by Edgedancer

Just now, Edgedancer said:

Personally I can't think of a way to make it work. Meta abilities are a pretty tight walk, especially seeing the emotional baggage that comes with them in the Reckonervese. Giving something that actually allows to accumulate power on top of a powerset that allows an Epic to stand on his own against advances of other Epics is pretty much impossible to balance in the RP format, at least if the character needs to be fit into an already established setting.

Ironically, giving the limitation of needing anohter Epic's consent makes the power more problematic. What might work better is removing that limitation and instea making it so that he can only have a very small power pool and possibly downpowering them when compared to the original as well.

How about he can borrow one ability at a time, but he has to touch the Epic whose Power he wants to borrow It from. I would also probably remove the permission thing.

49 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

How about he can borrow one ability at a time, but he has to touch the Epic whose Power he wants to borrow It from. I would also probably remove the permission thing.

Maybe. I suppose the exact balancing would depend on where we put him.

39 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Maybe. I suppose the exact balancing would depend on where we put him.

What could make things really interesting would be to make him require relative proximity to keep the power. In that scenario, it would either be consensual with the other Epic, or lead to outright violence.

23 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

With that power set, where would he fit? @Edgedancer

At this point, it could be tweaked to fit almost anywhere. Salem is focused on arena fights, though there's some intrigue beginning there; Corvallis is a political thriller/zombie apocalypse thread; Astoria is home to multiple powerful High Epics who are now being attacked while Queen Lucentia is in Portland. So I say decide what sounds like the sort of game you want to play and then fit your character accordingly. 

How's this:

Epic Name: Borrower

Actual Name: Adam South

Appearance: Varied, but white with brown hair

Primary Power: Can mimic powers of Epics within 100 feet, but has to touch them to began mimicking 

Secondary Power: Can shapeshift without limits, but his mass will remain constant while shapeshifting and he has to have a compartment big enough for his brain. This encourages him to gain as much weight as possible.

Personality: Supremely confident, someone who can lead others without qualms. Rather impulsive, but sees this as a weakness and over compensates. Intelligent with an IQ of 142.

If he can copy powers with his touch, does that mean he can detect an Epic by touch?

I wonder why do you specify his IQ so precisely... is it a hint towards his weakness? :ph34r:

I like this new version :)

23 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

If he can copy powers with his touch, does that mean he can detect an Epic by touch?

I wonder why do you specify his IQ so precisely... is it a hint towards his weakness? :ph34r:

I like this new version :)

Yes, and... Maybe:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

As an elementary schooler, a psychologist gave me an IQ test which resulted in a general score of 144 points. I know that I'm smarter than the average bear, both through experience and numbers. However, I'd still be very hesitant to write for a "highly intelligent" character because it is far too easy to simply claim they're smart without displaying it in a believable way. No matter how smart someone is, it's far easier to think intelligently in real life than it is to translate one's own intelligence into a fictional construct. I really don't think writing for an Epic who is almost 3 standard deviations away from the mean IQ is a good idea. Besides, there are plenty of other ways to make them an engaging character. ^_^

Just to make sure all of you know, I'm not one of those people who goes out of their way to mention IQ. I see that as pretentious, rude behavior that is simply indicative of insecurity — not something that I want to do. -_-

Personally, that is where I generally score on IQ tests, and it might pertain to the weakness I have created. I can see your point of view though.

12 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

A new post is up in the Dalles, about a side character who Twi introduced in the flashback portion of this fantastic post. Thank you to her for Koschei's dialogue. :D

@Kobold King, do you think that Backtrack post will be up anytime soon? It's been nearly three months. I can find stuff to do if not, of course. :)

'Twas an excellent post, by the way. 

Also, I saw your new signature. :ph34r: 

1 hour ago, antgrgmn said:

I think I might put my guy in Astoria. Would that work? @Edgedancer

Fine by me. Already any idea how you want to integrate him into the city?
Also, now that we seem to have settled his powers, we'd also like a writting sample of him using his powers and the like.

Here is a writing sample:

Spoiler

The Borrower walked into the small, meandering town. He failed to see why it was even still here; the most logical reason was that no one cared enough to take it out. The vanillas seemed almost happy. He even saw a couple of children playing what looked like tag. He had heard that there was an Epic ruling this town, but hadn't heard much else about it. Well, I guess the best way to lure out this Epic will be to take away the things he seems to love, he thought. He walked over to the nearest male vanilla, and shifted a band of muscle over his neck. Slowly, he contracted, squeezing until the vanilla stopped struggling. He tossed aside the corpse, while the other vanillas scurried away. He walked out to the middle of the road just in time to see a person come down from the sky, landing nimbly in front of him. 
   "I am Airdeath, protecter of this town. Who dares to disturb the peace!" the Epic said, obviously trying to look intimidating, slashing at the ground with what appeared to be knives of air.
   "I am the Borrower. Did you not recognize me?" He said, while walking towards the air Epic.
   "The Borrower? I'll have to say that I've never even heard of you." Airdeath said.
   The Borrower, now mere inches from the Epic leaned forward, and placed a hand on the Epic's shoulder. "Soon, there will not be a soul in the Fractured States who hasn't," the Borrower whispered. He then took a step back, and used blades of air to cut off the pompous air Epic's head. It rolled to the ground, and the Borrower re-began his trek towards Astoria.

Edited by antgrgmn
Added spoiler box

2 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

PS how do you do the hidden content thing?

Click on the eye icon in the editor, that will insert a spoiler box in your post that you can fill. It will be displayed hidden by default once you post.

Here is a writing sample:

Reveal hidden contents

The Borrower walked into the small, meandering town. He failed to see why it was even still here; the most logical reason was that no one cared enough to take it out. The vanillas seemed almost happy. He even saw a couple of children playing what looked like tag. He had heard that there was an Epic ruling this town, but hadn't heard much else about it. Well, I guess the best way to lure out this Epic will be to take away the things he seems to love, he thought. He walked over to the nearest male vanilla, and shifted a band of muscle over his neck. Slowly, he contracted, squeezing until the vanilla stopped struggling. He tossed aside the corpse, while the other vanillas scurried away. He walked out to the middle of the road just in time to see a person come down from the sky, landing nimbly in front of him. 
   "I am Airdeath, protecter of this town. Who dares to disturb the peace!" the Epic said, obviously trying to look intimidating.
   "I am the Borrower. Did you not recognize me?" He said, while walking towards the air Epic.
   "The Borrower? I'll have to say that I've never even heard of you." Airdeath said.
   The Borrower, now mere inches from the Epic leaned forward, and placed a hand on the Epic's shoulder. "Soon, there will not be a soul in the Fractured States who hasn't," the Borrower whispered. He then took a step back, and used blades of air to cut off the pompous air Epic's head. It rolled to the ground, and the Borrower re-began his trek towards Astoria.

Good. Although, it did cause me to wonder how he knows which power to take from an Epic he barely knows anything about

Also @Edgedancer I was thinking I would meet up with The Adventure and Lockvault, and possibly team up with them.

Well Voidus, the player in charge of them, currently only has rather limited access to the Shard, so that may not be the best timing right now. Of course he'll have to give his own okay for having your characters team up.

So...hi guys.

I'm very sorry about my absence. I wish I could say it was due to amazing things happening in my life, but if I'm honest that's not the case, unfortunately. 

Spoiler

So, my mom got out of the hospital all right, no worries there thankfully. Then my job got completely revamped as a coworker left the company. This revamp brought the very likely possibility of a promising promotion. So I spent a ton of time trying to get that. This included a business trip for a week to beautiful Colorado Springs, specifically Garden of the Gods Resort.

I didn't get the promotion.

To top that off, I had surgery and have been recovering from that as well. Luckily, all is good, and hopefully I'm back.

So yeah, I'm going to do my best to get caught up quickly (as in, today), and hopefully I can just jump right back in. Let me know if anything super important happened I need to be aware of.

Edited by Blaze1616