A thread of video games

Zathoth

(Disclaimers: I know we have the "What are you playing right now" thread, and while that does get some discussions sometimes it is just for telling people what you have been playing lately. I did a search for a thread like this, found nothing, probably didnt look enough)

Anyway, video games. This is a video game thread. It is a kind of out dated term, as it is not really video based anymore, if it has ever been... not that TV games is a better term...

Tangents!

So, topics, what are you playing? Favorite games? Games you look forward too? Things you are disappointing by?

I myself was going to buy Pokemon Yellow on the 3DS, but the generation 1 games costs twice as much as gameboy games usually does. Hahaha. No, not paying that much, sorry nintendo. I should probably get myself Megaman Legacy Collection though. I like platformers.

On the topic of Pokemon, I've been meaning to finish Omega Ruby for awhile now. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to it yet. Anybody excited for Pokemon Sun and Moon? Not including Omega Ruby, I actually haven't played and games after Gen 3, but this one, for whatever reason, has piqued my interest. 

I also just bought the Fallout 4 season pass. For those still thinking about doing so, do it soon, because on March 1st the price for it is going up. I'm looking forward to the Far Harbor DLC, which I believe will be released sometime in April/May. 

Since I was just talking about it on the Random Stuff threat, Undertale. It's one of the best games I've played in ages, with about the best video game ending I've seen. Highly recommended.

(Way off topic, but Patar, is your avatar Johan? Because I'm getting horrifying flashbacks every time I see it. :P)

On the topic of Pokemon, I've been meaning to finish Omega Ruby for awhile now. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to it yet. Anybody excited for Pokemon Sun and Moon? Not including Omega Ruby, I actually haven't played and games after Gen 3, but this one, for whatever reason, has piqued my interest. 

I also just bought the Fallout 4 season pass. For those still thinking about doing so, do it soon, because on March 1st the price for it is going up. I'm looking forward to the Far Harbor DLC, which I believe will be released sometime in April/May. 

I'll probably get the one with the coolest legendary. I liked X, it was way too easy, but I liked the adventure.

Since I was just talking about it on the Random Stuff threat, Undertale. It's one of the best games I've played in ages, with about the best video game ending I've seen. Highly recommended.

(Way off topic, but Patar, is your avatar Johan? Because I'm getting horrifying flashbacks every time I see it. :P)

As I may as well repeat myself XD

1. Play Earthbound and Mother 3

2. I got stuck at Fabulous Metatron, but I shall finish it some day when I feel like it.

(Because Johan is like the best villain ever?)

It is indeed.

Has anybody here played Bastion? It's topdown, hectic, and has a surprisingly emotional story as everything you do is narrated by the best voice since Cecil Baldwin. :) 

(I half want a thread just for Monster so I can rant about it. Friggin Red Rose Mansion messing me up inside...)

Has anybody here played Bastion? It's topdown, hectic, and has a surprisingly emotional story as everything you do is narrated by the best voice since Cecil Baldwin. :)

(I half want a thread just for Monster so I can rant about it. Friggin Red Rose Mansion messing me up inside...)

I wouldn't be against this. I just finished it the other day, and I'm still thinking about the ending.

That it was.

But that was a couple years ago... since then I've pretty much have only played Monster Hunter 4. One does not really need much else :)

I never got into Monster Hunter, I blame the load times and lack of targeting, not that I ever gave the games a real chance XD

To quickly comment on the difficulty of Gen VI Pokemon, there's actually a "Hard mode" in the game if you want it, and you can always turn off the EXP Share to increase the difficulty as well, plus the obvious mode change to Set instead of Switch. The game was only crazy easy if you let it be.

Note: Hard mode is in quotations because the difficulty isn't drastically harder, but the AI tends to be smarter. It is an actual option though, and not something like a Nuzlock challenge.

Edit 2: Looking further into it, I was wrong. Hard mode was in Gen V.5, and not Gen VI. My apologies. Still, though, turning the EXP Share off is a drastic difficulty increase.

Edited by Blaze1616

My Sylveon pretty much carried the game.

Keep in mind you can steamroll all of the Pokemon games if you put everything into a single Pokemon. Some games (particularly the older ones) would even accommodate two or three. 

But the levels of broken of the Fairy type isn't much debatable, so you picked well with Sylveon.

I think the idea is good. Add a weakness to a type that really needs another weakness and add strengths to two types that really needs it.

Problem is of course that there is a lack of good Steel and Poison types and Dark didnt really need another weakness (Disclaimer, Dark is my favorite type, I am very biased)

Ok, Sableye did need a weakness too, but still... could have made Fairy super effective against Ghost and have Dark be another weakness of Fairy. I think that would have been more balanced. Ghost is only weak against itself and Dark. It is in much more need of another weakness than Dark.

You know what needs another weakness? Electricity.

Edited by Morzathoth

I'm not sure if we should turn this into a Pokemon discussion, but I'm always happy discussing it. 

When Fairy was made, in addition to attempting to balance the strongest type and two of the weakest, they were also trying to fill the type that is most asked for: Light. Don't ask me why Light type is the most asked for, but it's been requested constantly ever since Gen II brought us Dark (which in Japanese is literally called "Evil"). Now, you can't just have Evil beat Light, or even tie Light, so it was only natural for Fairy to be super effective against Dark, regardless of whether Dark needed another weakness or not.

I'm still, to this day, surprised they gave Steel the advantage over Fairy. Steel is the troll type (have you seen those pre-Gen VI resistances), so to give it some heavy offensive power was shocking to me. Poison definitely needed it though. 

I also don't think Electric needs another weakness. It's not a particularly good type to begin with, plus it's lacking in good Pokemon both offensively AND defensively, and it suffers from having one of the most common types ever be completely immune to it on top of super effective. Not to mention the single most popular move in the game, Earthquake, is of said type. It's a weak type that doesn't see much use, and works much better as a non-STAB add on to non-Electric Pokemon. I mean, the only heavily used Electrics are Legendaries or Rotom, and you can't really include Legendaries in these kinds of discussions if you ask me.

I'm not sure if we should turn this into a Pokemon discussion, but I'm always happy discussing it. 

When Fairy was made, in addition to attempting to balance the strongest type and two of the weakest, they were also trying to fill the type that is most asked for: Light. Don't ask me why Light type is the most asked for, but it's been requested constantly ever since Gen II brought us Dark (which in Japanese is literally called "Evil"). Now, you can't just have Evil beat Light, or even tie Light, so it was only natural for Fairy to be super effective against Dark, regardless of whether Dark needed another weakness or not.

I'm still, to this day, surprised they gave Steel the advantage over Fairy. Steel is the troll type (have you seen those pre-Gen VI resistances), so to give it some heavy offensive power was shocking to me. Poison definitely needed it though. 

I also don't think Electric needs another weakness. It's not a particularly good type to begin with, plus it's lacking in good Pokemon both offensively AND defensively, and it suffers from having one of the most common types ever be completely immune to it on top of super effective. Not to mention the single most popular move in the game, Earthquake, is of said type. It's a weak type that doesn't see much use, and works much better as a non-STAB add on to non-Electric Pokemon. I mean, the only heavily used Electrics are Legendaries or Rotom, and you can't really include Legendaries in these kinds of discussions if you ask me.

It is a general video game thread, as long as we dont start talking about hunting it is ok.

I think it is the entire light/dark duality. There is one missing, but fine, I see your logic, kind of, if it wasnt for the fact that it isnt called Light, or Good, it is called Fairy. Ghosts being weak to Fairies? Could accept that.

Steel makes more sense though. In about every kind of mythology that has fairies they are weak to cold iron. Their weakness being Steel makes perfect sense. But yes, Poison did need it.

Ok I see your point. Still, Rock could be a weakness, that would make sense, considering Electricity doesnt work on Rock.

I understand the mythological origins behind the weakness, but did Steel really need to have offensive power, is more my point. That said, them removing the resistances to Ghost and Dark, though they upset me to this day, does significantly weaken Steels given how popular Knock Off and Shadow Ball are.

My thing with Rock is that in real life rocks are the ground. They aren't separate. So in the game I'm not miffed that when separating the two they only gave one the immunity. It just so happened that in Gen I nearly all the Rock types were also Ground type.

One of the problems I have is the lack of quality Ice types. And I don't really count the Water/Ice dual types because people just target the Water side with electric moves. I want some high quality Ice types, dangit! 

I understand the mythological origins behind the weakness, but did Steel really need to have offensive power, is more my point. That said, them removing the resistances to Ghost and Dark, though they upset me to this day, does significantly weaken Steels given how popular Knock Off and Shadow Ball are.

My thing with Rock is that in real life rocks are the ground. They aren't separate. So in the game I'm not miffed that when separating the two they only gave one the immunity. It just so happened that in Gen I nearly all the Rock types were also Ground type.

One of the problems I have is the lack of quality Ice types. And I don't really count the Water/Ice dual types because people just target the Water side with electric moves. I want some high quality Ice types, dangit! 

I agree, Rock and Ground should be the same type, it is weird that they arent.

Like Ice/Fire, or every dragons nightmare Ice/Fairy? XD

I got Bayonetta and Corrin for Smash, Bayonetta feels tricky, but I like the feel of Corrin after about 3 matches.

Any speculation on what the new legendary pokemon in Sun and Moon will be? I'm thinking that Sun will have a pokemon that is very Amaterasu-like, will Moon will have a pokemon very Tsukuyomi-like. If you don't know, these are the Sun and Moon gods in the Shinto religion.   

The maybe fake leaked list has what seems to be legendaries as Quantum and Singularity, but it is probably fake.

One of them was Normal/Ghost type, by the way, which would be interesting if it was real.

... actually just have the video...

Maybe turtles. A sun turtle and a moon turtle. I dont know why turtles (Other than the Hawaii, theme that seems to be going on), but turtles. The sun obviously needs to be Fire type, maybe Fire/Dragon or Fire/Fairy (Though I hope thats the starter) and the moon is Ice/Dark or Dark/Ground or Cheese or something like that.

Speaking of Pokemon, the entire roster of Pokken is out.

pokken_tournament_early_roster_by_hirata

I am ok with it. I dont know why they added Braixien instead of Delphox or why we need two Mewtwo and Pikachu, but otherwise I like it. And Chandelure is such an odd choice, I love it XD

My favorites from the gameplay videos I have seen are Gengar, Weavile, Sceptile and Chandelure.

To change topic again, speaking of Amaterasu, did anyone play Okami? I really loved that one.

The maybe fake leaked list has what seems to be legendaries as Quantum and Singularity, but it is probably fake.

One of them was Normal/Ghost type, by the way, which would be interesting if it was real.

... actually just have the video...

Maybe turtles. A sun turtle and a moon turtle. I dont know why turtles (Other than the Hawaii, theme that seems to be going on), but turtles. The sun obviously needs to be Fire type, maybe Fire/Dragon or Fire/Fairy (Though I hope thats the starter) and the moon is Ice/Dark or Dark/Ground or Cheese or something like that.

Speaking of Pokemon, the entire roster of Pokken is out.

pokken_tournament_early_roster_by_hirata

I am ok with it. I dont know why they added Braixien instead of Delphox or why we need two Mewtwo and Pikachu, but otherwise I like it. And Chandelure is such an odd choice, I love it XD

My favorites from the gameplay videos I have seen are Gengar, Weavile, Sceptile and Chandelure.

To change topic again, speaking of Amaterasu, did anyone play Okami? I really loved that one.

I have seen so little of Pokken, I really need to pay more attention to that one. As for Okami, I feel like that game is the greatest game I have never played. I really need to see if I can find some way to play it.

I have seen so little of Pokken, I really need to pay more attention to that one. As for Okami, I feel like that game is the greatest game I have never played. I really need to see if I can find some way to play it.

It looks like a pretty fun fighting game from what I have seen.

That could be a minor problem. Im not sure if there are any digital versions. I was lucky enough to find a physical copy. Two games I really want to play are Viewtiful Joe and Psychonauts.