Shallan is in trouble...

IndigoAjah

Short one here. I'm sure there's been a thread before. 

Shallan is hugely at risk of getting targeted by Nan. She's now quite openly surgebinding AND it hardly takes that much digging to demonstrate that she's committed various crimes as Veil and definitely a dual parenticide. Now, if she admitted these things to Dalinar/Elkohar, she might be able to get a pardon (though maybe it would need to be Mr T who pardons her as the new ruler of her country?), but otherwise she is at serious risk of Nan finding out and giving him the excuse he wants to kill surgebinders. Maybe this and the need for protection against it will drive her into the arms of the Ghostbloods?

Well if Nalan is hunting all the surgebinders you are problably right.

But until now I am not sure He hunts all the Surgebinders. At the moment we saw him tried to kill only Edgedancers (or someone who may be an Eagledancer) therefore it's possible that only that order is his prey for some reason.

Edited by Yata

There's huge change coming to Roshar, and I doubt that it's going to be feasible to try and restrict these "mythical" Radiants by law. Of course, some will try, but I don't think the Vorin countries will be much part of that. (Except for maybe Jah Keved. Who knows what Taravangian is gonna do?) Thus, I don't think a pardon is needed. We'll find out in Oathbringer just what Dalinar has done, and Kaladin has done some stuff too. It's not going to be realistic to convict all these people who are prophesied to save the world (or something).

As to Nan... He seems to be limiting himself to obscure proto-Radiants at this point, like Ym and Lift. Shallan's a little more well-known and would probably be harder to kill, especially now that she's realized her powers and actively uses them, while knowing what she does is Surgebinding (at least mostly). Eventually, things may happen and you're right, Nan may eventually see what Shallan has done as grounds for another murder, but right now she's safe. I think. 

That probably won't happen for a while, but it's a really intuitive thought. Kudos to you!

Well, if Nalan meets Shallan, she could be in trouble, but he won't actively look for her. He hunted Surgebinders to stop Desolation, but Desolation is already here. He is going to have a lot of other things on his mind right now. But if he bumps into Shallan and he knows her deeds, he will probably behead her (or try to get her convicted, hard to say).

While it is unlikely Nalan will try to kill any more Radiants now that the Desolation he killed them to delay has come, I suppose he is insane enough to keep it up. The aim of the Skybreakers was to police the KR, so he might try to deliver some good old fashioned justice given the chance. Of course, a lot of that rides on whether or not he finds out about her crimes, whether or not he can find a way to charge her with them, and whether or not he thinks he has any real shot at killing her. Right now he seems busy with, at minimum, setting up Szeth to fight the Shin.

Well if Nalan is hunting all the surgebinders you are problably right.

But until now I am not sure He hunts all the Surgebinders. At the moment we saw him tried to kill only Edgedancers (or someone who may be an Eagledancer) therefore it's possible that only that order is his prey for some reason.

Nalan's dialogue makes it very clear that he was executing Surgebinders that had commited crimes because he thought he would prevent the desolation doing so. I doubt he would care which order they were in.

Observer's objection makes far more sense: If Nalan hears and believes the tales that the Final Desolation has already come, he might stop the killings. It's the "believes" bit that might be tricky, though. Of course, he might keep killing them because he blames them for bringing it about... you never know.

• Chaos locked this topic