Kandra can't "swap" spikes?

MagpieMaydin

It seems to be implied in BoM that a Kandra can't just use any old pair of blessings, that while a Kandra could carry around two blessings, they can't change spikes entirely without it affecting their personality.

So what would happen if two kandra swapped both their spikes? Would the personalities switch bodies? Would both feel "off" and a little crazy/schizo? Would nothing happen, and they both stabilize wholly as themselves with a different blessing? I think the second answer i the most likely...

So what would happen if a mistwrait ate a Kandra? Would it be a new personality entirely? Would the Kandra simply dominate? I think it would be a new person...

I think we've been told mistwraits are people, but there is a block between the phyical realm and cognitive realm that prevents them from being sentient. I think a hemalurgic spike must act a a kind of bridge allowing the proper cognitive-physical connection to take place. However the connection possesses it's on DNA and influences the resulting personality form completing the connection. So a Kandra's personality a mix of who'd they be if they were not broken AND some characteristics from the SDNA in the spikes.  

(This could be why Kandra are born mimicers; they are already a mix of several souls/personalities, so they are less concretely trapped in one.)

The specific combination of THOSE spikes with THAT body is what made the whole Kandra-Person and changing a small bit would feel wrong; like if someone suddenly made an introverted person an extrovert or something.

By the way.. 

and also... if a Mistwraith ate a Koloss... Would it becomes a Kandra? (the spikes are the same for the blessing of potency..)
Edited by MagpieMaydin

I suspect that if a pair of kandra swapped their spikes that they would be afflicted with the same problem that ReLuur was afflicted with, and would become very unstable cognitively.

I will be very interested to see someone in the Cognitive Realm try to perceive a kandra, and see what they "look" like in that place. I suspect that mistwraiths and kandra may actually look exactly the same from a Cognitive perspective and that the spikes are the sole Connection between realms for those species.

I am also very interested to see if a Feruchemical medallion can affect a mistwraith.

and also... if a Mistwraith ate a Koloss... Would it becomes a Kandra? (the spikes are the same for the blessing of potency..)

MeLaan implied you had when making the spikes intend for them to be part of a Kandra Blessing  and they would imply they weren't interchangeable.

There are probably multiple potential theft points for traits like there are bind points, and probably ways to manipulate the spiked attributes to behave in certain ways. Hemalurgy is basically the very bloody child of acupuncture and genetic engineering. Tons of room for fine control.

I'd always figured kandra blessings were more advanced than koloss spikes in some way. They are regarded as the most subtle of the three hemalurgic constructs, the last species made when Rashek had learned from the Koloss and Inquisitors. Stands to reason that their spiking might be more advanced in procedure as well.

I feel like what I read said that not just any spikes worked as Kandra Blessings, but not that two Kandra couldn't swap spikes or one Kandra couldn't use two sets.  Didn't TenSoon use two sets of spikes during the original Mistborn trilogy at some point?

jW

Well he did.

He had his own pair in to stabilize his sapience though, strength and further vulnerability to Ruin (though his own spikes apparently counteracted that somewhat) were all they really did.

Having unpaired blessings is something we hadn't seen attempted before this.

Actually this highlights another difficulty with granting kandra metallic arts. The spike has to contain these non-standard attributes as well as having been engineered as blessings using . . . whatever method you need to make them that we don't know.

• Chaos locked this topic