[bands spoilers]Not 16

Stormgate

It stands to reason that the Bands of Mourning were not truly made of 16 metals. For example, copper. While I'm sure copper Feruchemy was inside the Nicrosil portion of the Bands, it doesn't seem logical for copper as part of the Bands. Unless it has all of Kelsier's memories on it, in which case it would be amazing. Can anyone else think of other metals that could be left out of the Bands?

So... it has the complete set of metals?

There serves no functional point for having copper in the Bands. To make them undetectable, you would have to fill them with every single memory you possess, which would be kind of a letdown. What does this do? Allow you to make the Flash resemble a guy on a treadmill. This one lets you burn every single metal. This one lets you see a lot of empty walls that a person filled this metalmind with to make the copper part undetectable to Allomancy.

What does copper let you do?

Copper = Knowledge = Power.

(Copper let Sazed save the world, recall)

Also I may be mistaken but I thought through Identity shenanigans that the Bands of Mourning also turned you into a full Mistborn? In which case, copper would be present to let you burn copper... I thought...

Edited by NovaSeeker

What does copper let you do?

Copper = Knowledge = Power.

(Copper let Sazed save the world, recall)

Also I may be mistaken but I thought through Identity shenanigans that the Bands of Mourning also turned you into a full Mistborn? In which case, copper would be present to let you burn copper... I thought...

The bands do let you burn Copper, (edit: and every other metal) but it's unclear exactly how they grant Allomantic power, as that's not normally something that can be stored. I assume this is a very advanced use of the Investiture/Identity combo.

Edited by Senor Feesh

Do we know that the metals in a multi-mind like the Bands have to each be filled in order to be undetectable by Allomancy? In that regard the whole thing might just act like one big metalmind, even if the copper portion is empty (even though we don't know that it is), the rest might be filled enough to make the whole thing collectively undetectable.

In which case, copper would be present to let you burn copper... I thought...

The separate metals in the bands of mourning are only there as metalminds to store and draw from Ferruchemically. All of the powers that the Bands grant would be from the nicrosil-metalmind in the bands, because that's what stores investiture (the abilities themselves). The nicrosil in question would contain investiture allowing for every Ferruchemical and Allomantic ability.

That's why all the metalminds that granted powers in BoM were nicrosil-hybrids (the medallions, the bands, the coin at the end). In the nicrosil/iron medallions, the nicrosil grants the power of a Skimmer, and the iron functions as a regular iron metalmind, just one that anybody can use.

Allomantic power, as that's not normally something that can be stored.

I don't see any reason why that would be the case. Any investiture the holder possesses could theoretically be stored in the nicrosil. The book pretty much says exactly that.

Edited by rabidhexley

I don't see any reason why that would be the case. Any investiture the holder possesses could theoretically be stored in the nicrosil. The book pretty much says exactly that.

Yeah, I think I just had a dumb moment there. I mean, Feruchemy is also something that can't normally be stored, so that was a flawed premise from the start. The other metals in the bands are obviously there for convenience, as discussed on Wilg when they first use the medallions.

• Chaos locked this topic