Lounge

king007

Of course, I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience it might have caused you.

You are awesome. Thank you so much! It isn't inconvenience so much, as internet paranoia. Yeah, I'm one of those people. *sigh*

Haven't seen any kerfuffle thus far. Links? I'm waiting for jury selection (potential juror here) so have time to kill.

My tweets are getting decent attention, which is a first for me in Twitter pitches. So woohoo for marginalized writers getting a voice!

Hmm, I took it that it was to do with looking at subjects or protagonists that highlight marginalised groups.

Is it pitches from marginalised writers? That can't be it, because when you're pitching or submitting, who knows whether you are marginalised or not (as a writer). It must be the subject matter, surely?

Edit: Writers' Digest says it's an event for 'marginalized authors + diverse books', however the leader seems to suggest it is just marginalised authors. What's the point in that? What does more to raise the profile of marginalised groups, a disabled author who writes the worst kind or derivative/generic nonesense or any author whose protagonist is in a wheelchair?

Sorry for the extreme example, but you can see what I'm getting at, I trust, and I am genuinely interested in the views of the group. I feel like they are missing the point.

On another angle, where do you stand on positive discrimination? Positively discriminate in favour of subjects and characters that challenge marginalisation, by all means, but why would the industry discriminate against authors of colour/race; disabled authors, etc. if their work makes the grade?

Edited by Robinski

From the creator of the event, she said that it is for both marginalized writers AND people who write marginalized characters. If you are a marginalized writer you are encouraged to self-identify with the hashtag 'own' or 'ownvoices'. 

There has been a big push recently by agents and some publishers to stock a more diverse clientele. I see this only as a good thing. I look at it as a full on Twitter pitch for the #ownvoices trend - marginalized writers writing marginalized characters from their own perspectives. 

RE: why would the industry discriminate against authors of colour/race; disabled authors, etc. if their work makes the grade?

I don't know, but it happens all the time. I assume that agents and publishers want stuff that will sell broadly, not in niche markets. Therefore, what sells better (in theory): a book about a white cis-gendered, neuro-typical or something like: a young girl's journey with a hijab, a transsexual pirate, a black lives matter memoir? Marginalized writers have a much narrower pool to submit to (although that may be their own perception in some instances), so contests like these really let writers know which presses and agents really and truly want to connect with groups other than their own.

RE: seem to have little to do with marginalised issues

Most aren't using identifier hashtags (and with so few characters, who can blame them?), but many I see are from writers of color, which is awesome! Along with the idea of marginalized voices, too, is presenting worlds where these issues aren't issues, they are just par the course. 

RE: what makes an author marginalised?

They left it open broadly to interpretation. Throughout the day I've seen a lot of body positive Tweets, which I wouldn't have thought of falling into that category, but hey, maybe there is a gap in the literature there I didn't know about. Generally I would classify this type of marginalization as anything that falls outside the white, neuro-typical, heterosexual, able-bodied, gender binary world (so, people of color, QUILTBAG, autism, handicapped, etc). Definitions will vary, clearly.

I'd love to chat about this more, with anyone. I took the day off for jury duty this Twitter contest (two publishers, three agents and counting!!), so am around all day!

Edited by kaisa

Really awesome post, Kaisa. I've been fascinated watching the pitches float past, some really great ones that I would start reading from the pitch/tag line.

Edited by Robinski

I've been fascinated watching the pitches float past, some really great ones that I would start reading from the pitch/tag line.

Have you also noticed a surprising number of Peter Pan themed pitches? I had no idea that was such a thing.

You know, Princess Bride is one of the few times when I prefer the movie to the book (Shawshank Redemption is another one).  William Goldman wrote the book and the script simultaneously iirc, and the book doesn't have much that isn't also in the movie.  And the movie is just so, so good...

I'm sure that this post will get me boiled alive, but yea, like unto Galileo I must speak the truth as I see it.