Wax and Hoid

lordofsoup

Why doesnt Wax recognize Hoid when he shows up in the garden.  Its not a common name.  Surely he remembers the name of his former coachman.

That is a really good point. I wondered as well, but I concluded it as Wayne being the one knowing Hoid, so it makes sense that Wax not recognizing him.

But seriously, if Wax doesn't know his own staff, the Set could easily slip in another bomb-butler whenever they wanted.

I guess that has something to do with the fact, that people remember names only in context. So you would not expect your coachman to be a beggar and make no connection. Even if you are a super-detective, it's an honorable mistake.

That was my initial question as well but then I considered that the way Hoid gets around it's likely he was a coachman for a very brief amount of time. Wayne would have been the dangerous one in that situation. The way Wayne remembers voices and facial expressions, I would gather that Wayne would have recognized him flat out had Hoid not been lightweaving. 

Is Hoid an unusual name?

I don't think anyone has commented on it, despite him using it on (at least, and openly) Nalthis and Scadrial.

We don't see any other Hoids because...well, only GRRM has multiple Roberts...but Hoid might be a common enough name in the Cosmere.

(No one even blinked at Ham, Breeze or Wax. Hoid idnt that unusual by comparison.)

So if you see two distinctly different men with the same name some time later on opposite sides of the continent, do you think they're the same person? Probably not. Take the name Herbert for example. Say I had never heard the name Herbert until the day my new coach driver introduced himself. Then later, I am bothered by a random beggar who bears no real physical resemblance to my old coach driver, but says his name is Herbert. My mind will most naturally attribute this to two different people with the same name due to context and subconscious logic, even if I wasn't familiar with the name to begin with.

So if you see two distinctly different men with the same name some time later on opposite sides of the continent, do you think they're the same person? Probably not. Take the name Herbert for example. Say I had never heard the name Herbert until the day my new coach driver introduced himself. Then later, I am bothered by a random beggar who bears no real physical resemblance to my old coach driver, but says his name is Herbert. My mind will most naturally attribute this to two different people with the same name due to context and subconscious logic, even if I wasn't familiar with the name to begin with.

Except we're talking about Wax. Who is suspicious of everything, all the time. It does seem odd that he wouldn't pick up on Hoid. Honestly... new coachman, and remarked on as new right before he talked to Harmony... maybe he just didn't register the name?

Except we're talking about Wax. Who is suspicious of everything, all the time. It does seem odd that he wouldn't pick up on Hoid. Honestly... new coachman, and remarked on as new right before he talked to Harmony... maybe he just didn't register the name?

I think there was too much time between Hoid acting as his coachman(for probably not very long) and beggar Hoid at the mansion for Wax to grow suspicious. And far too much on his plate to register a name he probably hadn't heard in months, and for only what was most likely a short time as a rather unimportant job as coachman. I'm sure Wax didn't personally hire him. And I'm guessing he probably lightweaved a disguise, like others above have said.

• Chaos locked this topic