peter v. brett

kami

Nice books, first one was the better one i really liked some themes like that the "old wolrd" are a modern society with fire weapons and nuclear energy. Liked the magic system too, and the paintedman are a nice character.

But man i think that Brett put to much sex without reason  in the books, one of the main themes look like to be who will "end up"  with who.

The climax of the last book also are let down to me.

Overall i liked and really hope that in the next book are more "easy" to read. =)

Edited by Natans

Yes it feels as though there is a great connection between there old world and our actuall reality. I liked the connection you get with each character, especially when the group is all together in certain parts. I agree in certain parts it does end up being a "who gets with who" affair but i don't object to that, its nice to see that it can actually fit into this sort of genre quite good yet still keep you emerged in the story. All in all peter v. Brett is an excellent writer and keeps me wanting more and more when I enter the demon cycle world.

Edited by kami

Have to agree with Natans. When I read first book it was one of the best and second one was even better(at least for me) but third book wasn't that good. I love romance in books but second one was too much of a who will "end up" with who and I don't have problems with sex but I hope we'll get less of that. Third book was about Inevera so it at least can be explained but if next book keeps it up I won't be keeping this series in my favorites. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad or something, simply those aren't the things that make this series awesome for me and I really hope we'll get more epic stuff and less sex and romance in next books.

Agree as well. The first two books I couldn't put down but things fell apart in a few areas for the third. Along with some of the stuff mentioned above, my biggest problem with it was the rehashing of known events from a new perspective. Sometimes that can be done well (ender's shadow - o.c. Card, Zoe's tale - scalzi) but for me those sections became a drag and I was tempted to just skip ahead to new material. Hopefully, we'll be past all that in the fourth book and the series as a whole lives up to the potential of the first two.

Yeah I agree with you on the re hash events, they where very tiresome and to see the next chapter was about a different event was a blessing.

These things aside though I must say the rest of the book included some cool events too. Lets not forget that this wasnt just a love story but it is a world created as much for its characters aswell as its setting and events. I think peter has done a great job at this.

I'm weird in that I actually enjoyed the 2nd book the least, Jardir's sections just annoy me, it's a really interesting character concept especially when you compare it to the traditional trope of the unwilling hero but I just really hate his viewpoints, he reminds me of a male version of Egwene.
First and third books I really enjoyed though has anyone else seen the spoiler for book 4 yet?

• 10 months later...

I like this series so far & agree with most of what everyone else has said. Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't the sex or romance in these books, but how often people were being raped, and the proportion of characters who had experienced rape, that sort of got to me. I felt like it was to the point where one could get de-sensitized to it, and IMO that would not be a desirable thing. I know the cuture Brett is depicting is harsh and cruel, but still ... I'm hoping future books can include less of this and more magic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a pretty big fan of this series also. Loved The Warded Man, but as most others said, the repeat flashbacks from different perspectives started to bother me by book 3. The only way it wont bother me in book 4 is if it's a mind demon or something like that.

Another thing was the fact that Renna became so powerful so quickly. She was able to get the better of Enkido using sharusak after training for a few months? Enkido is mentioned throughout the books as being one of the best, it just didn't sit right with me.

And don't even get me started on the Love you, Arlen Bales. We get it Renna.

All that being said though I still really enjoy this series, and I'm really excited to see what happens after that Deliverer showdown.

I loved many of the ideas of the series (so far), but much of the execution fell short, in my opinion. The prose was neither transparent, nor beautiful - it was a thing that got in the way. Another extremely annoying thing is that you can pretty much tell who is a main character by figuring out who had been raped in the past. All in all, I will probably finish the series, but I wouldn't get too excited over them.

• 3 weeks later...

I dig them. I enjoy the concept and like Arlen as a character. Excited to see where the series is going with its conclusion.

Will agree with people ITT about Jardir and his entire backstory though. Felt like it was forced in order to make him a major character which is amusing considering what happens to him. I don't know how to spoiler so I can't even say. ;_;

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What if the dice are controlled by Nie?

Or what If Nie knows about (but doesn't actually control) all the "magic" done using hora?

Does anyone else think this, or wonder about it? I'm curious to hear what you all think.

(BTW - I don't read or post on any other boards, like Theoryland - just here on the 17th Shard ... maybe this isn't a new idea at all. I like my real-world too much to keep up with everything that's out there in SFF-land. :-)

Edited by old aggie

What if the dice are controlled by Nie?

Or what If Nie knows about (but doesn't actually control) all the "magic" done using hora?

Does anyone else think this, or wonder about it? I'm curious to hear what you all think.

(BTW - I don't read or post on any other boards, like Theoryland - just here on the 17th Shard ... maybe this isn't a new idea at all. I like my real-world too much to keep up with everything that's out there in SFF-land. :-)

I don't think Nie or Everam exist. I think that the dice are just a way of reading the flow of magic as a whole, like what jadir and Arlen do but, um, with everything. So instead of reading a persons emotional state in the present it is able to reach somewhat into both the past and the future. The reader then just has to interperit the message. With some being naturally better than others.

I don't think Nie or Everam exist. I think that the dice are just a way of reading the flow of magic as a whole, like what Jardir and Arlen do but, um, with everything. So instead of reading a person's emotional state in the present, it is able to reach somewhat into both the past and the future. The reader then just has to interpret the message. With some being naturally better than others.

Sorry, I used the wrong word ... when I wrote "Nie," I actually meant the queen demon - the one that all the consorts fight over. We know that she does exist, or at least that the consorts and Arlen think she does. (Hoping they kill her in Book 5!)

I agree with you about Everam and Nie - in that world, they don't exist. I also don't think we'll meet an actual god of any kind, though we might find out who wrote the Canon, when, & why.

And I agree with you re: the flow of magic, though I wonder where it comes from / what is its source. I wonder if it will dissipate if the queen and all the other demons die? since then mankind won't need the magic anymore...

Sorry, I used the wrong word ... when I wrote "Nie," I actually meant the queen demon - the one that all the consorts fight over. We know that she does exist, or at least that the consorts and Arlen think she does. (Hoping they kill her in Book 5!)

I agree with you about Everam and Nie - in that world, they don't exist. I also don't think we'll meet an actual god of any kind, though we might find out who wrote the Canon, when, & why.

And I agree with you re: the flow of magic, though I wonder where it comes from / what is its source. I wonder if it will dissipate if the queen and all the other demons die? since then mankind won't need the magic anymore...

Oh, right. OK. No I don't think she is.

As for whether magic would dissipate if the Demons disappeared. I don't know. Because Arlen mentions that it is in everything.

I've also thought it radiated from the core.