As we all know, deathspren appear when someone is dying. Since they appear so be somewhat smarter than the average spren

(fighting Syl when Kaladin was dying)

, is it possible for someone to bond one? They may be attracted to people who either cause death, or are on the brink of death continuously.  :P

Your thoughts?

1st Ideal

"I will die."

2nd Ideal

"I will fulfill the 1st ideal."

3rd Ideal

"I will die very soon"

4th Ideal

"I will remain dead."

Lol.

Thing is, all the ten surges are accounted for by spren that form the nahel bonds in the knights radiant. So this is unlikely.

And anyway, what shard are deathspren most closely related to?

Interesting thought on that... They are red and black. Could they be of odium?

That all aside, deathspren aren't very intelligent to my knowledge. I mean, an animal can fight, which makes it more intelligent than a rock, but not really on a human level either. Spren vary significantly in the range of power and sentience, from things like flamespren all the way to entities like nightwatcher and the stormfather, who can apparently be quite powerful in the material world without a nahel bond. If they were intelligent though, maybe you could bond with one from a near-death experience.

Also, on a completely different tangent... If spren become more powerful/intelligent in the material world after forging a nahel bond... Does this mean the stormfather will become even more powerful...?

If spren become more powerful/intelligent in the material world after forging a nahel bond... Does this mean the stormfather will become even more powerful...?

Maybe yes... Maybe no...

The problem with the Stormfather is that he is his own category in pratice, being the soul of the storm, an aparent overseer of sprenbonds, the shadow of Tanavast, a sliver of Honor and who knows what else.

His presence in the physical realm may be so great he does not benefit from a sprenbond. Or he does, but in a completely unexpected way, like becoming a giant made of thunder and pressurized Stormlight.

I always though that that the lesser Spren "bonds" itself with someone/something when someone is "affine" with them. And this is the reason to their "spawn" in the Physical Realm in visible form. Of course this bond grant no power or sentience. And the bond is terminated when the host became lesser affine with the spren

Perhaps.

Maybe deathspren have some relation to how everyone has apparently prophetic last words the moment before they die.

Well the Death Rattle are caused by an Unmade of Odium, the Deathspren is (very probably) not an OdiumSpren.

Well the Death Rattle are caused by an Unmade of Odium, the Deathspren is (very probably) not an OdiumSpren.

Wait we know that the death rattle is from odium? Interesting...

That does make me wonder what Taravangian is up to gathering information from this. I still think his apparent foresight bears the touch of odium.

Would be cool if bonding a deathspren at the point of death allowed you to forsee your own death, or others near you or close(relationship-wise) to you, to possibly stop it.

On the subject of the Death Rattle--what if the Rattle only occurs when someone bonds a deathspren at the moment of their death?

What if deathspren act like Charon did for the Greeks, and they move your spirit out of the physical realm?

I am not sure what you mean. As far as I am aware, when people die in the cosmere, with some exceptions, they hang around in the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms for some time and then their mind goes to the final afterlife beyond the Realms and the investiture of their spiritweb gets recicled.

Edited by DreamEternal

Well I have had this thought for awhile, that could be utterly and completely wrong, just the way I look at things. That wind spren are lesser spren, and honor spren are a higher version of them. Same thing with creation spren and cryptics. So then death spren would be the lesser version, and a knight would bond with a reaper spren? or a spren with the same theme, but by a different name and more fully fleshed out.

I think the "more fleshed out" versions of spren only occur with the intervention of a shard. In the case of honorspren, honor is the obvious one. Not sure about cryptics, possibly a mix of honor and cultivation though I would bet it was more cultivation than honor. Maybe if ruin traveled to roshar, a more developed version of deathspren would appear?

I think the "more fleshed out" versions of spren only occur with the intervention of a shard. In the case of honorspren, honor is the obvious one. Not sure about cryptics, possibly a mix of honor and cultivation though I would bet it was more cultivation than honor. Maybe if ruin traveled to roshar, a more developed version of deathspren would appear?

I think Cultivation's, or even Honor's investiture would be able to do it on itself. There is nothing inherently honorable about wind after all.

Edited by DreamEternal

I think Cultivation's, or even Honor's investiture would be able to do it on itself. There is nothing inherently honorable about wind after all.

This is true... On the other hand, I doubt a shard would choose a spren that is antithetical to itself. Cultivation especially would probably not choose deathspren.

This is true... On the other hand, I doubt a shard would choose a spren that is antithetical to itself. Cultivation especially would probably not choose deathspren.

If they are involved in the recicling of investiture from dead beings, they sound very aigned with Cultivation. Plus, WoB says Cultivation as a shard is very compatible with Ruin.

The way I see it, Cultivation wants to change all things towards more complex forms, and Ruin wants to break down everything into simplier forms, but to build something bigger you may need to take something apart, and to take something apart you may have to build the right tool to the job.

Edited by DreamEternal

Okay, well maybe cultivation could choose a deathspren.

I don't think cultivation did, however. Unless one of the existing radiant orders does have a spren related to deathspren.

We know very little about some of the orders.

I don't think the shards "choose" spren, as much as that their investiture is naturaly closer to those spren types.

Also, on a completely different tangent... If spren become more powerful/intelligent in the material world after forging a nahel bond... Does this mean the stormfather will become even more powerful...?

The spren who form a nahel bond don't so much become more powerful, as regain their cognitive realm form, I have a feeling that the powerful spren like him (who appear to be themselves practitionors of a form of investiture refered to as "the old magic") are likely already in their true cognitive realm form

for instance, Patern manifests as his humanoid form during soulcastings and Syl apears in her humanoid form around the time that Kal speaks a new oath

• Chaos locked this topic