But Rashek had no friends: the well and nobles

DeadFencer

So while holding the power of the well of Ascension, Rashek changed the nobles to be taller in the balance. But didn't Rashek's allies come from after the well, when he was taking over the world? Those were the ones who received the Lerasium beads after all. Alendi may have had some allies before he died, but if some of those didn't support Rashek they would appear as nobles but be skaa, especially early on when the balance was more apparent.

Oh, that's easy!  It's because uh... hmm.

Good point.

All of his friends were other wild frontiersman ice climbers that he turned into goo-people.  Maybe it's more like he "damaged" everyone else' genome (made skaa) and the Lerasium bead would undo this damage?

From what I remember, he turned all of his Terrisman buds into the first gen Kendra, then gave Lerasium to the nobles to keep them dependant on him, maybe. Gonna have to check that bit out again, but I don't recall him giving Lerasium Terrisman who could use Feruchemy, because he didn't want anyone matching him in strength. I mean he did initiate the breeding programs to try to curtail Feruchemy being passed on. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was no friend to the nobles.

EDIT-Wow, stupid auto correct made Terrisman to Terry's man and Lerasium to Persimmon. Very annoying.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Being ascended for a short time he probably figured out, which people will support him and made them the first nobles

Also to keep up the ruse that he was indeed Alendi the hero rather than some random Terris packman.

Hadn't Alendi conquered most of what became the Final Empire before he even went to the Well?

Maybe Rashek knew that it would be much easier to just appropriate the power structure that was under Alendi, rather than try and set up a completely new one. Then there would already be a clear aristocracy for him to turn into the modified nobles and a proletariat to become the Skaa.

Edited by King's Twit

I think it wass clearly stated somewhere (if not in book, maybe in a annotation or something?) that rashek, while holding the power of the well, talked in the mind to some kings and offered them the power of allomancy for their support.

You're probably thinking of the Feruchemists who became the first generation of Kandra.

He may have also talked to the original nobles while he held the power, but AFAIK it is not stated in the books or the annotations that he did so.

Edited by King's Twit

We can be pretty sure that he didn't tell everyone he was Rashek: if they knew he was a Terrisman, that would give them a clue about the powers of ferruchemy, and encourage challengers.  So the only people who knew he was Rashek were the Kandra and maybe the Inquisitors.  For everyone else, he would have pretended to be Alendi.  Alendi's friend network would have already helped Alendi conquer the world, and would be the most powerful people around.  They would be useful tools.  So, I think the in-text origin story for the nobles is correct: they are descended from the people who helped Alendi rise to power.  Rashek just had to remain powerful and aloof, so they would think that Alendi had changed at the Well, rather than realizing he was someone else.

We can be pretty sure that he didn't tell everyone he was Rashek: if they knew he was a Terrisman, that would give them a clue about the powers of ferruchemy, and encourage challengers.  So the only people who knew he was Rashek were the Kandra and maybe the Inquisitors.  For everyone else, he would have pretended to be Alendi.  Alendi's friend network would have already helped Alendi conquer the world, and would be the most powerful people around.  They would be useful tools.  So, I think the in-text origin story for the nobles is correct: they are descended from the people who helped Alendi rise to power.  Rashek just had to remain powerful and aloof, so they would think that Alendi had changed at the Well, rather than realizing he was someone else.

That seems likely. Also, am I the only who noticed how much Alendi and Rashek resembled each other? (probably a reason why Rashek kept Alendi's diary in Kredik Shaw)

Edited by Alfa

That seems likely. Also, am I the only who noticed how much Alendi and Rashek resembled each other? (probably a reason why Rashek kept Alendi's diary in Kredik Shaw)

Terrismen should have dark skin(like some kind of Africans or Indians?), and other people should look like western European people(?).

Any way, as he got the power, plastic surgery should be just a piece of cake.

I may be wrong (I'm just using my feeble memory) but I don't think that he made his friends into nobles and then gave some of them allomancy...I think he just divided the populace for survival purposes...and then later gave allomancy to his strongest supporters (who were nobles).

Edited by hoidhunter

Terrismen should have dark skin(like some kind of Africans or Indians?), and other people should look like western European people(?).

Any way, as he got the power, plastic surgery should be just a piece of cake.

I meant on behavior Level.

Edited by Alfa

it's impossible, he feared the mix of Allomancy and Feruchemy. He enslaved his own people to avoid that.

Well he did have children (Or at least a child) at some point. But yeah, I doubt he would have given them Lerasium and allowed them to keep breeding unchecked. I also think it's incredibly unlikely that people wouldn't know that. And also no feruchemist Nobles have been born so far as we know.

• Chaos locked this topic