IT'S A DANGEROUS WORLD, LADIES! 

The world is at war, and a new breed of criminal stalks the streets. Men with the power to set passersby aflame, lift a car and toss it as easily as a hay bale, or know the best escape route before they even need one. This is what our boys in blue must face down every day—and despite their best efforts, these men know there simply aren't enough officers to protect the city from the likes of them. 

THE SPOKANE POLICE DEPARTMENT NEEDS YOU! 

With so many of our boys off fighting, police departments all across the nation are turning to their women in this time of need. If you have contracted the Super virus with powers to show for it, apply today! Spokane needs its women to protect their city while the men are away. 

DON'T LET OUR CITY FALL! 

The Spokane Police Department offers competitive pay and training for all women hired for Non-Combat Officer positions. Save your city while he's off saving the world! 

APPLY TODAY! 

Advertisement poster, seen on outside wall of Sprague Avenue apartment complex in March, 1943

For the purposes of this AMA, the following characters are available to answer questions: 

Spokane Police Chief Jonathan Cusick Power: None 

Susan Gillespie Whitelaw, adopted daughter of Rev. Charles Whitelaw Power: Clairvoyance 

Francine Newell, newcomer to Spokane and recent SPD NCO hire Power: Empathy 

Rev. Charles Whitelaw of the First Church of the New Prophets Power: Retrocognition 

Rev. Samuel Lee of the First Church of the New Miracles Power: None 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I've been waiting for this AMA. It's a confusing time and having someone to pose questions to will be a great help.

Ms. Newell, was there any specific incident that prompted you to join the SPD? Does your empathic ability regularly aide you in the performance of your duties?

Question for both the Reverends: how have the appearance of superpowered beings affected your faith?

Alright, let's put this to the test. Susan, can you tell which question I'm going to ask next?

In case you can not.

Are there also members of the SPD that have more physical powers and if not, was it an active desicion to only employ people with mental powers?

Um, that's an interesting question. There isn't just one question you'll ask next, but several questions you could ask. The one you gave me was one of about four, which narrowed to two just before you started typing (because you could have changed your mind and asked me a different one). 

It's mostly men who have physical powers like strength, stamina, and enhanced reflexes. I mean, women can ​receive those powers, and they often do, because I've seen them, but the SPD usually hires women with mental powers and men with physical ones. Physical powers are most useful on patrol or in combat, and the Chief doesn't want to put women in harm's way.

I've been waiting for this AMA. It's a confusing time and having someone to pose questions to will be a great help.

Ms. Newell, was there any specific incident that prompted you to join the SPD? Does your empathic ability regularly aide you in the performance of your duties?

Question for both the Reverends: how have the appearance of superpowered beings affected your faith?

​No. I've always wanted to do police work—detective work, specifically—but a number of factors worked against me. I can't say it was enjoyable being ill, but since it gave me an opportunity to try my hand at police work, you won't see me complaining. My position with the SPD isn't quite what I wanted, but it's teaching me skills that might allow me to become a private detective one day. That position, by the way, is with interrogations. While the regular officer interrogates, I read the perp's emotions and take notes. It doesn't let me read minds, but I've gotten it fine-tuned enough that I can usually spot a lie.

Lee: Good question. Everyone will respond to the Supers' appearance differently. For me, I would say that after the initial surprise of watching my wife light the oven from across the room, my faith has grown stronger. It's a known fact that these powers were brought to us by science, but God can and has used science for His purposes—which are always, always for our ultimate good. Although it was crime bosses and petty thieves who mastered their powers first, good people have not been far behind. The Supers in my congregation have actually begun a group to discuss how they might use their powers to help their fellow man—and their ideas are extraordinary. The rain may fall on the just and the unjust, but the just will use their harvest to feed the poor, and that is what matters. These Supers are a miracle, and I thank God every day that He has blessed us with them.

Whitelaw: As Rev. Lee said, these Supers are a blessing, but I believe we have a much higher purpose than simply good works.

Faith without works is dead, Charles.

Yes, but the definition of "works" goes far beyond simple helps. If the Lord wanted His children to do nothing more than feed the hungry, He would have given them the means to do so. Instead, we were granted the ability to see truth from falsehood—and to punish those who lead others into lies. Empathy. Clairvoyance. Retrocognition. You cannot tell me that those powers are best used for any purpose other than keeping the Body pure of falsehood.

Lt. Nax Venture Power: minor dynakinesis.

Is this your 1940s era superhero story?

Yes. What's dynakinesis? 

Yes. What's dynakinesis? 

Manipulation of energy, ranging from lightning to shockwaves, heat and just about everything else you can think of.

I am aware that there isn't a 100% answer to this but what are some of the the most powerful Supers any of you have encountered?

Manipulation of energy, ranging from lightning to shockwaves, heat and just about everything else you can think of.

I am aware that there isn't a 100% answer to this but what are some of the the most powerful Supers any of you have encountered?

Ah. Really, only a few of those exist in-universe: pyrokinesis (manipulation of fire) electrokinesis (manipulation of electricity) and one that I have yet to name, which is manipulation of kinetic energy. All of these require the energy source to be present for manipulation, and at this point on the universe's timeline, the energy source cannot be amplified. If a pyrokinetic has only a candle to work with, they'll have to get creative with just a candle flame. 

Susan: My father—er, Rev. Whitelaw.

Rev. Whitelaw: My daughter is quite powerful, as precogs go. Most others I've met can only see one future at a time, and a few only get a vague sense of danger when danger is present. Susan can see more futures than I knew existed. I've seen a few of her charts. She's powerful.

Chief Cusick: Rev. Whitelaw and Miss Gillespie are both powerful, as precogs and retrocogs go. Let's just say I'm glad Gillespie is on our side. Miss Newell is powerful for an empath, though I can't say whether refinement ought to be classified as a power level. Whatever the case, she can name more emotions than I knew existed, and discuss which each one means for the situation at hand. Now, there are probably more powerful Supers in the Army—or, God forbid, working for Hitler—but you asked which ones I've encountered, and those are the most powerful of the ones I've met.

Ah. Really, only a few of those exist in-universe: pyrokinesis (manipulation of fire) electrokinesis (manipulation of electricity) and one that I have yet to name, which is manipulation of kinetic energy. All of these require the energy source to be present for manipulation, and at this point on the universe's timeline, the energy source cannot be amplified. If a pyrokinetic has only a candle to work with, they'll have to get creative with just a candle flame. 

Susan: My father—er, Rev. Whitelaw.

Rev. Whitelaw: My daughter is quite powerful, as precogs go. Most others I've met can only see one future at a time, and a few only get a vague sense of danger when danger is present. Susan can see more futures than I knew existed. I've seen a few of her charts. She's powerful.

Chief Cusick: Rev. Whitelaw and Miss Gillespie are both powerful, as precogs and retrocogs go. Let's just say I'm glad Gillespie is on our side. Miss Newell is powerful for an empath, though I can't say whether refinement ought to be classified as a power level. Whatever the case, she can name more emotions than I knew existed, and discuss which each one means for the situation at hand. Now, there are probably more powerful Supers in the Army—or, God forbid, working for Hitler—but you asked which ones I've encountered, and those are the most powerful of the ones I've met.

Dynakinesis, as far as I'm familiar with the term, is not a catch all for powers dealing with energy but a power that affects all kind of powers, so Frostfire and Converter would probably be good examples.

So, is it more like telekinesis that can only redirect the energy or how would it work and could someone store the candle flame (for example) for later.

What about your collegues on patrol with physical powers?

Edited by Edgedancer

What is the ratio of supers to people?

Supers make up about a third of the general population. More powerful Supers are rarer compared to less powerful or mid-range ones, but on the whole, Supers are pretty common. 

Edge, I'm going to get back to your question when I'm done thinking about it. :ph34r: 

Francine newell: do you have children? Do they u know about your powers?

Would you encourage all women to join the workforce? How can supers be useful if they don't want to or are unable to join the police? And with all the men away and the women working, who's caring for the children? What about their education and their home cooked hot meals daily?

:ph34r:

So, is it more like telekinesis that can only redirect the energy or how would it work and could someone store the candle flame (for example) for later.

What about your collegues on patrol with physical powers?

As you may know :ph34r: energy redirection is among the more combat-ready abilities of a kinetic Super. However, these Supers also possess the ability to store that energy for later, and they do it in one of two ways: 

1) Freezing the energy source. If a pyrokinetic, for instance, wants to use a candle flame without carrying the candle with her, she can freeze the flame in place—no heat, no light, no movement—store it in a container of some sort, and carry it with her for later use. 

2) Absorbing the energy and converting it back to its original form later. This would allow the Super to shoot flames from her hand—although, since she'd be using a candle flame, it wouldn't be as impressive as when the X-Men do it. Alternatively, a Super who absorbs the energy of their source can use it as bodily energy; however, it can be used this way by accident in cases of physical exertion. 

So far, I'd say the most powerful physical Super out on patrol right now is Oliver Grant, a first-class kinetic energy manipulator. When I asked him to show off his powers, he swiped the motion right off a moving truck. No idea how fast it was going, but it was going pretty fast—and most Supers of his type can't stop a car completely, but that's what he did. You should've seen the driver, stomping on the gas, trying to get it back up to speed when it's slowing faster than he can think—and then it comes to a stop. Grant couldn't hold onto that much energy for long, but the fact he pulled that much at all is pretty impressive.

I don't read the papers much these days... are there any especially famous (or infamous) Supers in the world I should know about?

As of March 1943, Supers are still relatively novel, and their powers are still being explored and tested. Most famous Supers are famous at a local level—and of those, the ones that are most well known are crime bosses. However, there is still plenty of time for heroism, and for individual Supers to make a name for themselves. By the time the war is over, there will be several well-known Supers on every side, with reputations both heroic and villainous. 

Francine newell: do you have children? Do they u know about your powers?

Would you encourage all women to join the workforce? How can supers be useful if they don't want to or are unable to join the police? And with all the men away and the women working, who's caring for the children? What about their education and their home cooked hot meals daily?

:ph34r:

Children? You're kidding. I'm nineteen. Of course I'm old enough to have them, but am I old enough to want them? No! I'd rather start a family with a career to tell my children about—if I choose to have them. I honestly can't say whether or not I will. 

I am quite enjoying my life as a working woman, so I would encourage all women to do likewise; however, little as I can imagine it not being for me, I know it's not for everyone. So, I would say: If you want to join the workforce; do. If not, don't. If a Super doesn't want to join the police or the army, they ought to do what they can within their neighborhoods to help. I don't know what exactly they'll do; I don't live in those neighborhoods.

The children, who are not helpless idiots, are caring for themselves and one another. You see, this is not the first time in human history when a child has had to come home to a vacant house, or when they have had to help a younger sibling with their homework, or even make a few simple steps toward beginning supper. Some children are raised by a mother who must work to make ends meet, and are thus called upon to do things around the house to help out. Will they whine a bit? Perhaps. Will they explode on contact with the stove? Probably not. Honestly, the assumptions people make.

What is your opinion on 4F (not eligible for service) Supers?

Who were you asking—me, or one of the characters? The answer will differ considerably based on who is asked. :ph34r:

What implications has the rise of Supers had for global politics?

Ask how the moon affects our planet, why don't you. :mellow: That is a huge question, with answers that can branch out into every country of the world and go on for hours no matter where the focus lies, not to mention the fact that those answers will change as society itself changes and history marches on. 

Short answer: As of 1943, the main way Supers affect global politics is as a human resource. The virus was created by an American scientist, so the Americans are seeking to preserve their advantage. The scientist had other ideas, and spread it as far as she could. Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany will both recruit as many Supers as possible; Nazi Germany in particular will try to reverse-engineer a virus of their own. But remember all those "undesirables" Hitler decided to kill around this time? There's nothing stopping them from catching the virus….and catch it they will. 

Miss Whitelaw, would you mind describing for us what it feels like to see the future? Is the future a fixed path, or is it a many-branched experience?

It's….um….Gillespie….but you can use Whitelaw if it's easier.

When I first began seeing the future, I thought it would be a fixed path. That's how Father always described it—man follows the path predetermined for him by God, and deviation from that path is impossible. But when I saw the future, I saw choices. Chances. I could stay in my chair or stand and walk away. It seems obvious to me now, but at the time I found it surprising, the sheer number of choices the future held. In reality, there is no such thing as the future; there  are only many possible futures. If a choice is made, one option vanishes, only to branch again.

Here's an example. You must choose between two sandwiches for lunch. There are two paths: cheese and turkey—although there could be a third option, where you ignore both sandwiches and make soup; or a fourth, where you take them apart and make something new; we will pretend there are only two choices. Choose the turkey sandwich, lift it to your mouth for a bite, and the future where you chose the cheese over the turkey vanishes. But then more futures are created: You might take a bite and set it back on the plate. You might choose the cheese anyway, deciding that the turkey is not to your liking. You might be distracted by a sudden thought and ignore both sandwiches. There are so many futures possible from two sandwiches, and I could explore them all.

Though I honestly wouldn't want to. Sandwiches are boring, and they make for boring futures. I, um, I much prefer gazing and mapping at the police station.

It's….um….Gillespie….but you can use Whitelaw if it's easier.

When I first began seeing the future, I thought it would be a fixed path. That's how Father always described it—man follows the path predetermined for him by God, and deviation from that path is impossible. But when I saw the future, I saw choices. Chances. I could stay in my chair or stand and walk away. It seems obvious to me now, but at the time I found it surprising, the sheer number of choices the future held. In reality, there is no such thing as the future; there  are only many possible futures. If a choice is made, one option vanishes, only to branch again.

Here's an example. You must choose between two sandwiches for lunch. There are two paths: cheese and turkey—although there could be a third option, where you ignore both sandwiches and make soup; or a fourth, where you take them apart and make something new; we will pretend there are only two choices. Choose the turkey sandwich, lift it to your mouth for a bite, and the future where you chose the cheese over the turkey vanishes. But then more futures are created: You might take a bite and set it back on the plate. You might choose the cheese anyway, deciding that the turkey is not to your liking. You might be distracted by a sudden thought and ignore both sandwiches. There are so many futures possible from two sandwiches, and I could explore them all.

Though I honestly wouldn't want to. Sandwiches are boring, and they make for boring futures. I, um, I much prefer gazing and mapping at the police station.

If it isn't to personal, was there any lead up to Whitelaw adopting you Miss Gillespie or is it just coincidence he adopted a child that also turned into a Super.

On the nature of your powers, how would your powers help you with predicting which sandwich said person actually ends up choosing? There is after all a huge difference between predicting what is possible and predicting what will actually happen.

As for another topic, at which rate do new Supers tend to appear nowadays?

If it isn't to personal, was there any lead up to Whitelaw adopting you Miss Gillespie or is it just coincidence he adopted a child that also turned into a Super.

On the nature of your powers, how would your powers help you with predicting which sandwich said person actually ends up choosing? There is after all a huge difference between predicting what is possible and predicting what will actually happen.

As for another topic, at which rate do new Supers tend to appear nowadays?

Oh, no, I was adopted years before the Super virus appeared.

I agree, and when it came to the final choice—which sandwich they finished—I wouldn't know until they made it. Even then, I could see additional choices they might make. My clairvoyance isn't all that useful in seeing what will happen, unless you count educated guesses. What it is useful for is finding which choices to make that will lead to a favorable outcome, or which choices to avoid. I can see the choices I and others will make. I can see which ones will get an officer to safety, and which ones will get him shot. Chief Cusick says I don't see the future so much as create it.

As for new Supers—they're appearing fairly rapidly. Since there's a one in three chance any random person will catch it, one in three people falls ill. Deaths are uncommon, but Supers are not.

Are there any Supers who have become essentially indestructible through their powers? Also, is there a way to test people for powers with a blood sample, or some similar method?

None as of yet, though increased strength does give a Super proportionate resistance to injury. 

At this point, the best way people have to test others for powers is to see if they develop them after they recover from their illness, which isn't the best method at all. Some blood tests are currently in development. 

What are some of the more... unusual powers you have encountered?

Powers follow a very predictable pattern, so far as we can tell. You have your physical Supers, your energy Supers, your mental Supers. Powers within those strains vary in strength, but you won't see anything outlandish like the power to, say, always pull a sandwich out of your pocket even if you don't have a pocket.

Three questions for Ms. Whitelaw:

Can you choose to 'turn off' your powers, ignoring all possible futures and being as blind to the possibilities around you as everyone else?

Do you play chess?

Would you rather fight one precognitive duck, or a dozen duck-sized precogs?

​It's….Gillespie.

Yes, I can turn it off, but I don't want to miss anything, so I don't do this often. If someone is injured because I wasn't paying attention, their blood is on my hands. No, it doesn't matter if I'm off the clock.

I used to, with Fath—Rev. Whitelaw.

Um….

​….

​….

​…..

This is a trick question, isn't it?

The trick to the question is developing a new virus strain for animals. :ph34r:

Anyway, how would any of you react if you came across someone that can pull sandwiches out of a not exsistent pocket or literally gives of black smoke of evilness?

God, I'm glad animals didn't catch this. Our boys have enough trouble dealing with human Supers; I can't think the mess the city'd be in if they had to rescue kids from fire-breathing cats or super-strong moose.

Well, the black smoke would make my job a great deal easier, that's for sure. No need to read him; just look for the black smoke! I wonder if that would be admissible evidence in court, or if you'd need more proof of intent….

If he's bad enough that black smoke pours off of him, then I'm sure there's plenty of evidence that would hold up in court.

Lee: The sandwich Super would be a fantastic asset for soup kitchens.