So... does gold compounding make you immortal?

DeadFencer

Gold Compound makes you invincible but you will die of old age. Miles himself said something like that.

And of course if the Gold Compound gives to you an endless life, TLR have no need of the Atium Feruchemy.

Edited by Yata

Dying from old age itself rarely happens on Scadrial I reckon, since I doubt medical science is anywhere near the point of being able to solve all health deficiencies that stem from aging. That's usually what kills you, not the genetic breakdown, and that Feruchemical gold can fix.

So gold compounders can't be killed but can still die, basically.

It'd likely extend your life pretty significantly but you would eventually die.

Untrue. In the original trilogy, it is told and shown to us that the Lord Ruler lived as long as he did because he could compound atium which stores physical age. The only way that compounding gold would slow aging would be if the healing process healed skin cells at an extremely advanced pace. The problem with that theory is that gold stores physical health and not your innate healing ability. You can use health to get yourself back to a standard state, but you must be able to exist in that state before you start compounding gold.

For example, if you were born with, say, one foot half the size of the other, then you could not compound gold to make your small foot the size of your regular foot. This is because for you, a standard state is when one foot is smaller than the other. You were born than way. On the other hand, if your foot was crushed to half the size when you knew how to compound, then you would be able to regrow your foot to a regular size since you were not born with a misshapen foot. You did not always have two different sized feet, and so your normal state of being is with two regular feet.

I think that you actually could heal the birth defect foot, hypothetically. And I see no conflict between using gold to extend life and using atium. TLR may have used gold compounding to offset the need to tap atium a bit. But only a bit.

Untrue. In the original trilogy, it is told and shown to us that the Lord Ruler lived as long as he did because he could compound atium which stores physical age. The only way that compounding gold would slow aging would be if the healing process healed skin cells at an extremely advanced pace. The problem with that theory is that gold stores physical health and not your innate healing ability. You can use health to get yourself back to a standard state, but you must be able to exist in that state before you start compounding gold.

For example, if you were born with, say, one foot half the size of the other, then you could not compound gold to make your small foot the size of your regular foot. This is because for you, a standard state is when one foot is smaller than the other. You were born than way. On the other hand, if your foot was crushed to half the size when you knew how to compound, then you would be able to regrow your foot to a regular size since you were not born with a misshapen foot. You did not always have two different sized feet, and so your normal state of being is with two regular feet.

Well it could heal your skin cells but my point was that 'age' doesn't kill you, things like organ failure or cancer do. I'm not suggesting that TLR only used gold, he obviously used Atium, but you could probably live a good 130 years, maybe longer if you stuck with gold.

Also I disagree with your point on birth defects, it's all about your cognitive perception of yourself, if you didn't view that as being your natural state then it would probably heal.

Also I disagree with your point on birth defects, it's all about your cognitive perception of yourself, if you didn't view that as being your natural state then it would probably heal.

I am fairly certain that you would. Ever since birth, you would have known yourself to be that way. You would know that others are not like that, but you have no idea what it truly means and feels like to have normal sized feet.

I am fairly certain that you would. Ever since birth, you would have known yourself to be that way. You would know that others are not like that, but you have no idea what it truly means and feels like to have normal sized feet.

I don't think it's particularly likely, my point was just that it's not impossible.

• 11 months later...
On 1/6/2016 at 7:34 PM, Kynedath said:

I believe it depends on what caused the defect. For instance, If it was genetics it would be a problem. I don't believe that defects caused by genetics can be affected by bloodmaker compounding, after all, it just basically speeds up the process fast enough that attacks that would be deadly to a normal person won't affect a bloodmaker purely because he heals it too fast for the attack to affect his body systems. So, if the defect was caused by a mishap during birth, or outer problems, then bloodmaking can fix it

In Cosmere, death due to advanced age has dependencies on your spiritual age, which gold feruchemy cannot affect. It seems to be that a specie is templated

for a certain age, and when they reach it spiritually they die. In other words, the spiritual age causes the physical death inevitably, and gold feruchemy cannot stop that because how you change/heal yourself using it stems from your spiritual aspect. Atium feruchemy gets around that by using compounding to lessen your spiritual age. As such, physical age isn't exhibited, and related deficiencies, are not exhibited.

Warbreaker spoilers

Spoiler

Because of a WoB on how spiritual age works, someone theorized that breath on Nalthis works the opposite way as atium, changing what your spiritual age limit is by virtue of being connected to "god", aka something (Endowment) which doesn't have a cap. 

I think what was trying to be stated was that gold healing will extend your lifespan compared to others in the same way modern medicine has for us. Dying of old age is kind of a pointless saying in that it tells you very little about how someone actually died. Years ago people probably died of old age at 30 because half the deseases were unknown or untreatable. I find it unlikely that almost everyone in Era 2 is making it to the near maximum of their lifespan yet (meaning spiritual lifespan I guess, unless spiritual lifespan means how long you think you should live instead of how long the Shards created you to live).

Also, I was under the impression that gold compounding gave you more than you put in. While you cannot really heal up to more than your normal level (I'm ignoring the foot stuff), you will essentially be able to avoid most common illnesses that are know to cause death to old people provided you have a reserve. Your body will still deteriorate and likely experience other problems due to your basline level of health naturally decreasing over time but you will still live longer.

Edited by nervousnerd

21 hours ago, Saikyk said:

I believe it depends on what caused the defect. For instance, If it was genetics it would be a problem. I don't believe that defects caused by genetics can be affected by bloodmaker compounding, after all, it just basically speeds up the process fast enough that attacks that would be deadly to a normal person won't affect a bloodmaker purely because he heals it too fast for the attack to affect his body systems. So, if the defect was caused by a mishap during birth, or outer problems, then bloodmaking can fix it

Actually, the healing is spiritual in nature, filtered through your self perception. So if someone had CF but perceived themselves as having properly functioning lungs they probably could heal the genetic defect. It would just take a ton of gold stores or a compounder.

Very true. My point was mainly that the gold wouldn't heal stuff which occurs as a result of aging like cellular degeneration and the build-up of substances in the body. You wouldn't die to non-age related things, but you would still weaken and could die before 100 anyways.

• Chaos locked this topic