What color are the shattered plains?

fastlindyrick

Does anyone know what color the shattered plains are?  The cover art depicts them as red, but I don't trust cover art and anyway that could just be due to the sunset.  I have scoured the text and have not found any specific reference to the ground other than frequent references that it is stone.

I'm trying to recreate them in Lego, so any other relevant environmental descriptors would be helpful.  Thanks!

Writers rarely give details like the color of stone, preferring the reader to imagine them as they wish, unless the detail is important to the story. I don't think Sanderson has ever said what the color of the stone on the Shattered Plains is, but I have always imagined it brown.

Still, if anyone can quote a passage in TWoKs where the color of the stone is stated please point it out. Don't go by the cover. The cover artists focus more on what looks good than what is actually in the text. For example, Dalinar's cloak is the wrong color on the cover of TWoKs.

There are two quotes from WoK that imply the rock is brown, however both are referring to soul cast rock, so take that as you will.  

Chapter 61

"Dalinar stared toward the wall over Renarin's head, looking at the smooth brown Soulcast Rock."

The second is less direct, but I take it as referring to the barrack as Kaladin is stuck in the barrack staring at spheres all day:

Chapter 59

"The Radiant in this room is very, very tired of the color brown"

There's also references to Tien's rocks as brown, black and white strata, which would imply a lot of Roshar is also brown. That being said, I think it's best left to however you view it in your own imagination.

Edited by deddinty

If the artwork from WoR is not enough for you, crem is described as sludgy brown in chapter 16, and the rock inside the mountain where Shallan is staying is described as brown in chapter 42. 

.  The second is less direct, but I take it as referring to the barrack as Kaladin is stuck in the barrack staring at spheres all day:

Actually I thought Kaladin was referring to the Topaz spheres he was looking at. Still the references you brought up maybe the reason I imagined the stone on the Shattered Plains as brown.

If the artwork from WoR is not enough for you, crem is described as sludgy brown in chapter 16, and the rock inside the mountain where Shallan is staying is described as brown in chapter 42. 

Shallan is in a completely different place. However, maybe the color of crem does affect the color of the plains. Excellent research.

I generally refer to the slot canyons and gullies of Utah when seeking reference, partly because it's ideal for the formations and partly because it's in Brandon's back yard (so to speak), and I think it's most likely what he imagines when he's writing about it.

Antelope Canyon is an ideal example of how I imagine the rock of the chasms to be, with the tops like rough mesas, and the deep floors almost swampy and moist, with clinging rockbuds and cremlings growing anywhere they can.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=antelope+canyon

Google Image is our friend. :)

I think there's a tendency to default thinking about rock and stone as "grey", but there's a lot more color potential there than we might realize.

• Chaos locked this topic