Random Renarin musings

Blightsong

So recently I was pruning through theoryland and remembered that most healing magic in the cosmere works on the basis that people healed by magic are healed into how they see themselves. If this is the case than why does Renarin no longer need his glasses?

The only thing I can think of is that whatever Dalinar dud with the Nightwatcher DID screw with Renarin somehow. Tell me what you guys think.

I don't think that's necessarily what's happened.

I mean he wears glasses but he sees clearly with them so I don't think he would necessarily think he should have glasses, and if he takes the glasses off he'll be in a state where he can't see which wouldn't seem normal? So the stormlight might just be trying to correct his vision in that way without a conscious will shaping it.

kind of like Lopen having his arm growing back, it seems unnatural to him still to be one-armed, and if you wear glasses it is possible to forget about them and when you remove them you go oh now there is no focus.

it would just seem odd that Dalinars boon/curse would affect Renarin.

kind of like Lopen having his arm growing back, it seems unnatural to him still to be one-armed, and if you wear glasses it is possible to forget about them and when you remove them you go oh now there is no focus.

Lopen's arm growing back seems like the most likely precedence for Renarin's eyes healing. I suspect that if we asked Brandon we would find out the Renarin did not need glasses as a small child. So his Cognitive norm does not need glasses.

Careful, we do not know the true extend of Renarin's eye disease. Having glasses does not mean being completely blind: many of us just have a few issues seeing from afar or from up close but we still could go on without them.

I suspect Renarin's eye issues likely arose later in his life, many children do not need glasses until they reach an older age. He thus clearly remember a time where he did not need his glasses and strove to get back to it. To fuel up this theory some more, I'd like to point that if he were completely blind without them, surely his family would have reacted to him removing them. They just thought he wanted to look like a soldier, but nobody wondered if he go on with his life without them. This tells me his eye vision issues are not overly terrible. He still sees without them, but not very well.

Renarin may likely see his glasses as an impediment to being him, too, meaning he doesn't see them as a natural part of himself, but something he has to endure, like his epilepsy.  In that case, his cognitive perception (and spiritual self) would lead to Stormlight healing him to the way he feels he should be.  As Iron Eyes said, I think the same is true of The Lopen; he accepted that his arm was gone (he could joke about it comfortably), but not that it should be that way.

jW

I think that Kaladin's scars not healing are the deviation from the norm, not vice versa. His depression is significantly warping the way that he sees himself. For Stormlight to not heal a Radiant back to the ideal of health, there has to be a strong psychological reason that they feel themselves unworthy of, or fundamentally alienated from, that ideal.

• Chaos locked this topic